660 (50.2%)
Predators
654 (49.8%)

Total Members Voted: 1202

Author
Alien or Predator? (Read 470,656 times)

MrBrokenTusks.

MrBrokenTusks.

I wouldn't call any man a retard since it is a derogatory term that bears no meaning to the conversation, bad director is fine even worst director ever. Though how can you base a director(s) (in this case) on one film. I mean look at george lucas his films have sucked, sucked hard recently yet he has made arguably some of the best movies ever, so don't base a director of one movie.

EDIT: the above explained it better than me listen to them!

BANE

BANE

Quote from: MadassAlex on Aug 18, 2010, 01:19:25 AM
They were just chugging down the wrong direction for the sort of film we wanted.

I'm sure that the responses to AvPR have been very illluminating for both of them.

The whole reason i called them retarded was because they claimed to have watched Aliens loads of times (as well as both the original and Alien 3 and Resurrection, I would presume...just maybe not as much), and yet they still manage to make a movie with so much stuff that is ridiculously and blatantly nonsensical inside the respective creatures' the universes. I have no idea why I'm being attacked, nor do I have any idea why these gentlemen (who I personally consider far below the average IQ line) are being defended. Call it as it is: they're stupid.

QuoteOne bad film doesn't make them idiots. They know the industry. They just happened to make a bad film. Happens to all directors, even the best ones.
And why was the film bad, besides filmmaking choices? Because of what I explained above, really.  :-\

MrBrokenTusks.

MrBrokenTusks.

Quote from: BLAIN on Aug 18, 2010, 01:23:59 AM
They were just chugging down the wrong direction for the sort of film we wanted.

I'm sure that the responses to AvPR have been very illluminating for both of them.

The whole reason i called them retarded was because they claimed to have watched Aliens loads of times (as well as both the original and Alien 3 and Resurrection, I would presume...just maybe not as much), and yet they still manage to make a movie with so much stuff that is ridiculously and blatantly nonsensical inside the respective creatures' the universes. I have no idea why I'm being attacked, nor do I have any idea why these gentlemen (who I personally consider far below the average IQ line) are being defended. Call it as it is: they're stupid.

And what your doing to them isn't? It isn't a attack, just whats the point in having hard feelings about a film that you never have to watch again. Plus there new film looks pretty amazing so far, and in interviews they seem pretty down to earth people. Yes while they like there move were most others hate it, who wouldn't in there situation I personally would love if I made avp:r obviously I would of preferred to make alien but yer don't blame them for liking what they made it is a natural reaction

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: BLAIN on Aug 18, 2010, 01:23:59 AM

QuoteOne bad film doesn't make them idiots. They know the industry. They just happened to make a bad film. Happens to all directors, even the best ones.
And why was the film bad, besides filmmaking choices? Because of what I explained above, really.  :-\

You're calling them stupid because they made a movie. That's even stupider. A bad movie doesn't make them idiots. They may be ignorant of what made the originals good in most cases but like I said, owning your own FX company and working on almost every single major blockbuster makes you pretty damn good at what you do.

BANE

BANE

QuoteAnd what your doing to them isn't? It isn't a attack, just whats the point in having hard feelings about a film that you never have to watch again. Plus there new film looks pretty amazing so far, and in interviews they seem pretty down to earth people. Yes while they like there move were most others hate it, who wouldn't in there situation I personally would love if I made avp:r obviously I would of preferred to make alien but yer don't blame them for liking what they made it is a natural reaction

You make a good point in me not having to watch it again. But its like eating something that leaves a bad aftertaste in your mouth: you may not have to eat the food again, but that lingering memory is still there.

Yes, their new movie looks good. But is it a sequel, or did they have unlimited creative freedom where they could do whatever they wanted and they had no rules to stay inside of? I call them retarded mainly because of how they seemed to disregard previously established rules. Yes, I don't have to watch the movie again, but there's still that lingering effect...

QuoteYou're calling them stupid because they made a movie. That's even stupider. A bad movie doesn't make them idiots.
And I agree with you. But I call them retards/idiots mainly because, as stated above, they blatantly step over previously established rules and lines as if those rules weren't even there.
For example, allow me to retell a story of one of my friends in my calculus class. We were learning how to solve systems of planes using matrices by reducing the planes' forumlas down to reduced row echelon form. Now, the teacher taught us one way how to do it to get it right every time. Then, the test comes around, and my friend decides to do it differently, in a way that would seemingly make sense, yet got a completely wrong answer, disregarding the previously established rule set down by the teacher. Does that make him stupid? Yes, but only in reduced row echelon form, and in that instance. He blatantly disregarded the one rule laid down on him, just like the Brothers disregarded the rules set down by the predecessing films. Did that make my friend stupid in calculus? No, he got an 87%. But in reduced row echelon form, he was stupid.

SM

SM

QuoteThe whole reason i called them retarded was because they claimed to have watched Aliens loads of times (as well as both the original and Alien 3 and Resurrection, I would presume...just maybe not as much), and yet they still manage to make a movie with so much stuff that is ridiculously and blatantly nonsensical inside the respective creatures' the universes.

They said they watched it.  They didn't claim they'd actually taken anything in about what made them good (or not) films.

Anderson said he studied Alien and Aliens for the pacing in regards to the big reveal.  And yet he failed utterly in getting the audience to connect with the characters like they did in Alien and Aliens when nothing happens for the first 45 minutes.

JPJ studied the editing of Hollywood action films in order to get a feel for what the studio and audience might want, and it didn't help much if you ask most people round here.

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

While "retard" might be a bit harsh, calling the BS "stupid" or "dumb" might be more applicable, considering some of the ridiculously awful decisions they made throughout the course of the film. Clearly, they're good at what they go if they can keep an FX company running, but it doesn't seem to me that they applied much intelligence to AvPR.

Drago-Morph

Drago-Morph

Quote from: BLAIN on Aug 18, 2010, 01:09:50 AM
Quote from: DoomRulz on Aug 18, 2010, 01:08:08 AM
Considering he owns his own FX company with his brother, I wouldn't call him a young retard.
Requiem looked good effects wise.

Whut.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: BLAIN on Aug 18, 2010, 01:18:26 AM
Then how would you describe him?
As someone who didn't take the time to think about what he was doing.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Drago-Morph on Aug 18, 2010, 02:39:14 AM
Quote from: BLAIN on Aug 18, 2010, 01:09:50 AM
Quote from: DoomRulz on Aug 18, 2010, 01:08:08 AM
Considering he owns his own FX company with his brother, I wouldn't call him a young retard.
Requiem looked good effects wise.

Whut.
You can't deny the fact that the animatronics were really good. I could partly agree on the cgi though.

SiL

SiL

Wolf's face looked terrible in the execution - the design was fine. The Aliens never looked convincing. The CGI was always obvious.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

I'm talking about the actual movement of the faces and stuff. No stiffy, very fluid and almost natural looking. Not talking about design.

SiL

SiL

Again - The CGI always looked fake, Wolf's face had no subtle movement, the Aliens always looked like guys in rubber suits.

Spartan-06

Spartan-06

They should have called Stan Wintson Studios  ;D

The Demon

The Demon

I have no idea why they didn't. I mean its ALIENS vs PREDATOR. Many people would argue that Stan did the greatest Alien design. And he did infact create the Predator.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed