Alien Romulus Teaser Trailer!

Started by MudButt, Mar 19, 2024, 10:45:28 PM

Author
Alien Romulus Teaser Trailer! (Read 57,167 times)

lv_226

lv_226

Quote from: chrisandy on Mar 20, 2024, 04:56:54 PMI can't be the only one who thinks this looks very much like something made for Hulu, right? Everyone just looks so.. artificial. And the whole PR "we tried to do everything practical and hired all the guys from Aliens" certainly doesn't jive with the bountiful CGI in the trailer, particularly the running face huggers. And the shot of the ostensible protagonist walking out holding the rifle just has no weight to it whatsoever.. it invokes absolutely nothing.

No, this looks way better than the usual straight-streaming shit. This looks on par with Prometheus and Alien visually.

MudButt

MudButt

Quote from: 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯 on Mar 20, 2024, 05:12:19 PMLastly, you just touched on the Weyland-Yutani spaceship that your team built, but overall, how did you balance practical effects and VFX?

For the creatures, we brought in all the guys from Aliens. They were in their early twenties when they made Aliens, and they were a part of Stan Winston's [special effects] team. And now we had them at the top of their game. They have their own shops, and so we brought them all together to work on all the creatures, because we went with all animatronics and puppets at every level. I even got the chance to be under the table with them, puppeteering all these animatronics

I have this obsession with no green screens, so we built every creature and set. Everything had to be built so we were really living and breathing in these spaces. But I'm not an anti-CG guy. I got the chance to do Evil Dead, because I had made this short movie called Panic Attack! with a couple of friends and we did all the CG. So I come from a background where I know how to build the effects myself. I still do VFX shots in my movies to this day. I'll cut and do VFX shots on my computer, sometimes. So it's just whatever is best for the shot, and when it comes to face-to-face encounters and moments with creatures, nothing beats the real thing.

For the sets, we built spaceships and we built miniatures. We went back to all of that. And then we figured out ways to marry it with the CG world. There's some things that only CG can do for the scope and movement. So it really has to be the right tool for the shot. Ideally, you should never feel like you're watching CG. Ideally, there should be nothing there where the audience goes, "Well, that was clearly CG." It should always feel practical, but I prefer practical because I want to see it when I'm there [on set]. There is nothing worse than having nothing to look at when I'm shooting. But some things that are CG can really blow your mind when done right.

Ridley watched [Alien: Romulus] after I had just finished the director's cut, and there was no VFX on the director's cut. There was no time to make any. But he still had the whole experience. There was nothing missing. You know what I mean? So take it that way. You can watch it without VFX, and you'll know exactly what's going on. You won't miss it much. That is a fact.

This is the part that really excites me.

XENOMORPHOSIS

Wow that looks sick, don't want to over hype it but that's pretty grizzly.

lv_226

lv_226

Good Lord, this looks amazing. A mix of Alien, Isolation, and Aliens. Sweet baby Jesus!

chrisandy

chrisandy

Is speculation that could potentially be spoiler-y allowed in this thread? Or is that in the spoiler threads only?

MudButt

MudButt

Quote from: lv_226 on Mar 20, 2024, 05:13:53 PM
Quote from: chrisandy on Mar 20, 2024, 04:56:54 PMI can't be the only one who thinks this looks very much like something made for Hulu, right? Everyone just looks so.. artificial. And the whole PR "we tried to do everything practical and hired all the guys from Aliens" certainly doesn't jive with the bountiful CGI in the trailer, particularly the running face huggers. And the shot of the ostensible protagonist walking out holding the rifle just has no weight to it whatsoever.. it invokes absolutely nothing.

No, this looks way better than the usual straight-streaming shit. This looks on par with Prometheus and Alien visually.

Agreed. Does not look like a made for streaming movie at all.

Ulfer

Ulfer

Quote from: oduodu on Mar 20, 2024, 04:50:01 PM"it has no great ambition beyond a new iteration of what we've already seen"

that s what i am afraid of.

let s hope it s more than that.

fingers crossed.
We will see. But nowadays such a teaser so obviously trying to evoke the good old memories can give that kind of fear. We'll see. Obviously I've no problem with the possibility to have a somewhat too much derivative movie: if it is a decent and well made one, why not. My fear is that this kind of things tends to monopolize the industry (with exceptions: Dune part two is a phenomenal blockbuster, but it is also a passionate adaptation of a true classic). Nowadays, even though some aspects can show passion in blockbusters (cinema and series), the whole looks too often like the product of an industrial cahier des charges as I say in my mother tongue. If I'm allowed to speak of other universes, I like the old Star Wars movies but in these last years, I only found interest in Rogue One and above all Andor, if you see what I mean.
I think that there is quite a potential to do interesting movies building upon the conceptual ideas of the first Alien. But it is obviously much more risky and demanding than to recycle the phenomenal but maybe weary-on-the-cinema-screen good old Xeno. For that last thing, I'd rather get a video game, because that refreshes greatly the interest, I think. It was great to see the style of the first Alien setting reproduced and expanded upon in Alien Isolation, but it was an interactive experience. ;)

LV-12986

LV-12986

If you go on to 20th century fox's instagram page there's an extra 3-4 seconds extra at the beginning and I'm pretty sure in that is big chap being brought in on some sort of bed?

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C4vfnJTr4SX/?igsh=bmMxdW9rM3ltb3Z4

Samhain13

Samhain13

wait, i was out of following things for a while, I thought we were getting a tv series, so new movie comes on August? Is this suppose to be a sequel to the prequels ?

going back to the roots reminded me of avpr advertizing.

Vrastal

Vrastal

This looks like such an amazing blend of Alien and Aliens.

Its got a claustrophobic feel to it. Its dark atmosphere whike atill letting things be visble in the shots shown.

Those facehuggers crashing through the door is nightmare fuel

MudButt

MudButt

Quote from: Samhain13 on Mar 20, 2024, 05:25:22 PMwait, i was out of following things for a while, I thought we were getting a tv series, so new movie comes on August? Is this suppose to be a sequel to the prequels ?

We are getting a series next year.

This movie takes place between Alien & Aliens.

yupper

yupper

I'm trying to piece together the plot since its pretty much every where.
While scavenging the deep ends of a derelict space station (Romulus Space Station), a group of young space colonizers (the smaller WY  ship- unlike the Weyland Corp logo) come face to face with the most terrifying life form in the universe.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: lv_226 on Mar 20, 2024, 05:13:53 PMThis looks on par with Prometheus and Alien visually.
It doesn't look bad but that's a stretch I think.

Samhain13

Samhain13

Quote from: MudButt on Mar 20, 2024, 05:27:03 PM
Quote from: Samhain13 on Mar 20, 2024, 05:25:22 PMwait, i was out of following things for a while, I thought we were getting a tv series, so new movie comes on August? Is this suppose to be a sequel to the prequels ?

We are getting a series next year.

This movie takes place between Alien & Aliens.

OH

DaveT937

DaveT937

Quote from: chrisandy on Mar 20, 2024, 05:19:51 PMIs speculation that could potentially be spoiler-y allowed in this thread? Or is that in the spoiler threads only?
For my benefit, please keep spoilers in the other threads!!  :-X

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed