Aliens Bishop

Started by felix, Apr 19, 2023, 04:56:25 AM

Author
Aliens Bishop (Read 80,373 times)

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Wweyland on Sep 04, 2023, 10:03:41 PMDid the newer versions of Bug Hunt fix the editor notes?
I remember hearing there was a corrected edition but the last time I checked a copy in an actual bookstore (which was admittedly quite some time ago) it still had the errors.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Still Collating... on Sep 04, 2023, 10:21:43 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 29, 2023, 08:43:20 AM
Quote from: HuDaFuK on Aug 28, 2023, 08:10:25 PMBroken had elements I liked but for the most part I didn't much care for it. In fact I didn't particularly like any of the "Aliens prequels" featuring Marines from the film. They just felt really weak and unnecessary.

Yeah, they weren't great. And was odd Dietrich getting 2... I do remember particularly enjoying the Bishop one though.

QuoteAnd don't even get me started on the one where Hicks encountered the f**king Alien before Aliens...

One of the worse pieces of Alien fiction. And made even more disappointing by it being written by Yvonne Navarro because Music of the Spears is one of my favourites. To be fair, Bug Hunt in general was just so poor anyway.

I'm okay with stories set in the Alien universe without the Alien. Whether that's just human characters, or Engineers, or other Accelerant-based creatures. I've no issue with that at all. Just give me a little subtitle about it being an Alien Universe Story or some nonsense like that so I have my expectations set at the start.

About Navarro, I'm not surprised anymore. Music of the Spears was an established story she adapted. But everything original from her I've seen has been bad. In both the Alien and AvP anthologies, but especially Rift War. There's not one thing there that is the problem. It's the combination of a million factors of the book. And I hope that didn't kill the AvP side of things cause of the reception...

I remember rather enjoying her short in Ultimate Prey, but I can't remember Eyes of the Demon well enough to really comment there.

TheBATMAN

TheBATMAN

Just a heads up that some people on facebook have received this book. Despite the 12/12 release date many UK stockists such as WHSmith and Waterstones are listing this as being in stock.

Slutty Badger

Slutty Badger

Quote from: TheBATMAN on Sep 15, 2023, 07:12:29 PMJust a heads up that some people on facebook have received this book. Despite the 12/12 release date many UK stockists such as WHSmith and Waterstones are listing this as being in stock.

Yup. Over ten copies in my neck of the woods!

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I've ordered a copy from Waterstones. We normally get them early in the UK (Titan's a UK company), but it's usually on the shelves of the various Forbidden Planet's (Titan owns them).

Slutty Badger

Slutty Badger

Ordered mine as well!

Wweyland

Wweyland

Looks like Christmas with Bishop

Slutty Badger

Slutty Badger

I wonder if the Haarsa incident is gonna be referenced.

Wweyland

Wweyland

Quote from: Slutty Badger on Sep 19, 2023, 08:50:31 AMI wonder if the Haarsa incident is gonna be referenced.
Is that from Bug Hunt?

Slutty Badger

Slutty Badger

Quote from: Wweyland on Sep 19, 2023, 10:30:30 AM
Quote from: Slutty Badger on Sep 19, 2023, 08:50:31 AMI wonder if the Haarsa incident is gonna be referenced.
Is that from Bug Hunt?

Yep, but it was also mentioned in the Colonial Marines RPG book, so it's canon.

Wweyland

Wweyland

Quote from: Slutty Badger on Sep 19, 2023, 03:33:30 PM
Is that from Bug Hunt?

Is the RPG book some kind of canon bible?

Slutty Badger

Slutty Badger

Quote from: Wweyland on Sep 20, 2023, 12:38:11 PM
Quote from: Slutty Badger on Sep 19, 2023, 03:33:30 PM
Is that from Bug Hunt?

Is the RPG book some kind of canon bible?

In a way. It's Level 2 canon, which basically means "canon until Sir Ridders or someone like him says otherwise".

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Wweyland on Sep 20, 2023, 12:38:11 PMIs the RPG book some kind of canon bible?
Some people seem to view it that way.

Personally far too much of it doesn't gel with the films and is just obvious gameplay mechanics for me to give it that much weight.

Slutty Badger

Slutty Badger

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Sep 20, 2023, 01:10:13 PM
Quote from: Wweyland on Sep 20, 2023, 12:38:11 PMIs the RPG book some kind of canon bible?
Some people seem to view it that way.

Personally far too much of it doesn't gel with the films and is just obvious gameplay mechanics for me to give it that much weight.

I think it dovetails with the movies quite nicely, with some pretty cool expansions - Andrews, Boggs and Rains getting Ovomorphed, for one.

Plus, I like the sly references! The description of the RMC-F903WE assault rifle rocks: "While its armour-piercing capabilities are limited, it can still f**k up your perfect composure." Blindin'.

Slutty Badger

Slutty Badger

"Bloody hell, mate. I wouldn't f**k you with her pussy."

And there was me, thinking it couldn't get any worse than "Pugh, Pugh, McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble, Grub".

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed