654 (49.8%)

Total Members Voted: 1202

Author
Alien or Predator? (Read 470,439 times)

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: Master Chief on Feb 23, 2018, 03:05:32 PM
Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Feb 23, 2018, 02:37:42 PM
[...]But preds are fascinating in their own way too.

I do like the Alien, but to me, the Predators are more fascinating.  It's because of the tech, the individual personalities, and the intelligence.  One could befriend one and get rides to other planets, whereas an Alien wouldn't even let you ride it.  :D

The predators definitely were the better choice in regards to creating worlds, mythos, technology, customs etc. The xenomorphs have the hive structure, but the humanoid qualities of the predators really lend themselves to creating interesting things beyond the creature itself. The reason I still fall on the Alien side of things I'd say, is mostly due to the fact that I prefer creatures that scare more than fascinate. I did once find the predator unnerving, but years of reading the novels and discovering all the interesting aspects of the Yautja have somewhat lessened their effectiveness as a fright for me. I look at the predator as a formidable humanoid adversary/ potential ally, whereas the xenomorphs are like a malevolent hive of spiders. One can't help but enjoy them both though.

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Honestly i think the first xenomorph of the first movie is the more fascinating one, the hive aspect added later is less frightening and mysterious to me. The first creature was so ominous, unfathomable, the way it was portrayed was perfect.

Darwinsgirl

Darwinsgirl

I do like the Alien, but to me, the Predators are more fascinating.  It's because of the tech, the individual personalities, and the intelligence.  One could befriend one and get rides to other planets, whereas an Alien wouldn't even let you ride it.  :D

It'd ride in YOU! :D

ALIEN all the way for me. I can appreciate your points Master Chief. I think the ALIEN is more intelligent than only acting instinctually . Though I wouldn't want them having "personalities". Why didn't the ALIEN chase after Ripley when she went to restart the cooling system? It didn't see her..OK...well why did it choose the lifeboat to hide in? It could have gone anywhere on the ship. Lucky Guess I don't think so. :)

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: Darwinsgirl on Feb 24, 2018, 04:57:05 PM

ALIEN all the way for me. I can appreciate your points Master Chief. I think the ALIEN is more intelligent than only acting instinctually . Though I wouldn't want them having "personalities". Why didn't the ALIEN chase after Ripley when she went to restart the cooling system? It didn't see her..OK...well why did it choose the lifeboat to hide in? It could have gone anywhere on the ship. Lucky Guess I don't think so. :)

Well said. And lest we forget, that in all of the venting and sheer space of the nostromo, that alien still managed to know someone was alone, and where they were. It managed to hunt down, outmaneuver and ambush Dallas without ever being seen or heard. Goodness sakes, it disappeared off the tracker. Probably because it stopped to analyze the situation and change tactics. As did the xenomorphs in Aliens. They knew right where the marines were, and systematically searched for a way in. I have a feeling they are far more intelligent and capable than folks give them credit for. They may not have language, names, or culture, but there is a silent intelligence there. You just don't know it until you're the victim of it.

XenoScorcher

XenoScorcher

I choose Alien simply because they are terrifying. It's the only creature from any films, comics, sci Fi novels that still scare me as an adult. They scared me then and still do now. Also they have a certain mystery behind them that we still have never seen yet. Their psychology is a mystery and what we don't know makes them my personal favorite.  :D

Master Chief

Master Chief

haha that's an easy one.  It's because the Alien was Kane reincarnate. ;)  Honestly, I'm going to go with luck.  I believe there was plenty of time for it to explore the ship as it looked for a nice cozy spot (away from all of the noise the humans were making) to die in. 

Don't get me wrong, Darwinsgirl and Huggs, I know the Alien is problem solving smart, they're just nowhere near the Predators intelligence, which is awe inspiring (I know they often make dumb decisions, but overall as a species, they're highly intelligent).

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: Master Chief on Feb 26, 2018, 08:01:07 PM

haha that's an easy one.  It's because the Alien was Kane reincarnate. ;)  Honestly, I'm going to go with luck.  I believe there was plenty of time for it to explore the ship as it looked for a nice cozy spot (away from all of the noise the humans were making) to die in. 

Don't get me wrong, Darwinsgirl and Huggs, I know the Alien is problem solving smart, they're just nowhere near the Predators intelligence, which is awe inspiring (I know they often make dumb decisions, but overall as a species, they're highly intelligent).

Point taken Chief. Perhaps it just comes down to something more akin to an animalistic intelligence vs a humanoid intelligence. The Alien being more like a shark detecting a drop of blood in such a large area of water, and relentlessly tracking and attacking the target. Whereas the predators are more capable of higher thought, and can create/use technology to their benefit. Both are effective in their own way, and for their particular purposes.

Darwinsgirl

Darwinsgirl

Quote from: Master Chief on Feb 26, 2018, 08:01:07 PM

Kane's reincarnate....your so clever MC ;) But "luck" in getting into the shuttle..with only 5 minutes to self-destruct. Seems pretty thin.
And the ALIEN was looking for the crew for potential hosts and for survival..eliminate a threat. Not for a place to die but to survive. :)

Master Chief

Master Chief

Quote from: Huggs on Feb 27, 2018, 06:01:50 AM
Point taken Chief. Perhaps it just comes down to something more akin to an animalistic intelligence vs a humanoid intelligence. The Alien being more like a shark detecting a drop of blood in such a large area of water, and relentlessly tracking and attacking the target. Whereas the predators are more capable of higher thought, and can create/use technology to their benefit. Both are effective in their own way, and for their particular purposes.
Well put.  8) The Alien possess extraordinary senses that make it the ultimate hunter/prey (depending on which side of the fence one is on) and the Predator uses its brain to try and kill it.

Quote from: Darwinsgirl on Feb 28, 2018, 09:41:10 PM
Kane's reincarnate....your so clever MC ;) But "luck" in getting into the shuttle..with only 5 minutes to self-destruct. Seems pretty thin.
And the ALIEN was looking for the crew for potential hosts and for survival..eliminate a threat. Not for a place to die but to survive. :)
haha I meant it had plenty of time to search the ship before chaos broke loose, and because of it's location, the evacuation shuttle was a perfect spot...to hide in, not die in.  ;)  I just find it hard to believe that the Alien understood the countdown sequence and Ripley's plan to destroy the ship.  I also can't believe Ripley just left Jonesy to die when the Alien was hanging out in the corridor.

RexXeno

RexXeno

Alien are for me
I absolutely LOVE the design, and the way they just move and act... it's truly "Alien" unlike the Predators which still feel somewhat human.

yautjapet

yautjapet

My vote definitely goes to the predator. To me the aliens serve as a good monster, but they're just slavering beasts - the predators have personalities, a culture and homeworld, choices to make, a code of honor. Not to mention I like getting to see different designs, both physically and in regards to their armor, equipment, etc. We get enough information about them to make them compelling while also being free to fill in the blanks with what we'd find interesting.

alexpop

alexpop

Predator.
Why ?
Has a sense of humour.
As in Predator 2," xxxx happens" ;D

bobby brown

bobby brown

Alien, just a magnificent beautiful beast in a terrific film series.

DogXeno

DogXeno

Hands down Aliens.  Why?  Well really its the mystery around them.  Predators are absolutely bad ass in their own way but are more action villainy then anything to me.  The Alien though...theres an entire mystery around them.  Bio-mechanical, soulless, almost mythical.  The design is purely beautiful to me and being a fan of HR Giger, it's their entire universe that sucks me in. 

The Predator I am a fan of.  Always have been.  But I never had an interest in them more than the movies.  The Alien though has always pulled me in.  Everything from the derelict ship, the space jockey, the whole stage of gestation, chestburster, from drone to queen and anything in between.  Are they engineered?  Are they natural?  Or a bit of both?  I know everyone has their ideas of that (especially with the new movies answering some of the big questions) but hands down the whole universe of Alien is simply the reason why. 

KobraKopp

KobraKopp

Aliens by far, i loved them as a kid and still do today :)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed