Aliens Bishop

Started by felix, Apr 19, 2023, 04:56:25 AM

Author
Aliens Bishop (Read 76,817 times)

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Wweyland on Apr 24, 2023, 04:41:44 PMI agree with this. But now I realize that Colonial Marines just came out slightly before the book.

Damn, you're right. I had it after Out of the Shadows.

Mostly though I try to forget that game even exists at all, so it doesn't really matter ;D

Still Collating...

Still Collating...

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Apr 24, 2023, 07:38:23 AM
Quote from: SiL on Apr 23, 2023, 11:46:07 PMI think it makes the most sense that these people don't pay attention to the movies.

This comment reminded me of the number of glaring inconsistencies in River of Pain that even one cursory viewing of the movie would've immediately highlighted.

River of Pain had the most ridiculous inconsistencies I've ever seen in the franchise.

Engineer

Engineer

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Apr 24, 2023, 06:12:54 PM
Quote from: Wweyland on Apr 24, 2023, 04:41:44 PMI agree with this. But now I realize that Colonial Marines just came out slightly before the book.

Damn, you're right. I had it after Out of the Shadows.

Mostly though I try to forget that game even exists at all, so it doesn't really matter ;D

I'd love to forget that game exists too

Mr. Clemens

Mr. Clemens

If the author of the Bishop novel is reading this thread, they must be so bummed out.  ;D

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

To be fair my big issue is the Apone connection, and that reeks of studio insistence to me. The rest of the synopsis has me interested.

Wweyland

Wweyland

Quote from: Still Collating... on Apr 24, 2023, 06:39:15 PM
Quote from: HuDaFuK on Apr 24, 2023, 07:38:23 AM
Quote from: SiL on Apr 23, 2023, 11:46:07 PMI think it makes the most sense that these people don't pay attention to the movies.

This comment reminded me of the number of glaring inconsistencies in River of Pain that even one cursory viewing of the movie would've immediately highlighted.

River of Pain had the most ridiculous inconsistencies I've ever seen in the franchise.

I would replace "in the franchise" with "in a franchise". I am amazed it still gets recommended as one of the "must-read alien books".

Still Collating...

Still Collating...

Honestly, I'm also intrigued by the first half of the synopsis, the relatives I can do without. At least this I'll probably be picking up. I am interested what the author can bring to the table.

Komenja

Komenja

QuoteI liked Blue well enough

Spoiler
before the character got turned into a talking Alien
[close]
Spoiler
For me, that's the best part  :-[
[close]

Some Old Dude

Some Old Dude

I was happy with the idea of Michael Bishop getting his own Thrawn style book. But why does every character in Aliens have a Greek sized extended family all in the Colonial marines?

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: Komenja on Apr 24, 2023, 11:26:37 PM
QuoteI liked Blue well enough

Spoiler
before the character got turned into a talking Alien
[close]
Spoiler
For me, that's the best part  :-[
[close]

Different strokes ...

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: Wweyland on Apr 24, 2023, 10:23:38 AMIt feels as bad as the "Somehow, the LV-426 Colony survived" trope we have had multiple times already.
When has it happened other than A:CM?

Wweyland

Wweyland

Quote from: Xenomrph on Apr 25, 2023, 08:32:27 AM
Quote from: Wweyland on Apr 24, 2023, 10:23:38 AMIt feels as bad as the "Somehow, the LV-426 Colony survived" trope we have had multiple times already.
When has it happened other than A:CM?
Aliens: Aftermath at least.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Apr 24, 2023, 08:28:32 PMTo be fair my big issue is the Apone connection, and that reeks of studio insistence to me. The rest of the synopsis has me interested.

It reminds me of what White had talked about them, presenting multiple ideas so they did not do something dumb like family ties, that maybe this author did not, and they decided it "needed a punching up" which ultimately ruined Prometheus and many other stories.

Perfect Organism ;-)

Perfect Organism ;-)

Interesting.  I'm not a big Alien 3 fan, but interesting is interesting.  Hopefully we get an audio drama with Lance Henriksen afterwards.

Sarahlyn35

Sarahlyn35

I'm in two minds. A Bishop centric story makes me very happy, but the weaving in of an Apone family tree has me cringing. Maybe if it was aligned more to Gibsons first draft treatment of Alien 3 where Bishop has a lot more insight into the Xenos and research that the UPP were doing it might make more sense. Drop the Apone completely. I'm intrigued to see what they do with Michael Bishop as in the film they left it so ambiguous.
I'm going to hold out hope..

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed