What Is Canon & Should We Care About It? Fting. Author Alex White - AvP Galaxy Podcast #184

Started by Corporal Hicks, May 13, 2024, 04:26:54 PM

Author
What Is Canon & Should We Care About It? Fting. Author Alex White - AvP Galaxy Podcast #184 (Read 2,758 times)

SM

Final product chained to the wall, yo.

Samhain13

Quote from: The Cruentus on May 13, 2024, 06:37:58 PMSame thing until the RPG made the distinction and even then, bar room canon, camp fire tales.

Also cold forge huggers were meant to be the "normal" ones and still injected instantly.

So my comment still stands.
Quote from: The Cruentus on May 13, 2024, 06:14:00 PM"52:39"

Bishop says.

"Surgically removed before embryo implantation."

Facehuggers die after what they do, the reason why those two huggers are still alive in those tubes is because they were removed before implantation can happen. So its previously established they don't instantly inject stuff.....

However....Cold forge and covenant have it that the black goo is injected instantly......

Sounds like a contradiction to me.

Kane's xray?

I blame Ridley for this, guy just doesnt give a shit and dick slaps any canon on his way into extinction.

They needed another alien on the movie, easier to just add the insta implantation crap. So since people wanted to fit in with his retcon they tried to follow on it.

dnicholson277

Quote from: Samhain13 on May 15, 2024, 06:39:00 PM
Quote from: The Cruentus on May 13, 2024, 06:37:58 PMSame thing until the RPG made the distinction and even then, bar room canon, camp fire tales.

Also cold forge huggers were meant to be the "normal" ones and still injected instantly.

So my comment still stands.
Quote from: The Cruentus on May 13, 2024, 06:14:00 PM"52:39"

Bishop says.

"Surgically removed before embryo implantation."

Facehuggers die after what they do, the reason why those two huggers are still alive in those tubes is because they were removed before implantation can happen. So its previously established they don't instantly inject stuff.....

However....Cold forge and covenant have it that the black goo is injected instantly......

Sounds like a contradiction to me.

Kane's xray?

I blame Ridley for this, guy just doesnt give a shit and dick slaps any canon on his way into extinction.

They needed another alien on the movie, easier to just add the insta implantation crap. So since people wanted to fit in with his retcon they tried to follow on it.

Kinda find it laughable that the maestro Ridders does the dirty on the lifecycle in a way that's worse than AVP Anderson but people make excuses.

The Cruentus

Yep. The life-cycle may have been stupidly fast in AVP but at least they didn't infect people in seconds.

He was trying to intentionally contradict AVP with his prequels too.  :laugh:

Slutty Badger

Quote from: dnicholson277 on May 15, 2024, 08:05:12 PMbut people make excuses.

Praetomorph life cycle is faster than the regular Xeno, deal with it.

SiL

Quote from: Slutty Badger on May 15, 2024, 08:49:10 PM
Quote from: dnicholson277 on May 15, 2024, 08:05:12 PMbut people make excuses.

Praetomorph life cycle is faster than the regular Xeno, deal with it.
Those distinctions don't exist in the movies, deal with it.

The Cruentus

They are one in the same as far as Ridley is concerned. It will take a film to retcon it, not a tier II.

Still Collating...

Quote from: The Cruentus on May 15, 2024, 09:11:04 PMThey are one in the same as far as Ridley is concerned. It will take a film to retcon it, not a tier II.

That's exactly the problem...

Quote from: The Cruentus on May 15, 2024, 08:09:33 PMYep. The life-cycle may have been stupidly fast in AVP but at least they didn't infect people in seconds.

He was trying to intentionally contradict AVP with his prequels too.  :laugh:

AvP at least remembered what Chestbursters look like. I mean, even AvPR's chestbursters were more accurate and closer to the original chestburster, than Ridley's "creative" endeavor in Covenant, which is hillarious. I know why he did it, I get the symbolism. The design is still ridiculous. You could've gotten the same message across with a different design. And that scene is a lot less important anyway. You can still make it to look like David's triumph without the silly hands in the air.

The Cruentus

Its a nice scene with nice music but it shouldn't be with the alien. If anything, David's successors should be something completely different.

SM

That thing that popped out of Rousseau didn't look like any chestburster I've ever seen.

Prez

Quote from: SM on May 15, 2024, 10:37:06 AM
Quote from: Prez on May 15, 2024, 09:20:19 AMWow. So many questions I want to ask you @SM. Never knew this. How does one get into a position to be even asked to write such a thing - I'm very intrigued (and forgive my ignorance if this is covering old ground for you).

It's down to SD Perry who put me in contact with Fox licensing while she was writing the Weyland-Yutani Report, and Willie Goldman who put me in touch with them again after staff changes and I lost contact.

After the Disney takeover the licensing staff were all laid off and I've not had contact since.

That's pretty amazing. Wow, what a gig! Shame about the crickets from Disney.

Slutty Badger

Quote from: SiL on May 15, 2024, 09:09:45 PMThose distinctions don't exist in the movies, deal with it.

They're right there on screen! The chestburster in Covenant even looks different to the regular version, telling us that this is a distinct variant of Xeno.

The Cruentus

Quote from: Slutty Badger on May 16, 2024, 08:18:49 AM
Quote from: SiL on May 15, 2024, 09:09:45 PMThose distinctions don't exist in the movies, deal with it.

They're right there on screen! The chestburster in Covenant even looks different to the regular version, telling us that this is a distinct variant of Xeno.

Alien in Aliens have different heads, Alien in Alien 3 has no dorsal tubes and has a different biomech structure.  Plus that burster was different too.
Design differences does not necessarily mean different species.

As far as the movie and Ridley is concerned, its the Alien and David created it. You don't have to like it, I don't, heck most don't

SiL

Quote from: Slutty Badger on May 16, 2024, 08:18:49 AM

Every film's burster has looked different. It doesn't tell us anything other than the directors wanted something specific.

David Weyland

David Weyland

At the end of the day think the variables in the species and the lifecycle adds depth.

For example, you could argue the Derelict's eggs were dormant for a long period of time so the metabolic reaction of the Face hugger's payload was  as a result slower, more sleepy in growing.

The only other long gestation in the franchise is Ripley's Queen in Alien 3. She had been in hypersleep so maybe a delay factor in that too.

Covenant's fast gestations can be explained as just a result of a very fresh creation that David made eggs without a Queen & harnessed direct from the pathogen with human dna so there was a more rapid reaction perhaps.
Anyway don't think it is an unfillable plot hole or an unsolvable contradiction

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed