Aliens: Dark Descent

Started by BlueMarsalis79, Jun 09, 2022, 06:09:08 PM

Author
Aliens: Dark Descent (Read 55,534 times)

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: ralfy on Dec 15, 2023, 12:55:32 AM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Dec 14, 2023, 02:41:24 AM
Quote from: ralfy on Dec 14, 2023, 02:09:22 AMI'm not saying
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8q8PXoJwVk
https://i.imgur.com/oIXTMmY.jpeg

That's all you have left: taking only part of a point and then trolling with memes. And only because the evidence you gave went against you.

Quote from: Xenomrph on Dec 14, 2023, 02:41:24 AM
Quote from: ralfy on Dec 14, 2023, 02:09:22 AMI'm not saying
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8q8PXoJwVk
https://i.imgur.com/oIXTMmY.jpeg
Yeah what that guy said.

You didn't prove shit lmao. I replied with a meme because that's what your post warranted.
At best, you expressed an opinion. One I disagree with, and don't feel like engaging with.

Do you want to keep derailing the thread after both of us acknowledged it was off-topic? Just take the L and move on. People want to talk about the video game.

kwisatz

kwisatz

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: kwisatz on Dec 15, 2023, 01:07:15 AMhttps://s20.directupload.net/images/231215/bueb4xxu.jpg
Doesn't seem to load properly on my end.

Edit— nevermind, there we go

Wweyland

Wweyland

Anyone know how big a difference the "infestation levels" make?
Should I take an unrested squad out versus waiting and fighting more Aliens?

PAS Spinelli

PAS Spinelli

Quote from: Wweyland on Dec 18, 2023, 11:20:50 AMAnyone know how big a difference the "infestation levels" make?
Should I take an unrested squad out versus waiting and fighting more Aliens?
iirc, means aliens are greater in number and more active, and send out more units than just drones

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Does "Suppressing Fire" stack? Like if I have 2 Marines laying down fire in the same direction, do incoming hostile suffer more penalties? Or is it a waste to double it up?

Wweyland

Wweyland

Any way to make marines "conserve ammo"?
I have had cases when I needed a demolition charge, but the Marines have already shot their load.

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

Still haven't gotten round to playing this game. The last strategy "Alien" game that I played was AVP:Extinction.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

It is a real-time tactics game (XCOM, Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines), rather than your traditional real time strategy game though.

ralfy

ralfy

Someone pointed out in another forum that the story isn't that strong mainly because it focuses more on being a turn-based tactical and strategic RPG (weapons development, etc., resources, labs and workshops in a base). I think it's because there's little character development even for most of the protagonists, unlike in games like those belonging to the Mass Effect series.

It's also starts with one alien, then followed by multiple facehuggers, with a functional base that's readily developed from a military ship that crashlands, etc.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: ralfy on Dec 23, 2023, 01:30:25 AMSomeone pointed out in another forum that the story isn't that strong mainly because it focuses more on being a turn-based tactical and strategic RPG (weapons development, etc., resources, labs and workshops in a base). I think it's because there's little character development even for most of the protagonists, unlike in games like those belonging to the Mass Effect series.

It's also starts with one alien, then followed by multiple facehuggers, with a functional base that's readily developed from a military ship that crashlands, etc.

I've read this post 7 times and I cannot discern what your point is, especially the second paragraph.

Still Collating...

Still Collating...

Quote from: ralfy on Dec 23, 2023, 01:30:25 AMSomeone pointed out in another forum that the story isn't that strong mainly because it focuses more on being a turn-based tactical and strategic RPG (weapons development, etc., resources, labs and workshops in a base). I think it's because there's little character development even for most of the protagonists, unlike in games like those belonging to the Mass Effect series.

Neither AVPE nor Dark Descent is turn based.

Quote from: Wweyland on Dec 21, 2023, 10:22:13 AMAny way to make marines "conserve ammo"?
I have had cases when I needed a demolition charge, but the Marines have already shot their load.

It's pretty sneaky, but near most areas where you need to demolish something, there is either a fallen colonist that can be searched for ammo or an ammo crate nearby.

ralfy

ralfy

Quote from: Still Collating... on Dec 23, 2023, 10:17:59 PM

Neither AVPE nor Dark Descent is turn based.

Quote from: Wweyland on Dec 21, 2023, 10:22:13 AMAny way to make marines "conserve ammo"?

It's pretty sneaky, but near most areas where you need to demolish something, there is either a fallen colonist that can be searched for ammo or an ammo crate nearby.

Sorry about that. I was thinking of games like Wasteland 2.

What do you think of the rest of my points? I also noticed that the first mission is tedious: you need to find something, and you can't do anything with it because something else is missing, so you go to another location, and then the same thing happens again in that location, and so on.

Still Collating...

Still Collating...

I agree that some people find it tedious when things are laid out like that. Though fetch quest and moving the goal posts I believe are in most stories when it comes down to it. Alien Isolation had basically the same "problem", but I never find that annoying. It's realistic, life is full of convoluted fetch quests, I find that as just a framework, an excuse for something to happen along the way. What happens along the way are the fun parts.

The first mission is very memorable IMO. Honestly, all of them are to me. The Montero mission is the only that's annoying. The part at the end level where you don't have your tracker, and loose the lights?! Tense, frustrating, but in a good way. But that's just my perspective, I like Alien games kicking my a*s.   

Wweyland

Wweyland

Anyone else abuse the elevators for save points?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed