Aliens Bishop

Started by felix, Apr 19, 2023, 04:56:25 AM

Author
Aliens Bishop (Read 76,786 times)

skhellter

skhellter

lately it feels that whoever wants a quick buck via a ride in the IP train, can just do a pitch to Titan.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: skhellter on Aug 27, 2023, 11:35:15 AMlately it feels that whoever wants a quick buck via a ride in the IP train, can just do a pitch to Titan.

When he was writing Star Wars novels in the 90s, Kevin J Anderson referred to it as "flipping burgers."

Slutty Badger

Slutty Badger

Quote from: Local Trouble on Aug 27, 2023, 11:48:04 AM
Quote from: skhellter on Aug 27, 2023, 11:35:15 AMlately it feels that whoever wants a quick buck via a ride in the IP train, can just do a pitch to Titan.

When he was writing Star Wars novels in the 90s, Kevin J Anderson referred to it as "flipping burgers."

It showed in his writing.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Slutty Badger on Aug 27, 2023, 08:37:38 AMSomehow I get the feeling that "actually interesting" is beyond Titan's purview right now.

I'd like them to at least try. Young Hudson learning to cope with his parents divorce by being the class clown and Dillon Rapes A Bitch aren't compelling at all, and crucially, don't feature the titular creature or any real link to it.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Based on the hit films from 20th Century Studios:

"Alien: Predators"

"Hey Dillon my man, do you have the time there?"

"Yeah, it's five o'clock, why?"

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Posts like this are why I love ya <3

SiL

SiL

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Aug 27, 2023, 08:43:56 PMI'd like them to at least try. Young Hudson learning to cope with his parents divorce by being the class clown and Dillon Rapes A Bitch aren't compelling at all, and crucially, don't feature the titular creature or any real link to it.
I'm frankly depressed by the number of people who think having an Alien in an Alien story is more or less optional these days.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

There's ways to do it (have the shadow of the thing cast large against the narrative - although no more relatives, Isolation got away with it the once despite not because of that), but those should be the rarest of morsels in a huge creature feature buffet.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Aug 28, 2023, 05:36:13 AMThere's ways to do it (have the shadow of the thing cast large against the narrative
Nah, if it's not in the bloody thing don't call it Alien. Prometheus had the right idea.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Again, it's fine once in a very long while. Although I'm not opposed to the naming convention, if that's what you're hung up on specifically.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Aug 28, 2023, 08:48:29 AMAgain, it's fine once in a very long while.
Again, hard no.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

If Prometheus was a perfectly well written commercial and critical darling I wonder if you would still feel this way.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Aug 28, 2023, 11:24:39 AMIf Prometheus was a perfectly well written commercial and critical darling I wonder if you would still feel this way.
Yes, because Prometheus has nothing to do with what I think, and my opinions aren't founded on box office takings or what other people like.

Again, super depressing that saying "I think Alien stories should have Aliens in them" is somehow a contentious point.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

No way, now how, that you could like it then?

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

One of the shorts in Bug Hunt that had no capital-A Aliens in it wound up being perhaps my favourite in the book.

But I get where SiL's coming from.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed