Prey receives Emmy nomination for Outstanding TV Movie (and more!)

Started by Nightmare Asylum, Jul 12, 2023, 04:05:08 PM

Author
Prey receives Emmy nomination for Outstanding TV Movie (and more!) (Read 17,750 times)

Engineer

Quote from: Superstitious Man on Jul 16, 2023, 09:17:52 PMPrey was great - loved it.

Predator 1 remains my fav, with Pred 2, Predators and Prey level-pegging.

The Predator obviously comes last.

The only thing I didn't like about Prey was the Predator design. I don't like this obsession with having to re-design it all the time. Its mouth opened far too wide and the bone mask sucked. It reflected more primitive technology - yet they still mastered space travel. Didn't stack-up for me. But aside from the Pred' face and mask, Prey is a solid 8/10.

Hopefully more to come.

Currently reading all the comics. Even the Archie ones!

Re: the primitive technology but still mastered space travel bit.

My take on that real quick: He (feral) had a preference for using less sophisticated weaponry, but that doesn't necessarily mean the more high tech weapons we've seen in other films weren't available to him. Lot of modern day human hunters chose to use bow and arrows for example (of varying technological sophistication there too). My grandpa prefers his rifle, while my uncle prefers a traditional bow. Sometimes they switch it up and use a compound bow. Either way, I just took that as feral's personal hunting preference to use less sophisticated weaponry.

[cancerblack]

Yep. Just on my street, there's a guy who goes pig hunting with his guns, and another who goes pig hunting with a sharp stick and a pair of dogs.

kwisatz

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Jul 16, 2023, 10:36:54 PMYep. Just on my street, there's a guy who goes pig hunting with his guns, and another who goes pig hunting with a sharp stick and a pair of dogs.

Good too hear your town's gone back to normal.

Engineer

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Jul 16, 2023, 10:36:54 PMYep. Just on my street, there's a guy who goes pig hunting with his guns, and another who goes pig hunting with a sharp stick and a pair of dogs.
I've heard of that one too! I saw some hunting show once where this dude went hunting for boars with a pack of dogs and a k-bar lol
Another one: noodling for catfish which I think is insane! I don't have the nerve for that.

ralfy

Quote from: PAS Spinelli on Jul 16, 2023, 09:20:53 PMPredator surely never had any politics in it right, it's not like the first 2 movies have a major subplot about how the government and military will use people as expandable assets, that is not political at all, nah

I'm guessing that a subsequent one would have involved that given any report by Dutch to his superiors, but by the second movie, societies were already falling apart due to crime and economic problems.

There was the part in the second movie, though, where one gov't group pretending to be part of the DEA wanted to capture the predator, and that Dutch was supposed to have been its leader. (They couldn't continue that because Arnold backed out.)

SiL

Quote from: Engineer on Jul 16, 2023, 10:06:01 PMHe (feral) had a preference for using less sophisticated weaponry,
But also cloaking devices that are better than available two hundred years later!

PAS Spinelli

Quote from: SiL on Jul 17, 2023, 03:57:59 AM
Quote from: Engineer on Jul 16, 2023, 10:06:01 PMHe (feral) had a preference for using less sophisticated weaponry,
But also cloaking devices that are better than available two hundred years later!
His device was very sensitive to f**king dust, also took way longer to properly cloak, it's likely just different manufacturers or craftsman ship

SiL

... and didn't short out in water, the most consistently displayed weakness since the first movie.

It shorting out in ash makes sense. It's made very fine particles, it would screw with whatever mechanism is working to bend the light. But so would water. Having one affect it but not the other just makes it feel very superficial.

PAS Spinelli

Right, and all other Predators also never had their cloak fail after being impacted by bullets or even bleeding on it, the cloak has never been consistent in these films, and this one is VISIBLY different from every other cloaking device by working in "chunks" around the body and being red

SiL

Quote from: PAS Spinelli on Jul 17, 2023, 05:59:44 AMthe cloak has never been consistent in these films
Except the water. It's the one consistent weakness and this supposedly primitive version handles it like a champ. It stands out.

PAS Spinelli

Quote from: SiL on Jul 17, 2023, 07:15:45 AM
Quote from: PAS Spinelli on Jul 17, 2023, 05:59:44 AMthe cloak has never been consistent in these films
Except the water. It's the one consistent weakness and this supposedly primitive version handles it like a champ. It stands out.
True, the cloak always went out when coming in contact with a liq-

SiL

SiL

Notice neither of those are presented as primitive technology.

Also notice I'm not complaining about bear blood. Opaque liquids don't seem to bother the cloak - again, fairly consistent.

PAS Spinelli

Show me in the movie where it's said "this predator is using primitive technology".
 And no, the words of a writer, director, actor or whatever have no bearing on this because it's not represented in the movie. The Cloak is just a different type of cloak, the same way we have seen different types of spears, wristblades, discs, heat vision and even plasma casters.

SiL

SiL

Even if they're not primitive, they're 300 years older than what we see later. Still a noticeable backwards step.

Engineer

Engineer

Quote from: SiL on Jul 17, 2023, 03:57:59 AM
Preferences are preferences 🤷 lol
Some hunters use fancier camo too so I don't see an issue there

simple explanation is that feral chose a cloak that was more water proof than the others. It's speculative, but within the realm of reason and plausibility. It's easy enough to assume feral liked more primitive weapons and more water proof/resistant cloaking.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed