660 (50.2%)
Predators
654 (49.8%)

Total Members Voted: 1202

Author
Alien or Predator? (Read 470,765 times)

Drago-Morph

Drago-Morph

QuoteHow exactly is it "not too much trouble" ? He gets one 'easy' shot off in the rush of the fight, gets trampled over by the second, and then gets decimated by the original target.

It's not too much trouble because he spins around, kills an Alien in a single motion, then gets tackled by one only to kill it seconds later and then dies from Grid, which, according to the fact that he just killed those two Aliens, should not have happened.

Quoteand it would have helped to balance out the instant death of Gill. Talk about disrespectful. Gill was so owned, so dead, he got no chance...

It hardly needs "balancing out". Gill was killed because he didn't notice it. Same thing happened later on, when an Alien didn't realize Scar knew it was there and got instantly murdered. No complaints about that, so why should anyone complain about Gill? It was a fair kill.

Quoteand Scar, aside from one face hugger, and one alien that he quickly dispatches - never has a decent head-on fight with an alien.

He killed on Alien before it even knew he was aware of it, had a shooting gallery full of Aliens in which he dispatched multiple targets in seconds with no damage to himself, and then fought a Queen. The Aliens got one stealth kill and one "fair" kill. The Aliens hardly had the movie slanted to them as you would so imply.

Quotere aliens and predators equal? Depends on the alien, predator, Who has what in terms of equipment, who saw who first.... Many many elements play into it.

That's my point. If the two species fight can only be determined by circumstance instead of having one be the consistent winner aside from cases of luck on the part of the other, they're balanced.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Quote from: Drago-Morph on Mar 30, 2010, 12:45:17 AM
It's not too much trouble because he spins around, kills an Alien in a single motion, then gets tackled by one only to kill it seconds later and then dies from Grid, which, according to the fact that he just killed those two Aliens, should not have happened

Wrong. Just because a hunter kills a tiger once in one way, does not mean circumstances will repeat themselves. Especially when said hunter thought said tiger was still caged.

He killed on Alien before it even knew he was aware of it, had a shooting gallery full of Aliens in which he dispatched multiple targets in seconds with no damage to himself, and then fought a Queen. The Aliens got one stealth kill and one "fair" kill. The Aliens hardly had the movie slanted to them as you would so imply.

That isnt what I implied. Reread my post. I said "stand up." Meaning the alien and the predator are both fully aware of eachother and contend with eachother in CQB. Splattering aliens against the wall is not a stand up fight, slicing an alien standing behind you is not stand up. The queen fight was just a load of crap. the trained hunter who fully understands the creatures needs help from, and is succeceded by, the chick who has never heard of them before? Sure...

That's my point. If the two species fight can only be determined by circumstance instead of having one be the consistent winner aside from cases of luck on the part of the other, they're balanced.

Then theres no reason you should be against what I wrote. It was an example of extending the literal AvsPing going on, because there wasnt much of it in the film.

cvetan

cvetan

Quote from: Hive Tyrant on Mar 29, 2010, 07:23:06 PM
The Hunt goes wrong? They blow themselves up. That's how the Predators in the flashback did it -- now that was truly badass. Fighting 'till the bitter end. Scar sought help, which was weak. They're a bit like samurais... death before dishonour. Supposedly. And that's why Scar was a shitty Predator. Sure, he was smarter than the rest of his race, and I applaud him for seeking help, but it's not typical Predator behaviour.

I believe they only selfdestruct to prevent an outbrake or to hide their existence, in Avp, if Scar had not of exploded all of the aliens, they would've easily over ran him and be released onto earth, and in Predator, i think that "Anytime" exploded himself to hide his existence, i mean it wasn't a very impressive explosion.

In Avp i believe that Scar didn't seek help from Lex, but the other way around, i believe that Lex tagged along with Scar, and at h=the he thanked her, for she was worthy.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: SM on Mar 29, 2010, 10:09:02 PM
However had everything gone to plan, the Predators would've been able to slaughter Aliens at will with the shoulder gun things.  Never really thought that made sense...

You're right, but at the same time, I doubt that's what we would have seen in the film.

SM

SM

Obviously.

Still a dumb plot hole though.  Every time I think about giving AvP another chance, I get reminded of such stupidity as this.

SiL

SiL

Alien getting the drop - literally - on Scar in the ice-grotto (Not to mention Gill earlier) would suggest that even with guns, it wouldn't be just them shooting the Aliens (Unless they ran at them like with Scar).

Aeus

Aeus

The concept of anything getting that close to a Predator without it realizing is ridiculous. The creatures hearing is Daredevil insane.

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

Quote from: DoomRulz on Mar 29, 2010, 04:21:28 PM
And when I couple that scene with Anderson's admitted Alien preference, it's hard for me to not cry bias.

I'm not pointing any fingers in particular because they don't deserve to be pointed in the context of the regular members of this website, but:

When an Alien-preferential person got directive hold of the franchise, we had balanced, unpredictable battles that at least credited both sides.

The entire rest of the franchise has Aliens as cannon-fodder that runs stupidly into gunfire, AvP2010 perhaps excepted.

With all due respect, I'd rather see Alien-preferential people in control of this combined franchise. I'm not saying Predators aren't due some ass-kicking time, but the ridiculous mishandling of the Alien (and, sometimes, the resultant mishandling of the Predator) isn't just old - it's downright mind-numbing.

Besides, it doesn't matter that a director likes a particular species better. Their job isn't to take sides - it's to present to us a good movie. Any director with the slightest bit of sense won't let their own bias take wholesale control of the battles. If they err a bit in favour of their preferred monster, I don't really see an issue. The issue currently is that "erring" in favour of the Predator consists of downgrading the Alien.

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

Quote from: Aeus on Mar 30, 2010, 11:14:23 AM
The concept of anything getting that close to a Predator without it realizing is ridiculous. The creatures hearing is Daredevil insane.

Double posting because. Anyone who has a problem with this is welcome to take it up with the circumstance preventing me from using the modify button. Whatever they are.

Aliens being ridiculously, supernaturally sneaky and quick about things is in the job description. It's one of the main things anyone ever should have to watch out for - even Predators.

The PredBen

The PredBen

Both Anderson and The Strause Bro's had Alien Preferance. Now AVP:R was very pro - Predator and made the Predator look much stronger ( even though he was a dumb***) so I am not saying it was pro - Alien in the slightest.

But we haven't had any pro - Predators direct an AVP film ( although I don't want one I want a non biased one.)

Anyway AVP was pro - Alien. I mean they made Celtic and Gril/Chopper look pretty weak. Celtic , while he fought hard , did basically nothing to Grid ( other then cut off his tail which he didn't mind )

Also Scar should've killed Lex , she was armed with his plasma caster , or perhaps left her and ordered her not to tag along.

He was saved by Lex three times hardly a strong Predator.

Aeus

Aeus

Quote from: MadassAlex on Mar 30, 2010, 12:57:00 PM

Double posting because. Anyone who has a problem with this is welcome to take it up with the circumstance preventing me from using the modify button. Whatever they are.

Aliens being ridiculously, supernaturally sneaky and quick about things is in the job description. It's one of the main things anyone ever should have to watch out for - even Predators.

Not disputing that their stealthy. It doesn't matter though, the Predators' hearing is just too good.

Hive Tyrant

Hive Tyrant

Quote from: Aeus on Mar 30, 2010, 04:19:44 PM

Not disputing that their stealthy. It doesn't matter though, the Predators' hearing is just too good.

Their hearing is distorted by their mask and disturbed by the constant background noise thing that everybody seems to love. They can't hear shit.

Xenostalker

Xenostalker

Alien for me because they're a natural predator much like a lion or a wolf. They don't use technology because they themselves are a crawling weapon which lurks in the dark while stalking their prey for both harvesting and food!

Aeus

Aeus

Quote from: Hive Tyrant on Mar 30, 2010, 04:46:23 PM
Quote from: Aeus on Mar 30, 2010, 04:19:44 PM

Their hearing is distorted by their mask and disturbed by the constant background noise thing that everybody seems to love. They can't hear shit.

No, footfalls make enormous echoing noises.

SiL

SiL

And Aliens (When the script calls for it) make no noise. You can't hear what isn't there.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed