Aliens Bishop

Started by felix, Apr 19, 2023, 04:56:25 AM

Author
Aliens Bishop (Read 76,801 times)

SiL

SiL

We absolutely hear it make a sound, and there is air in the hold.

Or is that a comment on how poorly written that resource is?

Slutty Badger

Slutty Badger

Quote from: SiL on Apr 01, 2024, 08:58:19 PMWe absolutely hear it make a sound

No, that's just feedback on the radio.

SiL

SiL

It's the sound of the laser being broken. It modulates as Kane interacts with it and he says "It seems to react when broken".

E. Shaw

E. Shaw

Quote from: Slutty Badger on Apr 01, 2024, 08:38:08 PM
Quote from: E. Shaw on Apr 01, 2024, 08:28:24 PMI love that laser light sensor.

According to Building Better Worlds, it plays a musical note when disturbed. We don't hear it in Alien because there's no air in the hold.

I know what it says, "You are a good egg, yes you are." :D

SM

SM

Quote from: Slutty Badger on Apr 01, 2024, 08:38:08 PM
Quote from: E. Shaw on Apr 01, 2024, 08:28:24 PMI love that laser light sensor.

According to Building Better Worlds, it plays a musical note when disturbed. We don't hear it in Alien because there's no air in the hold.

But we can hear it in Alien and see an atmosphere because of the laser.

SiL

SiL

The planet has an atmosphere and the ship isn't sealed. There's plenty of air down there.

Quote from: SM on Apr 01, 2024, 09:55:13 PMBut we can hear it in Alien and see an atmosphere because of the laser.
More to the point, we see the laser because there's an atmosphere.

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

Was there any humidity or condensation from the eggs to contribute to make the laser visible?

SM

SM

Probably.  There's those upward drips when Kane examines an egg.

SiL

SiL

"It's like the Goddamn tropics in here" implied heat and humidity.

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

That's right, I'm surprised the crew didn't thought to question that more, but I guess they had more pressing priorities.

Still Collating...

Still Collating...

Quote from: Slutty Badger on Apr 01, 2024, 09:02:34 PM
Quote from: SiL on Apr 01, 2024, 08:58:19 PMWe absolutely hear it make a sound

No, that's just feedback on the radio.

You're getting things mixed up. That reference in BBW is a nod to Alien, exactly what SiL says, we do hear the sound. It's not radio. It reacts acoustically only when the light sensor field is being passed through.

And by the way to everyone else, what the hell is this blasphemy against the Queen I'm hearing recently? Without the Queen, without Aliens, we wouldn't be talking about this on such a forum. The success and scale of the franchise would be much smaller if only Alien was made or we didn't have a sequel just as good to rival it.

The Queen is awesome, disturbing and truly alien. I love eggmorphing and I love the Queen. Both can exist complementary. But having the Alien as originally intended, with no Queen and having a super short lifecycle? Less interesting and a lot less deadly. Then having so many eggs on the Derelict wouldn't even make sense IMO.

I like my cosmic horror in Alien. But this isn't the Lovecraft verse. Alien is more science fiction than space magic. It's not an indestructible ghost. It's a horrific creature that's dangerous because even one can spawn thousands, if not more. Even one can infect everything. Can't really see that without the additions of Aliens and Alien 3. It's not a mystic force, it's the ultimate macro virus. The threat was always not letting them amass more numbers and getting them near more populated areas.

The number of the eggs on the Derelict shows this threat perfectly. There can be so many of them. Alien shows us what one can do alone. Leaving the question open as to what could a flood of them do? Aliens shows us what a swarm can do and how we got so many eggs. And that was less than 200 Aliens. We have less than 20 confirmed Aliens being killed. Heaven forbid what would happen if a more populated colony or small Earth town was infected.

SiL

SiL

What's truly alien about an egg laying queen in an insect hive?

I like the Queen but she's very terrestrial.

E. Shaw

E. Shaw

Quote from: SiL on Apr 01, 2024, 10:42:29 PM"It's like the Goddamn tropics in here" implied heat and humidity.

And you can see perspiration on the Egg Kane approaches.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: SiL on Apr 01, 2024, 10:08:14 PMThe planet has an atmosphere and the ship isn't sealed. There's plenty of air down there.

Quote from: SM on Apr 01, 2024, 09:55:13 PMBut we can hear it in Alien and see an atmosphere because of the laser.
More to the point, we see the laser because there's an atmosphere.

Even more to the point, Ash tells Dallas the composition of the planet's atmosphere.  It couldn't be more on the nose.

SM

SM

Ash also says it's "deep cold", which the Derelict hold isn't. Not unreasonable to assume the atmosphere might be different.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed