Marvel's Alien (Volume 3) - Alien: Thaw

Started by TilotnyWorshiper28, Jan 19, 2023, 10:42:22 PM

Author
Marvel's Alien (Volume 3) - Alien: Thaw (Read 43,950 times)

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: DaniilLogOut on Nov 22, 2023, 06:54:41 PMCorporal, I think you've uploaded wrong episode

I hadn't embedded the right one in the post. Thanks for pointing that one out, Danii! Correct one was uploaded to the podcast platforms though. :)

DaniilLogOut

DaniilLogOut

No problem. Happens even to the best of us)

Perfect-Organism

Well they really jumped the shark with the latest issue in the series.  I mean I guessed that there would be a huge monster coming up as there were hints, but I didn't realize just how Godzilla this would feel.  It literally feels like Aliens vs. Godzilla on ice, and I'm not sure this is the right vibe or direction for the Aliens universe.

Corporal Hicks

If you mean the Annual, it's not technically part of this series.

Chieftain Suom

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 31, 2024, 09:27:01 AMIf you mean the Annual, it's not technically part of this series.

They're referring to issue 3 of Descendant, not Thaw,
Spoiler
which re-introduced the "queen" insectoid seen in the most recent Annual that ties Thaw and Descendant together.
[close]

Perfect-Organism

Indeed.  I didn't make the correlation with the Descendant thread.  I'll jump over there and try to be more generous with spoiler alerts... ;)

SM

SM

I've just read Icarus and Thaw.  Icarus was decent. Thaw less so.

I found the writing often very clunky.  Over written dialogue. The opening of 'Space. Cold they say'. The whole first page is pretty pretentious.  The final pages explain that somewhat when we learn who's saying it, a bit. It's a struggle.  Using the same 'with one hand behind my back' joke over and over, but without it being a running gag. Things unexplained - maybe there will be follow ups?

Character and environment art was cool enough (anything is an improvement on Larocca).  But the Aliens still often seem very static and copied from action figures, rather than having the artist provide any personal flair to them.  And it looks like they went full Kenner.

Icarus had a more interesting story and better art - though that often strayed into Xenogenesis territory with the colour palette.

Local Trouble

Quote from: SM on Feb 10, 2024, 09:49:21 PManything is an improvement on Larocca

Even Sam Kieth?

SM

SM

Tough call, but it may be the one time Sam Kieth climbs off the bottom rung.  Keith may be rubbish - but it's his rubbish.  Not some soulless traced shit.

Local Trouble

SM

SM

AIs have more creativity than Larocca if only because they steal from a wider range of content.

And going back to Thaw for a moment - I feel it owes a debt to Echo, with Zasha being less interesting than Olivia.

Spoiler
And the looking for water thing was confused.  They're on a ice moon.  Looks like a planet full of water.  They don't mention if it's drinkable or what - but they terraform planets and desalination has been a thing for some time now.
[close]

Local Trouble

AIs also don't use themselves as character models in everything they do.

SM

SM

They ponder 'I have no face and I must trace'.

Local Trouble

I asked ChatGPT to generate an image of SM based on what I imagine (when he's not obscured by shadows) and this is what it produced.

SM

SM

Pretty close.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed