Prey receives Emmy nomination for Outstanding TV Movie (and more!)

Started by Nightmare Asylum, Jul 12, 2023, 04:05:08 PM

Author
Prey receives Emmy nomination for Outstanding TV Movie (and more!) (Read 17,769 times)

[cancerblack]

Quote from: SiL on Jul 17, 2023, 08:11:00 AMEven if they're not primitive, they're 300 years older than what we see later. Still a noticeable backwards step.

Personally I think for a species cavorting around the galaxy with FTL 300 years is the rounding error on a weekend bender if you took the wrong turn at alpha centauri.

SiL

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Jul 17, 2023, 08:28:41 PMPersonally I think for a species cavorting around the galaxy with FTL 300 years is the rounding error on a weekend bender if you took the wrong turn at alpha centauri.
So do I, but the filmmakers themselves hammered home the idea repeatedly (the cluster bombs being an early version of the self destruct, for example).

It's glaring to show a cloaking device devoid of its signature weakness with no explanation and I'm surprised that seems to be such a controversial statement.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

I think it's just that most people aren't really bothered by details like that when they enjoyed the film overall. It's a bigger issue for people who aren't inclined to cut it as much slack due to goodwill.

Engineer

Quote from: SiL on Jul 17, 2023, 08:33:08 PM
Quote from: [cancerblack] on Jul 17, 2023, 08:28:41 PMPersonally I think for a species cavorting around the galaxy with FTL 300 years is the rounding error on a weekend bender if you took the wrong turn at alpha centauri.
So do I, but the filmmakers themselves hammered home the idea repeatedly (the cluster bombs being an early version of the self destruct, for example).

It's glaring to show a cloaking device devoid of its signature weakness with no explanation and I'm surprised that seems to be such a controversial statement.

I wouldn't call that a controversial statement. You're right; the film does not address it, but it's just not something that bothers me because there's many rational explanations for it. I guess this is where headcanon comes in to fill the gaps. Mine is, it came down to choice for each predators' preferred cloaking tech (and weapons). Some liked a more advanced tech while others didn't. It's not all that different from human hunters choosing different camo patterns; some patterns work better than others but it really just boils down to the hunter's choice when selecting their gear.

SiL

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Jul 17, 2023, 09:16:44 PMI think it's just that most people aren't really bothered by details like that when they enjoyed the film overall.
I don't know, PAS seems to get personally offended every time I mention anything that could be seen as slightly negative about the film.

It's not even an issue for me watching the movie. It just strikes me as incongruent with the vibe they were going for with Feral overall.

PAS Spinelli

How am I personally offended?

oduodu

oduodu

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Jul 17, 2023, 09:16:44 PMI think it's just that most people aren't really bothered by details like that when they enjoyed the film overall. It's a bigger issue for people who aren't inclined to cut it as much slack due to goodwill.

yes but that s mainly because the movie AND  franchise means something to them on a very personal and spiritual level.

it why it s like that, that interests me

SiL

Which works both ways. Nobody's getting upset about things that aren't meaningful to them - but at the same time nobody's getting defensive about things that aren't meaningful to them.

That can obviously get volatile but for the most part people here have reasonable conversations.

Local Trouble

True.  I thought Prey was pretty mid, to be honest, but I don't care enough about the franchise to say much about it either.  I leave that to the soda-drinking Predator fans.

SiL

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jul 18, 2023, 08:07:17 AMTrue.  I thought Prey was pretty mid, to be honest, but I don't care enough about the franchise to say much about it either.  I leave that to the soda-drinking Predator fans.
In the kind of person who thinks red wine and cola is actually quite nice, so I guess that explains why I'm on an AvP site.

Local Trouble

oduodu

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jul 18, 2023, 08:07:17 AMTrue.  I thought Prey was pretty mid, to be honest, but I don't care enough about the franchise to say much about it either.  I leave that to the soda-drinking Predator fans.

i admit that i not much enough of a fan of theb pred franchise.

BUT

I wanted to known from those that

ARE

if the direction Prey took was ok not ok bad good and all yje accompanying reasons why.

its the sometimes lack of a "yay or nay"  that kind of surprises/confuses me.

its like no one really cares enough about whats going on to speak up.

tags:
speculation
suspicion

SiL

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jul 18, 2023, 08:52:15 AMThe official drink of AvP fans?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calimocho
Oh shit, it has a name?

Now  I can make it sound fancy.

Immortan Jonesy

Mr.Turok

Quote from: SiL on Jul 17, 2023, 08:33:08 PMSo do I, but the filmmakers themselves hammered home the idea repeatedly (the cluster bombs being an early version of the self destruct, for example).
I had no idea? I thought they were just another weapon to use. Now this leads to the question of self destruct being a new rule of preserving honor or Feral being hot headed enough to believe that he wouldn't ever need to use the self destruct as intended and for a weapon against the French Trappers instead.

Quote from: SiL on Jul 17, 2023, 08:33:08 PMIt's glaring to show a cloaking device devoid of its signature weakness with no explanation and I'm surprised that seems to be such a controversial statement.

I saw it in the same way I see how tech is in real life, like say firearms for instance. Some firearms have advantages and disadvantages over others and are constantly going under development. Pistols, Shotguns, Rifles, Sniper Rifles, ect all have a different role to play and even then within their respective functions, not all truly stand above the other. Like how some rifles have a longer barrel and stronger mechanism that allows to shoot heavier calibers but at the cost of some mobility due to the added weight. Or some can hold more types of ammunition over others and some can shoot more accurately than others.

I suspect that the cloak back then had stronger effectiveness at being water resistant but at the cost of a less effective invisibility. Cloaking as we see in more modern times like in 87 got better invisibility but at the cost of outright no water resistance. And Dan's comments on Feral's cloaking supports my theory seeing how he said the cloak is a older version of the previous films.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed