Alien: Romulus Catch-All Thread

Started by Corporal Hicks, Feb 20, 2023, 06:30:14 PM

Author
Alien: Romulus Catch-All Thread (Read 150,810 times)

SiL

SiL

It gives me hope that the series will exist as a kind of what if bit of fun and not be intended as fully connected to the movie series.

Nightmare Asylum

I just take that, as written, as meaning there's no direct connection between Romulus and the show. They're set at different points in the timeline, we're not going to see characters from one appear in the other, etc.

MudButt

MudButt

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Feb 08, 2024, 12:43:32 AMI just take that, as written, as meaning there's no direct connection between Romulus and the show. They're set at different points in the timeline, we're not going to see characters from one appear in the other, etc.

Agreed. CEOs and executives aren't as tuned into what is or isn't canon or timelines.. this is just a meat & potatoes way of saying these are two separate projects.

TheBATMAN

TheBATMAN

I still dont see how a
Spoiler
crashed Weyland-Yutani ship on Earth in the 2070's - 2090's that spills xenomorph eggs into a city environment
[close]
can be connected in any way shape or form to the events of the films.

Sure you can talk cover ups and suchlike, but it would change everything about the original trilogy and I dont think that's a positive thing. They tried it once with AVP as a prequel and the majority of people never took to it.

I dont see the harm in this purely being its own thing. Let it run riot in its own universe using the rich depth of source material available without being bound by the films.

PortugueseXeno

PortugueseXeno

Well, since A Quiet Place already has its trailer released, i guess that gives some hope for the Alien: Romulus super bowl trailer.

Not only that, but since Bob Iger officially announced that the 2024 Alien movie is titled Romulus, it seems that they could try to capitalize on that recency.

Neila

Neila

When I saw the film A Quiet Place for the first time, I immediately thought of how cool it would have been if it had been made like this as an alien film with our xenos. In principle, the film does nothing different than what has already been done in a number of Aliens comics. Except that these creatures are actually blind, which is not entirely clear with xeno.
but...yes that would have worked well as an alien film.

um yeah...trailer...
I know the studio probably can't afford that because of the last Alien film, but I agree that it would actually be nice if we just got the typical Alien font in space with a few disturbing screams in the background....
and nothing else.
that would increase the overall tension quite a bit.

SiL

SiL

I hate A Quiet Place with a fiery passion. It is the pants-on-head dumbest studio horror movie I've seen in ten years and I refuse to watch anything else to do with it.

Slutty Badger

Quote from: SiL on Feb 08, 2024, 12:06:55 PMI hate A Quiet Place with a fiery passion. It is the pants-on-head dumbest studio horror movie I've seen in ten years and I refuse to watch anything else to do with it.

Somebody has absolutely no taste in film whatsoever.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Slutty Badger on Feb 08, 2024, 12:29:50 PM
Quote from: SiL on Feb 08, 2024, 12:06:55 PMI hate A Quiet Place with a fiery passion. It is the pants-on-head dumbest studio horror movie I've seen in ten years and I refuse to watch anything else to do with it.

Somebody has absolutely no taste in film whatsoever.
I have a taste in film.

It does not include something so aggressively, unrelentingly moronic as A Quiet Place.

Slutty Badger

Quote from: SiL on Feb 08, 2024, 12:33:01 PMI have a taste in film.

It does not include something so aggressively, unrelentingly moronic as A Quiet Place.

Really, though? One of the most innovative, tense, and INCLUSIVE franchises in recent years is "moronic"? Good gravy.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Slutty Badger on Feb 08, 2024, 12:35:04 PMReally, though? One of the most innovative, tense, and INCLUSIVE franchises in recent years is "moronic"? Good gravy.
Why does inclusivity have to do with anything?

Yes, the first movie is moronic. It undermines every single rule or notion it invents at every turn. Not a God damn thing about what the characters do makes sense. The monsters don't even follow the story's own logic. It is the most egregious example of writing whatever the writers think will make the most dramatic set pieces regardless of whether it makes any sense in their own story or not.

Great, it included an actor with hearing impairment and features ASL. That's f**king rad, but it has nothing to do with how absolutely shithouse the rest of the writing is.

Ugh. If there's a thread for AQP we can continue there. This isn't the place.

Nightmare Asylum

I really did not like the first A Quiet Place at all, either. While in the theater I couldn't wait for the movie to be done, I never bothered with the second one, and I was pretty bummed when I heard that the director of Pig (a movie I very much like!) was attached to that new one that's coming out now.

To circle the conversation back around to this franchise, though - man, it sure is annoying how the trailers for those movies always like to throw me for a loop with their use of the Alien: Covenant score!

Slutty Badger

Quote from: SiL on Feb 08, 2024, 12:46:53 PMUgh. If there's a thread for AQP we can continue there. This isn't the place.

Well, maybe we can find a quiet place.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Slutty Badger on Feb 08, 2024, 12:35:04 PMReally, though? One of the most innovative, tense, and INCLUSIVE franchises in recent years is "moronic"? Good gravy.

I wonder if he's actually seen the film? He's the kind of guy who would critique a film or series he hasn't actually watched yet. (Refer Noah Hawley's Alien series).  :)

Neila

Neila

wait a minute...
so you've never seen THE Predator???

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed