Started by Local Trouble, Mar 29, 2024, 12:52:46 AM

Was Blade Runner actually a good movie?

Yes
25 (96.2%)
No
1 (3.8%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Author
Was Blade Runner actually a good movie? (Read 2,354 times)

Local Trouble

Quote from: SiL on Mar 31, 2024, 09:40:23 PMI still find it boring but it's a good movie.

Quote from: SiL on Apr 03, 2024, 11:50:33 AMI mean it's ok.

Sounds like it's depreciating.

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: Local Trouble on Apr 03, 2024, 07:00:31 PM
Quote from: SiL on Mar 31, 2024, 09:40:23 PMI still find it boring but it's a good movie.

Quote from: SiL on Apr 03, 2024, 11:50:33 AMI mean it's ok.

Sounds like it's depreciating.

Just like Alien, it's just been copied TOO much over the years, stylistically. Even people who haven't seen Blade Runner have seen Blade Runner a million times by now.

Highland

Similar to most folk. Thought it was garbage as a kid, couldn't sit through more than 20 minutes without wishing they put Predator on the TV instead.

Now sip wine looking at my Blade Runner framed prints while stroking my Unicorn die cast collectable.

Have to wonder if it's not understanding it more, but also just missing the aesthetic,the actors, the music etc , being 10 and not 43  :laugh:

Love, Boomer.

SiL

Quote from: Local Trouble on Apr 03, 2024, 07:00:31 PMSounds like it's depreciating.
It's a fine film. It's not bad, it's good. It's just OK good.

Like Roy Batty is neat and all but I think something like Vision in the MCU or Ex Machina are more compelling portrayals of the conflict of what it means to be human, since they're more explicitly artificial and yet their consciousnesses seem so human.

Batty's cheating because he's basically a lab-grown human, which makes the argument more akin to when does fake meat start being real meat.

Local Trouble

Yeah, I never really did get what the difference was between a Replicant and a garden variety clone from Star Wars (or any other sci-fi series).

SiL

"We can't tell them apart!"

Maybe stop making them out of actual organs??? Like come on. Fill them with milk and glass beads like a good sci fi and be done with it.

BlueMarsalis79

You can tell them apart by their hands and interrogating their eyes, all part of the class metaphor, I do not think this stuff would be as strong if they had more science fiction like qualities.

Local Trouble

Quote from: SiL on Apr 04, 2024, 12:51:10 AM"We can't tell them apart!"

Maybe stop making them out of actual organs??? Like come on. Fill them with milk and glass beads like a good sci fi and be done with it.

SiL

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Apr 04, 2024, 12:54:15 AMYou can tell them apart by their hands and interrogating their eyes, all part of the class metaphor, I do not think this stuff would be as strong if they had more science fiction like qualities.
You tell them apart by checking their subconscious reflexive responses to questions designed to elicit empathy. Androids are psychopathic and a human who could fail the test would be unable to function in society.

Which is not very clear in the movie (and I don't think I could argue Batty is completely psychopathic).

BlueMarsalis79

They are not psychopathic. They are more human than the humans who interrogate them, not less.

SiL

Which is why the book is better.

Acid_Reign161

*slaps 'Citizens Against Replicant Slavery' stickers on the windshield of everyone's spinner* 😋

Kimarhi

Blade Runner is the first movie that made me appreciate human like "monsters".  When scifi/horror/fantasy used to come up, and had the hunting monsters trope in it, when I would watch a film and find out it had no monsters, I'd be so f**king pissed off.  13th Warrior is a prime example of this.  I realize BR came out before, but I saw it much later.  In 13th Warrior, when you are first watching it, expecting them to fight big bear humanoid monsters, and find out they are human in the first silhouette that you see them in, your like wtf, what a disappointment. 

BR made the replicants interactions with decker so off the f**king wall, and different than a typical encounter at that time in scifi film with such adversaries, that I began to look at it as plausible. 

I'd eventually go back and watch 13th Warrior (and read the book) and the film would end up on my all underrated movie list. 

SiL

A man who appreciates an actually good movie.

In all seriousness 13th Warrior is a great time. I'd love to see the McTiernan cut.

Huntsman

Blade Runner is a work of art and one of the best looking films of all time. What's even better is that the beauty has interesting depth. Love it even more now I'm older.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed