Noah Hawley Explains Why ‘Prometheus’ Isn’t “Useful” for His ‘Alien’ Prequel

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jan 13, 2024, 12:24:45 PM

Author
Noah Hawley Explains Why ‘Prometheus’ Isn’t “Useful” for His ‘Alien’ Prequel (Read 40,578 times)

Slutty Badger

Quote from: xShadowFoxX on Jan 24, 2024, 01:53:01 PM
Quote from: Slutty Badger on Jan 24, 2024, 01:39:31 PM
Quote from: SiL on Jan 24, 2024, 12:18:03 PM
Quote from: xShadowFoxX on Jan 24, 2024, 12:09:10 PMWell, now I have a question.. did the Engineers never truly investigate what happened on 223 after all that, aside from seemingly abandoning their plans to destroy humanity?
We'll never know because David murder them in the sequel before we get any resolution to any of the questions in Prometheus.

He didn't kill them all. Engineers crop up in several RPG missions and Inferno's Fall; plus, a presumably large population escaped known space via the Lychgate to escape the Fulfremmen.

What's a Fulfremmen?

A humanoid species created by the Engineers in a failed attempt to recreate the Xenomorph. Also known as the Perfected.

irn

Quote from: Slutty Badger on Jan 24, 2024, 01:39:31 PMHe didn't kill them all. Engineers crop up in several RPG missions and Inferno's Fall; plus, a presumably large population escaped known space via the Lychgate to escape the Fulfremmen.

That's getting a bit too Star Trek-ish for something in the Alien series.

razeak

Quote from: SiL on Jan 24, 2024, 12:32:24 PM
Quote from: xShadowFoxX on Jan 24, 2024, 12:27:15 PM
Quote from: SiL on Jan 24, 2024, 12:23:09 PM
Quote from: xShadowFoxX on Jan 24, 2024, 12:21:44 PM
Quote from: xShadowFoxX on Jan 24, 2024, 12:09:10 PMWell, now I have a question.. did the Engineers never truly investigate what happened on 223 after all that, aside from seemingly abandoning their plans to destroy humanity?
We'll never know because David murder them in the sequel before we get any resolution to any of the questions in Prometheus.
Right, I get that, but thousands of years have passed since everything went to sh*t on 223. And quarantines only last for so long. So they probably should've investigated at that point and possibly would've salvaged what was left. I'm filling holes here.
I mean the place was full of dangerous pathogens so it might've been a "never go there" situation. It's not like they needed anything from there.
Like a signal got out, somehow.
Or when they lost contact they knew not to investigate.
but did they send a signal? Lol

VodouSpartan

I could be wrong but I remember either watching or reading something that said those people down on the planet weren't the engineers, just another of their creations that looks similar to them. I guess that's why they looked so dissimilar to the one shown in the beginning of Prometheus? Really not sure

Corporal Hicks

That's one of the many fan theories revolving around the prequels. As far as the production was concerned, they're Engineers and David wiped out their homeworld.

Personally, I don't mind the idea that they aren't actually Engineers. I don't think they look too dissimilar to their depiction in Prometheus, but I just find the city aesthetic disappointing so them being another culture the Engineers created works for me.

oduodu

oduodu

in promethues one of images shown to the crew by shaw and Holloway was dated to be well after the events that killed the engineers on lv 223. meaning that an engineer ship visited earth with engineers well after the events recorded in the tunnel with hologram of the running engineers.

hence

on screen we have proof  that a group of engineers existed well after those events with interstellar travel ability. why they didn t destroy earth is a mystery.

David Weyland

I like the spin that the planet at the beginning of Prometheus isn't Earth but Planet 4 from Covenant.

The Engineers in Prometheus are military with their souped up physiques and or perhaps are a form of hybrid Engineer microdosed with black goo 😄

marrerom

marrerom

Quote from: SiL on Jan 24, 2024, 06:27:46 AM
Quote from: marrerom on Jan 24, 2024, 06:11:05 AMFifield's face was melty because acid blood burned through his helmet onto his face.
We see the same look start to develop on the Engineer's head before it explodes.

That is just the severed Engineer head's peeling skin because it's desiccated. Put them up side-by-side and they are quite different.

Quote from: SiL on Jan 24, 2024, 06:27:46 AMThe film doesn't establish goo + host = dust, dust + host = crazy mutant

It does though. Prometheus shows goo + host = dust. Following that logic then the dust is the result of when goo breaks down a host, yes? Ok. Covenant shows David release the ampules, they detonate mid atmosphere, the goo disperses into dust, and the Engineers are infected. Some die outright due to uncontrollable mutations, and others become mutants like Fifield, Holloway, and the worms did. That is where the Neomorphs, and all the Alien mutant things in David's lab come from. They are like 2nd or 3rd generation byproducts of the black goo infecting the Engineer home world. 

Listen to 2:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6dF99kuzgU

Local Trouble

Planet 4 was supposed to be the Engineer homeworld and it consisted of one city with a few thousand inhabitants?

That's some Star Trek shit right there.

BlueMarsalis79

Yeah it is nonsense. Just like most of the character and Alien behaviour in the prequels. They exist to facilitate each idea Ridley Scott finds interesting at any given time, not as an organic consequence of the story, they do not inform each other but instead exist apart.

SiL

Quote from: marrerom on Jan 24, 2024, 07:44:41 PMIt does though. Prometheus shows goo + host = dust. Following that logic then the dust is the result of when goo breaks down a host, yes? Ok. Covenant shows ...
There's the rub - this conversation is about Prometheus not being consistent. You can't bring Covenant into it.

Prometheus doesn't establish what happens when the dust interacts with anything living, and doesn't establish a link between the dust and the supposed Goo V2.

For that matter, Covenant also doesn't link dust and Goo V2.

Mr.Turok

All this incohesion laid before me and yet people out here still try to convince me that Ridley Scott is a good storyteller  :laugh:

Yeah, nah, it's stuff like this why the prequels are always going to be a stain on overall Alien series, there is just too entanglement to work around. Everything is unclear and contradicts each other, and I fear about any future involvement with him making things even more incomprehensible.

Quote from: marrerom on Jan 24, 2024, 07:44:41 PM
Quote from: SiL on Jan 24, 2024, 06:27:46 AM
Quote from: marrerom on Jan 24, 2024, 06:11:05 AMFifield's face was melty because acid blood burned through his helmet onto his face.
We see the same look start to develop on the Engineer's head before it explodes.

That is just the severed Engineer head's peeling skin because it's desiccated. Put them up side-by-side and they are quite different.

Quote from: SiL on Jan 24, 2024, 06:27:46 AMThe film doesn't establish goo + host = dust, dust + host = crazy mutant

It does though. Prometheus shows goo + host = dust. Following that logic then the dust is the result of when goo breaks down a host, yes? Ok. Covenant shows David release the ampules, they detonate mid atmosphere, the goo disperses into dust, and the Engineers are infected. Some die outright due to uncontrollable mutations, and others become mutants like Fifield, Holloway, and the worms did. That is where the Neomorphs, and all the Alien mutant things in David's lab come from. They are like 2nd or 3rd generation byproducts of the black goo infecting the Engineer home world. 

I'm sorry but this is all just guesswork. It's just pattern recognition on what you might think it is and making it so because you want it to be, there is no real core evidence to this as the art on the wall can also mean something else entirely. After all it's an alien race we talking about here, what they mean through thier art is a completely different meaning to them than it is to us, we have no basis on knowing how Engineer's thought process works. I can easily say that its a room full of failed black goo that turns things violent instead of creating life, failed prototypes. Maybe the goo works proper with Engineer DNA but hostile towards anything else? Or maybe the sacrificial Engineer went through DNA modification to make the goo usable for the life growing process?

It can be anything but also nothing at the same time. Hence why I'm always on the side of making proper canon make sense, otherwise it's all just white noise....and keeping Ridley away from all from this.

Slutty Badger

From Building Better Worlds:

"Different strains of the Engineers' black pathogen were developed to create variations on genetic acceleration. Stored at different planetary facilities, many were used to bioengineer entire worlds and species. Others were weaponized, transforming the Engineers and their genetic offshoots into abominations, anathemas, neomorphic, protomorphic, and xenomorphic mutations, as well as other abhorrent creatures - including the Engineers' worst enemy - the Perfected".

SiL

Completely unhelpful in a conversation about what the movie Prometheus shows.

Slutty Badger

Quote from: SiL on Jan 24, 2024, 09:44:35 PMCompletely unhelpful in a conversation about what the movie Prometheus shows.

Well, obviously we see a variant of the pathogen designed to create life at the beginning of Prometheus. The variant that crops up later is clearly more destructive.

Same with the strain that David unleashes in Covenant.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed