Gorman the Idiot

Started by happypred, Dec 09, 2007, 06:56:32 AM

Author
Gorman the Idiot (Read 6,404 times)

happypred

happypred

I haven't watched Aliens in a couple of years but upon re-viewing I just realized what an idiot Gorman was...he made the worst decisions possible. He always came off as inept to me but after re-watching Aliens this time, it just struck me harder. 

Dark Passenger

Dark Passenger

I guess it was because he didnt have much experience, and what an experience he went through......an alien hive! no wonder he frose still all the time....

happypred

happypred

"If you shoot in there you might set off a thermonuclear explosion"

"Uhhh...use only flame units...hand all your ammunition to that one dude...and errr proceed"

Dark Passenger

Dark Passenger

Quote from: happypred on Dec 09, 2007, 07:26:58 AM
"If you shoot in there you might set off a thermonuclear explosion"

"Uhhh...use only flame units...hand all your ammunition to that one dude...and errr proceed"

Yeah he should have told them why they couldnt use there pulse rifles and smartguns......

Sprout

Sprout

Two things that make him fail. First he didn't confidence in his men. He always stayed behind in the vehicle (that may have been part of his job though), and he didn't order the vehicle in to support them when they needed it. His own caution (or fear) worked against him. And second the order to collect the clips was highly questionable. The order should have been not to fire them. Showing the men he doesn't trust them is a bad move.

Either way his failure seems to bother him so much he does not appear to resume command when he comes out of his concussion.

Anyway when he is calm he seems competent enough, but he buckles under pressure.

Dark Passenger

Dark Passenger

Quote from: Sprout on Dec 09, 2007, 11:38:06 AM
Two things that make him fail. First he didn't confidence in his men. He always stayed behind in the vehicle (that may have been part of his job though), and he didn't order the vehicle in to support them when they needed it. His own caution (or fear) worked against him. And second the order to collect the clips was highly questionable. The order should have been not to fire them. Showing the men he doesn't trust them is a bad move.

Either way his failure seems to bother him so much he does not appear to resume command when he comes out of his concussion.

Anyway when he is calm he seems competent enough, but he buckles under pressure.

this is how he is,

he buckles under pressure, he acts serious all the time(takes his job seriously) and that prevents him from getting to know his squad etc.
but he isnt as bad as burke......so overall he probably is a good guy but fails what it means to be bonding with his men, which means they dont have respect for him, i mean look how they respect apone.....

maledoro

maledoro

Quote from: Darth Vader on Dec 09, 2007, 07:39:34 AM
Yeah he should have told them why they couldnt use there pulse rifles and smartguns......
And he shouldn't have allowed them to use flamethrowers in an enclosed area.

Dark Passenger

Dark Passenger

Quote from: maledoro on Dec 09, 2007, 11:55:30 AM
Quote from: Darth Vader on Dec 09, 2007, 07:39:34 AM
And he shouldn't have allowed them to use flamethrowers in an enclosed area.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v338/maledoro/Elves/shocked.gif

not like they had much choice though ey.

maledoro

maledoro

Quote from: Darth Vader on Dec 09, 2007, 11:57:51 AM
Flamethrowers shouldn't have been on the menu when they were loading up. They knew that they were going to go inside some buildings for their mission. Flamethrowers are for external use only.

Dark Passenger

Dark Passenger

Quote from: maledoro on Dec 09, 2007, 12:02:06 PM
Quote from: Darth Vader on Dec 09, 2007, 11:57:51 AM
Flamethrowers shouldn't have been on the menu when they were loading up. They knew that they were going to go inside some buildings for their mission. Flamethrowers are for external use only.

Ripley might have suggested it?? because she new about the acid blood and all.....

maledoro

maledoro

Quote from: Darth Vader on Dec 09, 2007, 12:10:38 PM
Ripley might have suggested it?? because she new about the acid blood and all.....
It's unlikely. First, the marines didn't take her seriously until after their first skirmish with the aliens. Secondly, if it were a real-life situation, the marines would have informed her of the risks and dangers of using flamethrowers in an enclosed space in close quarter combat, such as suffocation of the marines, higher risk of friendly fire (literal) deaths (as the flame units are less predictable than projectile weapons), etc.

Dark Passenger

Dark Passenger

Quote from: maledoro on Dec 09, 2007, 01:05:30 PM
Quote from: Darth Vader on Dec 09, 2007, 12:10:38 PM
It's unlikely. First, the marines didn't take her seriously until after their first skirmish with the aliens. Secondly, if it were a real-life situation, the marines would have informed her of the risks and dangers of using flamethrowers in an enclosed space in close quarter combat, such as suffocation of the marines, higher risk of friendly fire (literal) deaths (as the flame units are less predictable than projectile weapons), etc.

i dint think the planned on using them.....

maledoro

maledoro

Quote from: Darth Vader on Dec 09, 2007, 01:09:46 PM
Then they wouldn't have taken them. Flamethrowers are used mostly for clearing brush. One of the very few instances that they are used in a combat situation is that the operator would fire a blast into an enemy bunker to either flame the occupants or to burn up their air supply, suffocating them. Of course when he does this, he doesn't go into the bunker; he flames it from outside.

Accaris

Accaris

Quote from: maledoro on Dec 09, 2007, 01:14:20 PM
Quote from: Darth Vader on Dec 09, 2007, 01:09:46 PM
Then they wouldn't have taken them. Flamethrowers are used mostly for clearing brush. One of the very few instances that they are used in a combat situation is that the operator would fire a blast into an enemy bunker to either flame the occupants or to burn up their air supply, suffocating them. Of course when he does this, he doesn't go into the bunker; he flames it from outside.

These guys are bug stompers. Where are bugs likely to be? There are a million hidey holes for bugs in a place like Hadley's Hope. Can't really imagine an easier or more effective way to clear out a duct, burrow, or other enclosed space than with a flamethrower. 

Porkus Maximus

Porkus Maximus

Except as Maledoro just pointed out, you stand outside and fire the flame thrower into the enclosed space.  I believe in WWII flame thrower operators had to be able to hold their breath for several minutes because of the fire sucking up all their oxygen and that was when they were standing in the open. 

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed