Aliens: Dark Descent

Started by BlueMarsalis79, Jun 09, 2022, 06:09:08 PM

Author
Aliens: Dark Descent (Read 58,646 times)

skhellter

skhellter

Game looks really solid. Seeing all the things inspired by the RPG and the Dark Horse comics really made me happy.

Looking forward to grabbing this when i get a new pc.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Got spoiled on some details of the ending portion recently.

Spoiler
I loathe the eight petaled massive Eggs and (therefore implied) Facehuggers here, can the regular ones not just use acid to make a hole if necessary and shoot their goo? It just seems like unnecessary bigger better dumb power scaling and totally undermines the "perfect organism" if it must adapt so much before even coming into contact with a host.
[close]

The rest looks neat.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Quote from: Wweyland on Jun 30, 2023, 10:51:02 AMNo Pathogen? Well, thats a switch!

It definitely feels more like the old EU to me.  Which I am quite fond of. 

bobby brown

bobby brown

people keep calling them the perfect organism and talk about them being so adaptive. What exactly are they referring to?

I thought the
Spoiler
Big Eggs
[close]
was a solid attempt at showing this. Perhaps this is an older strain.

aliens13

aliens13

Quote from: Kimarhi on Jul 02, 2023, 05:33:31 AM
Quote from: Wweyland on Jun 30, 2023, 10:51:02 AMNo Pathogen? Well, thats a switch!

I'm very happy that this game didn't take Prometheus and Covenant lore to make his story.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: bobby brown on Jul 03, 2023, 01:22:41 PMI thought the
Spoiler
Big Eggs
[close]
was a solid attempt at showing this. Perhaps this is an older strain.

I appreciate the idea, less so the execution.

ralfy

ralfy

It's more challenging than similar, like Xcom, because it includes additional factors, like dealing with resource limitations during missions.

The problem, as one gamer in another forum pointed out, is that those factors may eventually overwhelm, turning the game into a set of squad-based missions with an Alien skin, but with several cut scenes to make up for such. In which case, one can imagine not using the Aliens franchise for the game and getting similar results, or even coming up with other storylines for the same or similar missions.

OTOH, one can argue that similar applies to something like Alien: Isolation in light of games like those from the Amnesia franchise, though: action-adventures where you simply hide and solve puzzles.

In which case, what would a fan of the franchise consider? Probably a game that combines both?

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: TheBATMAN on Jun 30, 2023, 04:04:38 PM
Spoiler
Nice link to the RPG with the Montero.
[close]

Yeah, I smiled at that too.

Quote from: Kimarhi on Jul 02, 2023, 05:33:31 AM

For sure. I think the best description of the game is its like an adaptation of a scenario from the RPG. The RPG already has a lot of love for the old EU embodied in it, and Dark Descent feels like a scenario taking advantage of all of that.

Wweyland

Wweyland

So second best Alien game in the last 20 years?

Still Collating...

Still Collating...

As far as I'm concerned, hell yeah.

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Jul 01, 2023, 11:05:12 PMGot spoiled on some details of the ending portion recently.

Spoiler
I loathe the eight petaled massive Eggs and (therefore implied) Facehuggers here, can the regular ones not just use acid to make a hole if necessary and shoot their goo? It just seems like unnecessary bigger better dumb power scaling and totally undermines the "perfect organism" if it must adapt so much before even coming into contact with a host.
[close]

The rest looks neat.

I'm torn on that honestly. A part of me, just like you, thinks it's silly and unnecessary. But also, seems cool aesthetically and maybe it's an older strain, maybe they originally were like that?

BenditlikeBeckum

BenditlikeBeckum

Much like David and his (contraband) at the end of Covenant, I think its just making up for a plothole and rather silly writing. I mean like....how were eggs made in the first place if there was no queen?

bobby brown

bobby brown

Grown? I always like to think the eggs in the hold, in alien, are growing out of the ground. like a pumpkin patch from hell.

BenditlikeBeckum

BenditlikeBeckum

Sabres21768

Sabres21768

Egg-morphing forever!

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: BenditlikeBeckum on Jul 14, 2023, 02:26:18 PMhow were eggs made in the first place if there was no queen?

There was no queen in the first movie either. Lots of eggs though.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed