Started by xenomorph36, Dec 26, 2007, 04:38:16 PM

Which AvP movie do you like better?

AvP
AvPR
Author
Poll: AvP vs AvPR (Read 693,641 times)

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

No, she was fighting because she had no choice. In the first instance, she was sitting down, pinned up against a wall with nowhere to go and in the second, the only way out was up, but she needed Scar with her so she had to blast the Alien off his shoulder.

Milan

Milan

Quoteauthor=DoomRulz link=topic=12160.msg544179#msg544179 date=1253336556]
No, she was fighting because she had no choice. In the first instance, she was sitting down, pinned up against a wall with nowhere to go...

She could have thrown herself forward under the alien or to the sides, she could also try to get up on her feet,
in an attempt to run for it, Consequence doesn't apply when dealing with actions done as a result of acting on your instincts. Many times we see people freeze when being found by the Alien, she could have done that as well, cause she was also scared shitless.
However, doing any of this only proves that you are not a warrior spirit.

Quote...and in the second, the only way out was up, but she needed Scar with her so she had to blast the Alien off his shoulder.

...there were also a bomb counting down, she could have left Scar with the aliens and jumped on the sled alone.

All she then could have done was to stay away from the queen until others arrive, as Weyland said, he wasn't the only one with a satelite over the place, others would turn up there eventually to investigate what happened, she could then tell them what happened and leave the queen for some other branch, like the military.

Or she could have stayed down at the pyramid with Scar while he was being attacked, crying, trying too push the Alien away from him while screaming; Leave Him Alone!!! Oh, my god, you're killing him!!! Noooo!!!!...

...BOOM!

Instead she decided too aim and shoot the Alien in the head.
She once again took an aggressive action.

I think that we are relating to the word "Warrior spirit" differently.

If you are walking alone and three guys try to jump you,
If you fight, even when you're scared, even when you know that the odds are against you, even if you lose. I would say that you had a warrior spirit.
But if you run, surrender or got beaten down and never once try to hurt the other guy, I would say that you didn't have it in you.
Having a Warrior Spirit is all about what you do, consequences ain't a priority, you can't help it, you're mind might scream "RUN" but you're body doesn't follow, instead you find yourself fighting while you should be running for your dear life.
And you can have a warrior spirit without even being physical, cause "fight" and "fight back" can happen on the mental level, like when going up against your boss or teacher when he or she have done or said something wrong or if you're sick fighting the cancer spreading through your body while laying in a hospital bed.
Even in a discussion on this forum, you when you find yourself fighting to prove your point. :)

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Milan on Sep 19, 2009, 12:27:50 PM
She could have thrown herself forward under the alien or to the sides, she could also try to get up on her feet, in an attempt to run for it

What?? Dude, there was no way she would have been able to react quickly enough. If she even attempted to move, she would have been dead in the freaking water.

Quote from: Milan on Sep 19, 2009, 12:27:50 PMConsequence doesn't apply when dealing with actions done as a result of acting on your instincts. Many times we see people freeze when being found by the Alien, she could have done that as well, cause she was also scared shitless.
However, doing any of this only proves that you are not a warrior spirit.

She reacted on instinct: fight or flight. She couldn't run because she had nowhere to go. So what does she do? Grab the closest weapon to her and injure the Alien as much as possible. There is no "warrior spirit" here.

Quote from: Milan on Sep 19, 2009, 12:27:50 PMAll she then could have done was to stay away from the queen until others arrive, as Weyland said, he wasn't the only one with a satelite over the place, others would turn up there eventually to investigate what happened, she could then tell them what happened and leave the queen for some other branch, like the military.

"Stay away from the Queen until the others arrive"? That's your solution? The Queen tends to kill those involved in the destruction of her hive, in case you didn't notice.

Quote from: Milan on Sep 19, 2009, 12:27:50 PMOr she could have stayed down at the pyramid with Scar while he was being attacked, crying, trying too push the Alien away from him while screaming; Leave Him Alone!!! Oh, my god, you're killing him!!! Noooo!!!!...

...BOOM!

Instead she decided too aim and shoot the Alien in the head.
She once again took an aggressive action.

Because she had no choice. There was no way she would've made it out of their alive without Scar's help so she had to save him, irrespective of whether she wanted to or not.

Quote from: Milan on Sep 19, 2009, 12:27:50 PMI think that we are relating to the word "Warrior spirit" differently.

If you are walking alone and three guys try to jump you,
If you fight, even when you're scared, even when you know that the odds are against you, even if you lose. I would say that you had a warrior spirit.
But if you run, surrender or got beaten down and never once try to hurt the other guy, I would say that you didn't have it in you.
Having a Warrior Spirit is all about what you do, consequences ain't a priority, you can't help it, you're mind might scream "RUN" but you're body doesn't follow, instead you find yourself fighting while you should be running for your dear life.
And you can have a warrior spirit without even being physical, cause "fight" and "fight back" can happen on the mental level, like when going up against your boss or teacher when he or she have done or said something wrong or if you're sick fighting the cancer spreading through your body while laying in a hospital bed.
Even in a discussion on this forum, you when you find yourself fighting to prove your point. :)

Warrior is a very strong word and it can't be applied to Lex because she only committed one real act of bravery: shooting the Alien in the head. She saved Scar's life because she needed his help, not because she loved him (though arguably the following scene would suggest otherwise...) She took on the Queen, but she had to, again, because there was no other option. Running away would have meant instant death. She's certainly a fighter, but until she becomes the next Machiko, she's no warrior.

Celtic-predator

Celtic-predator

Quote from: DoomRulz on Sep 19, 2009, 02:28:37 PM
She reacted on instinct: fight or flight. She couldn't run because she had nowhere to go. So what does she do? Grab the closest weapon to her and injure the Alien as much as possible. There is no "warrior spirit" here.

You're assuming she'd be rational enough to realize that she had nowhere to go. If she's out of her mind she's not going to care that she won't be able to try a side-jump or whatever to get out of the path of the Alien's leap, she'll just try and get killed regardless.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

It's got nothing to do with being rational. When you're pressed up against a wall and there's an 8 foot monster staring right at you about to jump, it becomes rather obvious.

Rabies

Rabies

Exactly

Vulhala

Vulhala

I always got the impression that she thought,

"That thing doesn't look nearly as hardcore as the one in the first movie, f**k it"

And went for it.

Milan

Milan

Quote from: Celtic-predator on Sep 20, 2009, 10:37:28 AM
Quote from: DoomRulz on Sep 19, 2009, 02:28:37 PM

You're assuming she'd be rational enough to realize that she had nowhere to go. If she's out of her mind she's not going to care that she won't be able to try a side-jump or whatever to get out of the path of the Alien's leap, she'll just try and get killed regardless.

This.

As I previous said, consequences doesn't matter when dealing with actions done as a reflex or by instinct.
Why? cause you don't think about it in that way when acting upon a reflex.
You don't think at all, you just "do".
Warrior spirit is what you are deep down, it's not a thing that you can turn on or off.
When not given the time to think it always comes through.
You can't say that a "fighter" lacks "warrior spirit" when the fighter fights, even if he or she in the end loses the fight.

Lex grabbed a spear while others would have tried to get away, that's proof of a Warrior Spirit.
When put in a situation where her life was at risk she acted aggressively, that's proof of a warrior spirit too.
You are right about her not being next Machiko, but if the series continue she could become the next Sarah Connor...
...Trying to sabotage the Weyland Yutani corporation, might have spelled the name wrong.

However, This discussion started with me claiming that the alien didn't just walk into the spear,
and that she got "accepted" by Scar for proving that she had a "warrior spirit", he was aiming at her then he looked at the alien who she killed seconds before, "fight or flight" you say, if you're reaction would be "fight" then you got yourself a warrior spirit. And did she "fight", yes.
Did she get lucky, hell yes!
If she would have reacted one second later she would have died, the alien would have jumped over the spear, would she have done the "flight" part then she might have died too.
either by the hands of the Alien or the Predator.

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

How the hell is AvP:R winning? Seriously! I would rather watch Plan 9 From Outer Space two dozen more times then watch the f**king excuse for a "film" once more. Everything sucked about it: shitty storyline, one-dimensional characters, horrible Alien designs (I mean, seriously; what the f**k is up with the Predalien? Why are parts of it green? And why does it have dreadlocks? Human-born Aliens don't have penises or breasts!), terrible fights, and blatant canon-raping. The only good thing about it was that it made this possible.

SM

SM

Awesome  :D

Puks

Puks

That video is much better than the actual movie!  :D

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

That's exactly what I thought. I liked the end the best.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

I'll bite, that vid was awesomesauce :D

Meh, I'll take AvP:R over A:R, AvP, and A3 any day of the week. At least it kept me entertained.

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

All that movie did was make me nauseous.

Oh, yes, and want to gouge out my eyes.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

You can see pretty clearly if you can still type.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed