Started by Corporal Hicks, Apr 02, 2024, 09:03:57 AM

Do you care about canon?

Yes
27 (61.4%)
No
17 (38.6%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Author
Do you care about canon? (Read 4,481 times)

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 06, 2024, 07:35:09 AMAnd it's why do you care about something you have no control over or influences you outside of the points I brought up.
Quote from: SiL on Apr 05, 2024, 09:05:31 PMpeople like shit to make sense and canon helps separate the wheat from the chaff.

As SM said, fandom abhors a vacuum. If there's no official canon announced people will have endless arguments over what is canon because it does matter to fandoms.

426Buddy

426Buddy

I used to care once...

These days I just don't care at all. As long as the film/game/book/comic is good then whatever. It's all just make believe anyway.

oduodu

oduodu

does anyone know what the full plot for alien 5 was? has that been revealed? i am asking because i want to know if it would have decanonised alien 3.

if it did would people be happy that a possibly new timeline existed for hix and noot?

would canon matter or not then?

SiL

SiL

Quote from: oduodu on Apr 06, 2024, 11:40:39 AMdoes anyone know what the full plot for alien 5 was? has that been revealed? i am asking because i want to know if it would have decanonised alien 3.

if it did would people be happy that a possibly new timeline existed for hix and noot?
We don't know the specifics but it would have ignored Alien 3. This much is known.

oduodu

oduodu

is mike the only one that fully knows the plot?

i wonder when his NDA expires on that.

aliens13

aliens13

At first I voted Yes but after think on it I changed my voted to No. My canon forever will be Alien, Aliens and Alien 3 despite I like Resurrection and Covenant (Prometheus no so much) they have done some things to the lore that you can love it or hate it, specially the prequel's, I think that Resurrection doesn't has to many harm in this regard. With Romulus we will see, it has things of the prequel's added to the movie. But the untouchable and perfect canon will be forever the OG trilogy

E. Shaw

E. Shaw

Quote from: aliens13 on Apr 07, 2024, 09:43:32 PMAt first I voted Yes but after think on it I changed my voted to No. My canon forever will be Alien, Aliens and Alien 3 despite I like Resurrection and Covenant (Prometheus no so much) they have done some things to the lore that you can love it or hate it, specially the prequel's, I think that Resurrection doesn't has to many harm in this regard. With Romulus we will see, it has things of the prequel's added to the movie. But the untouchable and perfect canon will be forever the OG trilogy

Inevitably we all have a point we think a story should stop, some it is Alien, others Aliens, others Alien3, and still others who like it to keep expanding. I think it is possible to have a canon like you have said be were you wanted it, and still enjoy new offerings. :)

aliens13

aliens13

Quote from: E. Shaw on Apr 07, 2024, 10:05:14 PM
Quote from: aliens13 on Apr 07, 2024, 09:43:32 PMAt first I voted Yes but after think on it I changed my voted to No. My canon forever will be Alien, Aliens and Alien 3 despite I like Resurrection and Covenant (Prometheus no so much) they have done some things to the lore that you can love it or hate it, specially the prequel's, I think that Resurrection doesn't has to many harm in this regard. With Romulus we will see, it has things of the prequel's added to the movie. But the untouchable and perfect canon will be forever the OG trilogy

Inevitably we all have a point we think a story should stop, some it is Alien, others Aliens, others Aliwn3, and still others who like it to keep expanding. I think it is possible to have a canon like you have said be were you wanted it, and still enjoy new offerings. :)
I'm hope and I'm sure that I will enjoy or love Romulus, I'm very excited to see what Fede has to offer to my favourite franchise. But my canon will be the original trilogy  ;D

E. Shaw

E. Shaw

Quote from: aliens13 on Apr 07, 2024, 10:11:15 PM

Inevitably we all have a point we think a story should stop, some it is Alien, others Aliens, others Aliwn3, and still others who like it to keep expanding. I think it is possible to have a canon like you have said be were you wanted it, and still enjoy new offerings. :)
I'm hope and I'm sure that I will enjoy or love Romulus, I'm very excited to see what Fede has to offer to my favourite franchise. But my canon will be the original trilogy  ;D

The Trilogy really is the most satisfying for Ripley's story. Resurrection would have maybe been better without her.   

aliens13

aliens13

Quote from: E. Shaw on Apr 07, 2024, 10:15:13 PM

The Trilogy really is the most satisfying for Ripley's story. Resurrection would have maybe been better without her.   
Agree, but we wouldn't have the clone rom scene. There's some cool ideas in Resurrection, the problem is that the bad ideas overpasses the good ones but totally an enjoyable film. And it gave us an really cool PS1 game that it's my favourite Alien game after Isolation

E. Shaw

E. Shaw

Quote from: aliens13 on Apr 07, 2024, 10:19:21 PM

Agree, but we wouldn't have the clone rom scene. There's some cool ideas in Resurrection, the problem is that the bad ideas overpasses the good ones but totally an enjoyable film. And it gave us an really cool PS1 game that it's my favourite Alien game after Isolation

It helps that Ripley 8 is not the true Ripley, but a clone and hybrid. There is a sequel book to Ressurection I am considering reading.

Neila

Neila

yes I care about canon.

but large-scale franchises are like a salad bar.
You have to choose what you like for yourself.

Some people turn their backs on a franchise completely when they no longer like the prequels or sequels.
at least the cinematic canon is pretty important to me.
(avp doesn't exist for me at this point)
I don't consider the comics, novels, audiobooks and video games to be part of the official canon, even if some are perhaps chosen to be, but I simply see them as a nice change and more like "what if" scenarios.

But I really like how the role-playing game rulebook tries to bring all events (fortunately except AvP) under one roof and explain open questions.

Alien Isolation was brilliant but as long as there is no film about it, this is also a "could have been" for me.
(It actually would have been better without the name Ripley)

I'm wondering anyway, why does it always have to have something to do with Ripley???
She was great in 1-3 but the story is over, that's it.
I also like A4 to a certain extent, but while A1-A3 fit together pretty well, A4 feels like a fantasy film.

I'm trying not to hear anything about Romulus until it's in theaters, so I don't really know at the moment to what extent the name Ripley plays a role here, but I hope that the film doesn't have a to big reference but still fits into the timeline.

SM

SM

Resurrection couldn't have happened without her.

Neila

Neila

Quote from: SM on Apr 08, 2024, 09:18:00 AM

Resurrection couldn't have happened without her.

Alien 4 was originally written by Whedon without Ripley.
It just very likely wouldn't have been a cloning story.
At least there would have been many ways in which the alien could have been brought back to the screen.
The name Ressurrection doesn't just refer to Ripley.

SM

SM

Yes. But including Ripley made some sense. I don't know how Whedon intended to bring back Newt but it doesn't sound like it was just a straight swap for Ripley. 

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed