Noah Hawley Explains Why ‘Prometheus’ Isn’t “Useful” for His ‘Alien’ Prequel

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jan 13, 2024, 12:24:45 PM

Author
Noah Hawley Explains Why ‘Prometheus’ Isn’t “Useful” for His ‘Alien’ Prequel (Read 40,589 times)

SiL

Quote from: marrerom on Jan 25, 2024, 06:12:05 AMIt does, (DNA merging with cells).
We don't see what that results in.

QuoteJust to be clear, I assume you are talking about the ampules in the mural room leaking goo but not dispersing into dust. Yes? If so, then what the movie shows is that the ampules didn't release their payload as intended. Instead, they leaked out dormant Goo V2 because they were 2000 years old and the sudden change in the atmosphere triggered the ampules to fail.
You've yet to explain how we go from dust flying around to goo in ampules. When the goo in the opening interacts with a host it breaks it down and flies around.

Where is it established this free floating dust can or does get collected as goo in ampules for further distribution?

Slutty Badger

Quote from: SiL on Jan 25, 2024, 07:40:30 AMYou've yet to explain how we go from dust flying around to goo in ampules. When the goo in the opening interacts with a host it breaks it down and flies around.

Where is it established this free floating dust can or does get collected as goo in ampules for further distribution?

The pathogen starts out as liquid. We see David mixing it in Advent. When correctly deployed in an atmosphere, it atomizes. We see that when the Engineer sacrifices himself at the start of Prometheus, and when David unleashes the pathogen on Planet 4.

SiL

SiL

Hi! Once again, we're only talking about Prometheus' portrayal. Advent is irrelevant.

Prometheus never once established the dust will return to a liquid form if unsuccessful in finding a host.

It also doesn't show the goo re-atomise when exposed to atmosphere in the structure or on the ship. In fact, Prometheus only shows atomisation in contact with a host, not atmosphere, and only once.

And it certainly never establishes that the 2000 year timeline interfered with a process it never actually establishes.

All of these explanations come from external sources or inferring information the film does not at all provide.

Slutty Badger

Quote from: SiL on Jan 25, 2024, 09:30:16 AMHi! Once again, we're only talking about Prometheus' portrayal. Advent is irrelevant.

Prometheus never once established the dust will return to a liquid form if unsuccessful in finding a host.

It also doesn't show the goo re-atomise when exposed to atmosphere in the structure or on the ship. In fact, Prometheus only shows atomisation in contact with a host, not atmosphere, and only once.

And it certainly never establishes that the 2000 year timeline interfered with a process it never actually establishes.

All of these explanations come from external sources or inferring information the film does not at all provide.

And hi to you! Prometheus only introduces the concept of the pathogen; further explanation comes later, the most thorough of which is featured in Advent. And yes, Advent is entirely canon.

xShadowFoxX

Quote from: Slutty Badger on Jan 25, 2024, 09:36:00 AM
Quote from: SiL on Jan 25, 2024, 09:30:16 AMHi! Once again, we're only talking about Prometheus' portrayal. Advent is irrelevant.

And hi to you! Prometheus only introduces the concept of the pathogen; further explanation comes later, the most thorough of which is featured in Advent. And yes, Advent is entirely canon.
I would argue that it's only canon.. until it's not, like Hicks has stated. And that's all EU, where its canonicity is questionable anyway in the larger context.

So.. to make it short, like I do with Star Wars, if it not's on screen, it's not canon to me, the EU can go f**k itself. And I love a lot of that stuff.

Slutty Badger

Quote from: xShadowFoxX on Jan 25, 2024, 09:50:34 AMSo.. to make it short, like I do with Star Wars, if it not's on screen, it's not canon to me, the EU can go f**k itself. And I love a lot of that stuff.

But Advent is on screen; it's one of the Covenant short films (and is Level 1 canon, along with the films and Isolation).

SiL

Quote from: Slutty Badger on Jan 25, 2024, 09:36:00 AMAnd hi to you! Prometheus only introduces the concept of the pathogen; further explanation comes later, the most thorough of which is featured in Advent. And yes, Advent is entirely canon.
Once again, this particular conversation is about whether Prometheus is internally self consistent. RPG, Advent, Covenant, etc continue to be precisely as irrelevant as the last time I told you this.

xShadowFoxX

Quote from: Slutty Badger on Jan 25, 2024, 09:52:54 AM
Quote from: xShadowFoxX on Jan 25, 2024, 09:50:34 AMSo.. to make it short, like I do with Star Wars, if it not's on screen, it's not canon to me, the EU can go f**k itself. And I love a lot of that stuff.

But Advent is on screen; it's one of the Covenant short films (and is Level 1 canon, along with the films and Isolation).
But not in the film itself. And weren't we told to not hold those shorts as gospel?

SM

This thread would strongly suggest we don't hold anything as gospel.

Slutty Badger

Quote from: xShadowFoxX on Jan 25, 2024, 09:55:17 AMBut not in the film itself. And weren't we told to not hold those shorts as gospel?

Only She Won't Go Quietly and the Audi lunar rover video, both of which contradict the film. The rest (The Crossing, The Last Supper, Phobos, Advent) are fully canonical.

xShadowFoxX

Quote from: Slutty Badger on Jan 25, 2024, 09:59:13 AM
Quote from: xShadowFoxX on Jan 25, 2024, 09:55:17 AMBut not in the film itself. And weren't we told to not hold those shorts as gospel?

Only She Won't Go Quietly and the Audi lunar rover video, both of which contradict the film. The rest (The Crossing, The Last Supper, Phobos, Advent) are fully canonical.
But are those shorts within the context of Prometheus?

Slutty Badger

Quote from: SiL on Jan 25, 2024, 09:53:05 AMOnce again, this particular conversation is about whether Prometheus is internally self consistent. RPG, Advent, Covenant, etc continue to be precisely as irrelevant as the last time I told you this.

Well, of course Prometheus isn't self-consistent by itself - but that's because further explanation is yet to be given.

Roger Ebert said it himself: Prometheus has more questions than answers.

SiL

Quote from: Slutty Badger on Jan 25, 2024, 10:03:15 AMWell, of course Prometheus isn't self-consistent
Which is and has been the point the entire conversation. Thank you.

xShadowFoxX

xShadowFoxX

Questions that will never be answered. And hence the issue of the prequels.

Acid_Reign161

Acid_Reign161

Quote from: SiL on Jan 25, 2024, 10:06:17 AM
Quote from: Slutty Badger on Jan 25, 2024, 10:03:15 AMWell, of course Prometheus isn't self-consistent
Which is and has been the point the entire conversation. Thank you.

Not really. The original comment made was that goo's portrayal in the filmS (plural) was pretty consistent; I believe you replied to that persons comment replying "there was no consistency in Prometheus" thus yourself making it about a singular movie 😂 I personally agree with the original comment; it's consistent between the two movies. It either mutates or kills the infected. The outcome of those is dependent on circumstances.

Edit; here it is;
Quote from: SiL on Jan 23, 2024, 07:27:58 PM
Quote from: marrerom on Jan 23, 2024, 05:58:35 PMThe films are consistent in their portrayal of the pathogen and how it works. First it breaks down an organism (opening of Prometheus) and then transfers those genes into new hosts.
Prometheus isn't consistent at all. It makes the Engineer fall to pieces, transforms Fifield into a monster zombie, and creates an entirely new organism without damaging the host in Shaw.

It just makes set pieces.

You know, if I have a bottle of milk, and drink it, it's milk. If I apply motion to the bottle and shake it a while, it's butter. If I mix it with something else, it can be pastry. If I drink it and then have intercourse with someone, it's no longer going to provide the same results and nourishment as if that person had ingested fresh milk. Why anyone expects the goo to do one thing and one thing only under vastly differing conditions is beyond me. 😅 Prometheus shows a variety of different outcomes depending on how one is exposed to the pathogen. Covenant shows (and explains) what it does... and that corresponds to what we saw it do in the first movie; mutate or kill.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed