Noah Hawley Explains Why ‘Prometheus’ Isn’t “Useful” for His ‘Alien’ Prequel

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jan 13, 2024, 12:24:45 PM

Author
Noah Hawley Explains Why ‘Prometheus’ Isn’t “Useful” for His ‘Alien’ Prequel (Read 40,599 times)

xShadowFoxX

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Jan 14, 2024, 11:36:12 PM
Quote from: SiL on Jan 14, 2024, 10:42:18 PMCovenant isn't ambiguous at all and people who keep telling themselves that are deluding themselves.

It leaves enough space for something to say it's wrong later, yes. It is not, however, vague about what it's trying to say.

Also, why do people keep saying that the Prometheus mural is an Alien. His head looks like a deacon's miter...wait!

Eh. Depends on how you look at it. I can definitely fit the Alien Queen in there just from the patterns that could form the head crest. I don't think that was intentional tho.

[cancerblack]

Quote from: xShadowFoxX on Jan 14, 2024, 11:49:23 PMEh. Depends on how you look at it. I can definitely fit the Alien Queen in there just from the patterns that could form the head crest. I don't think that was intentional tho.

It definitely was intentional, but likely not intended to be literal.

xShadowFoxX

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Jan 14, 2024, 11:51:54 PM
Quote from: xShadowFoxX on Jan 14, 2024, 11:49:23 PMEh. Depends on how you look at it. I can definitely fit the Alien Queen in there just from the patterns that could form the head crest. I don't think that was intentional tho.

It definitely was intentional, but likely not intended to be literal.

Is it really tho? Because I can definitely see the obvious deacon or the Alien or whatever precursor species is on that mural but I only formed the head crest in my head because I was super bored one day.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: xShadowFoxX on Jan 14, 2024, 11:49:23 PM
Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Jan 14, 2024, 11:36:12 PM
Quote from: SiL on Jan 14, 2024, 10:42:18 PMCovenant isn't ambiguous at all and people who keep telling themselves that are deluding themselves.

It leaves enough space for something to say it's wrong later, yes. It is not, however, vague about what it's trying to say.

Also, why do people keep saying that the Prometheus mural is an Alien. His head looks like a deacon's miter...wait!

Eh. Depends on how you look at it. I can definitely fit the Alien Queen in there just from the patterns that could form the head crest. I don't think that was intentional tho.

I don't know of any Alien whose head ends in a small, pointy end. The mural represents a Neomorph / Deacon.

The retcon seems very possible now, but there is no ambiguity in the prequels. According to Ridley David made the Aliens, not his take on the Space Jockey. And He had the plan to get to the bioechanical Alien in the third prequel, which is most likely never going to happen.

xShadowFoxX

Oh dammit.. now I'm seeing the Queen's head crest. Thanks  >:(

[cancerblack]

Quote from: xShadowFoxX on Jan 14, 2024, 11:55:02 PMIs it really tho? Because I can definitely see the obvious deacon or the Alien or whatever precursor species is on that mural but I only formed the head crest in my head because I was super bored one day.

I'm fairly certain someone talked about it at the time. But either way, it's a fairly obvious visual wink, without being part of the central figure.

xShadowFoxX

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Jan 15, 2024, 12:00:42 AM
Quote from: xShadowFoxX on Jan 14, 2024, 11:55:02 PMIs it really tho? Because I can definitely see the obvious deacon or the Alien or whatever precursor species is on that mural but I only formed the head crest in my head because I was super bored one day.

I'm fairly certain someone talked about it at the time. But either way, it's a fairly obvious visual wink, without being part of the central figure.

It's that highlighted dome.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Pointless wishful thinking, based on pareidolia. And people keep saying "but look at this in Prometheus, the Alien is ancient, I knew it!"

But why? Who cares if Ridley wanted the Alien to be a modern creation of a synthetic human in the future? The retcon is imminent. 8)

The Cruentus

Quote from: xShadowFoxX on Jan 14, 2024, 11:59:44 PMOh dammit.. now I'm seeing the Queen's head crest. Thanks  >:(

Queen had four arms though, so still not a Xenomorph.  :laugh:

xShadowFoxX

Quote from: The Cruentus on Jan 15, 2024, 12:12:17 AM
Quote from: xShadowFoxX on Jan 14, 2024, 11:59:44 PMOh dammit.. now I'm seeing the Queen's head crest. Thanks  >:(

Neomorph Queen?

The Cruentus

Quote from: xShadowFoxX on Jan 15, 2024, 12:19:31 AM
Quote from: The Cruentus on Jan 15, 2024, 12:12:17 AM

Neomorph Queen?

If I remember reading correctly, the Neomorph didn't have any stages like that. They eventually died and their body produced more spores or something.

That being said, it could easily just be any creature derived from the black goo since they make similar creatures with similar life-cycles.

Acid_Reign161

Interesting... some many people here openly interpreting what they see in the mural (and seeing different things), interpreting what they make of David's less than set-in-stone claims, and interpreting the true origin of the Xenomorph (and whether it WAS really a Xenomorph or something close), in a movie that is definitely and positively so cast-iron that it isn't open to interpretation. 😂 Like I said in the other thread, leave enough holes, and it can still be ambiguous. Directors intention, and what he would/might have done in a movie sequel that will never be made doesn't matter; it's all down to what we get on-screen in the final version. And calling it a Xenomorph in the credits to differentiate it from a neomorph (as opposed to simply saying 'Alien') I still feel is more for the audience's benefit. Nobody had heard of a neomorph until this movie...credit someone with neomorph and someone with protomorph or whatever name you could come up with, and everyone would be scratching their heads as to which creature was being referred to. The latter was clearly closer to Xenomorph than the former. And again, credits don't matter, nobody in the movie itself refers to it as a Xenomorph. 

Of course Ridley wanted to make David the creator of the Alien, of course that was his intention. That's not being disputed. Thankfully he sucks at story telling, so the finished product, whilst suggestive, (and beyond a bold claim from an android with a god-complex) still has enough leeway that it can be interpreted multiple ways... such as how Alan Dean Foster interpreted it when adding dialogue in his novelisation. Such as how fans here all interpret it differently from one another.

'Directors intention' makes no difference if it isn't cemented in the final product. In the same way, Ridley's intended life cycle of the Xenomorph didn't matter for the sequel. That wasn't a retcon, as it didn't appear in the original release of the movie, no matter what Riddles intended, so the origin of the eggs were still open to interpretation.

BlueMarsalis79

Ridley Scott does not suck at story telling. Lmao

SiL

Quote from: Acid_Reign161 on Jan 15, 2024, 12:48:36 AMInteresting... some many people here openly interpreting what they see in the mural (and seeing different things), interpreting what they make of David's less than set-in-stone claims, and interpreting the true origin of the Xenomorph (and whether it WAS really a Xenomorph or something close), in a movie that is definitely and positively so cast-iron that it isn't open to interpretation.
It's called "cope" these days.

QuoteDirectors intention, and what he would/might have done in a movie sequel that will never be made doesn't matter; it's all down to what we get on-screen in the final version.
What we see is a walkthrough of the process used to create the Alien from scratch, with multiple references to the android creating the Alien. Intention aside, that's what's in the movie. They could not have made it any clearer -- at least, not in a way that people couldn't still shift the goalposts.

QuoteAnd again, credits don't matter, nobody in the movie itself refers to it as a Xenomorph. 
You keep bringing this up and it's the strangest argument to make.

They've never been referred to as xenomorphs in the movies -- even in Aliens, the only film that uses the word, just used it to describe an alien species, not the Alien.

xShadowFoxX

Quote from: SiL on Jan 15, 2024, 01:00:10 AMThey've never been referred to as xenomorphs in the movies -- even in Aliens, the only film that uses the word, just used it to describe an alien species, not the Alien.
Wait.. didn't Ripley use the term in Alien 3 and 85 is like "How do you spell it?"

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed