All Star Trek

Started by Shasvre, Jan 09, 2010, 09:26:47 PM

Author
All Star Trek (Read 346,401 times)

Immortan Jonesy

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Huh. I wonder how accessible this will be for some (*cough* me) that hasn't seen any of the current Trek TV shows (and only sporadic episodes of TOS/TNG) but has seen all of the prior Trek films...

Also, as far as the current stuff goes, I'm pretty curious to check out Strange New Worlds based on what I've heard about that one.

Stitch

Stitch

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Apr 18, 2023, 06:43:07 PMHuh. I wonder how accessible this will be for some (*cough* me) that hasn't seen any of the current Trek TV shows (and only sporadic episodes of TOS/TNG) but has seen all of the prior Trek films...

Also, as far as the current stuff goes, I'm pretty curious to check out Strange New Worlds based on what I've heard about that one.
Apparently it's related to her character in Discovery. I didn't read the full article that talked about it because I haven't watched the series yet and didn't want it spoiled.

ace3g

ace3g

Prez

Prez

Yer I'm not so keen on a Section 31 movie to be honest. Maybe I am a bit old on this but I prefer my Trek to Boldly Go and be hopeful. Gritty and edgy doesn't seem Trek to me. That said Yeoh was one of the few bright spots for me on Discovery.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Prez on Apr 20, 2023, 11:58:51 AMI prefer my Trek to Boldly Go and be hopeful. Gritty and edgy doesn't seem Trek to me.

This is exactly why I found Beyond to be such a breath of fresh air after the absolutely dire Into Darkness.

I really need to just kick myself into geat and start watching some Star Trek TV proper. I've seen a bunch of TOS episodes, always at random on TV, and a small handful of season one TNG episodes, but that's it for Trek TV for me. I've seen every movie across all three cinematic iterations just cause a movie is a lot easier to commit to than the plethora of Star Trek TV out there, and as a concept I really love what Trek is all about, but I really need to change those viewing habits and get to actually watching some of the best of what the shows have to offer soon...

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Season 3 of Picard was certainly a nostalgia bukkake of epic proportions, but I can't say it didn't work for me.  My face looks like a glazed donut.

kwisatz

kwisatz

Quote from: Local Trouble on Apr 20, 2023, 10:17:04 PMSeason 3 of Picard was certainly a nostalgia bukkake of epic proportions, but I can't say it didn't work for me.  My face looks like a glazed donut.

Spoiler
[close]

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Got to make it through today without seeing any spoilers for the Picard finale.

Loving the looks of SNW Season 2 too. Looks like the Gorn are back. I like they're keeping that running.

Prez

Prez

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 21, 2023, 09:32:58 AMGot to make it through today without seeing any spoilers for the Picard finale.

Loving the looks of SNW Season 2 too. Looks like the Gorn are back. I like they're keeping that running.

That finale. You will love it. It was beautiful.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Prez on Apr 20, 2023, 11:58:51 AMMaybe I am a bit old on this but I prefer my Trek to Boldly Go and be hopeful. Gritty and edgy doesn't seem Trek to me.
I'm not sure what our age gap is (and I imagine you wouldn't want to think about it?) but I agree. Some of the OG Trek had heavy ideas -- but it wasn't "f**k you" gritty and edgy, it was "hey wouldn't it suck if you had to let someone get run over or else really screw with reality?"

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Prez on Apr 22, 2023, 06:59:03 AM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 21, 2023, 09:32:58 AMGot to make it through today without seeing any spoilers for the Picard finale.

That finale. You will love it. It was beautiful.

They made effective use of the old themes.

Cougerboy

Cougerboy

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Apr 18, 2023, 05:32:50 PMhttps://twitter.com/Variety/status/1648342369530413056

Her Oscar win has nothing to do with the decision to turn it into a movie...of course.  8)

Quote from: Prez on Mar 02, 2023, 12:09:48 PMWatched (again) the beautiful 4k Director's Edition of Star Trek The Motion Picture.
My fave Star Trek film has never looked or sounded better.

And the Enterprise refit is still my all time favourite starship.

Amen to that. The refit Enterprise still looks great to this day.

I remember falling asleep when I first watched the original theatrical cut of the Motion Picture. I saw there was a good movie somewhere in there, I saw they were trying to say something meaningful and interesting beyond the simple "Buck Rogers" style of sci-fi prevalent then. But it was all kinda hidden and jumbled by everything else.  The languid pace in the middle section of the film was especially hard for me to get through. But the ending I always found was good.

Now realizing what a mess the production of the movie was, I guess you could say it could have been worse given the issues with making the movie. How the TMP was supposed to be Star Trek Phase II TV series, then switched to becoming a movie, then switched back again to a TV series before finally the executives decided on turning it into a movie given the success of Star Wars. How it didn't have a finished script when the shooting started. How the special effects were delayed and went way over-budget. How Roddenberry (repeatedly) seem to want to sabotage the movie with his ill-conceived ideas (I don't know what happened to Roddenberry in the decade between the end of the TOS and TMP, but he developed some pretty wacky ideas...maybe he listened to too many fan worship during his convention attendances). Given all those problems behind-the-scenes, its a credit to Wise that he even managed to assembled a somewhat coherent movie at all.

And then watching the Director's Edition many years later, I can say...there was no argument that edition of the movie was a substantial improvement. The pacing was better, the little character moments that Wise put in helped to make them standout a little more than the mere passive background observers they were in the original cut. And of course the effects, sound and overall presentation were much improved (although to the credit of the TMP theatrical cut, some of the original 1979 effects looks good even to this day).

The Director Edition wasn't perfect though, parts of it still felt a little slow. And there was only so much Wise and his crew could do to paper over some of the inherent weaker moments of the film. Nevertheless, I will say in conclusion the Director's Edition help rescued the TMP from a badly flawed movie to become a flawed gem. Not perfect. Certainly not Wise's best film, but it is much more watchable and enjoyable than the theatrical version.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed