10 (5.1%)
Hated it! (0/5)
7 (3.5%)

Total Members Voted: 196

Author
Prey Fan Reviews (Read 162,687 times)

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

Quote from: Mike's Monsters on Sep 01, 2022, 10:07:28 PMMy new favorite is now that people need to grieve a certain way. Try being told someone you love dies while you are part of a system that won't work well if you need to take the time to grieve. Her mother smacking the hide after Taabe's news is very relatable having been on productions when finding out I've lost a loved one. No time to stop or else the show won't go on, so you have to suck it up and cry later. God damn, I didn't know people had to emote in exact ways for people to realize what's going on.

Imagine if someone told you in your darkest hour in real life that you're emotions are the wrong kind and you should be sadder, angrier, or you're showing too much. That's what it feels like I'm reading here. Being told to emote a certain way is such a weird take.

It baffles me too but also at the same time reminds me, especially as someone with autism, that things like  behaviour and social skills are in fact skills and not something that comes as "naturally" to everyone as some might think.

Pardon me while I restrain myself from saying
Spoiler
"skill issue".
[close]

Prez

Prez

Quote from: PsyKore on Sep 01, 2022, 02:06:07 PM
Quote from: DaddyYautja on Sep 01, 2022, 06:00:07 AMThe dude misses a stationary dog right in front of him

Quote from: Komenja on Sep 01, 2022, 07:37:08 AMThe dog, though... yeah.

I am so f**king thankful that dog didn't get hurt. I was on the edge of my seat most of the time worried that it would... 8)

The dog is Jones' great, great, great, great grandfather's mortal nemesis.

Mike’s Monsters

Mike’s Monsters

Quote from: Crazy Rich on Sep 01, 2022, 11:01:41 PM
Quote from: Mike's Monsters on Sep 01, 2022, 10:07:28 PMMy new favorite is now that people need to grieve a certain way. Try being told someone you love dies while you are part of a system that won't work well if you need to take the time to grieve. Her mother smacking the hide after Taabe's news is very relatable having been on productions when finding out I've lost a loved one. No time to stop or else the show won't go on, so you have to suck it up and cry later. God damn, I didn't know people had to emote in exact ways for people to realize what's going on.

Imagine if someone told you in your darkest hour in real life that you're emotions are the wrong kind and you should be sadder, angrier, or you're showing too much. That's what it feels like I'm reading here. Being told to emote a certain way is such a weird take.

It baffles me too but also at the same time reminds me, especially as someone with autism, that things like  behaviour and social skills are in fact skills and not something that comes as "naturally" to everyone as some might think.

Spoiler
"skill issue".
[close]

Very, very good point.

Prez

Prez

Quote from: Mike's Monsters on Sep 01, 2022, 11:24:11 PM

Spoiler
"skill issue".
[close]

Very, very good point.

I know a few people who smile and laugh when faced with grief or confronting bad news. It's their way. It's not wrong - it's just the way they deal with overwhelming and strong (sad) emotions.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: overthere on Sep 01, 2022, 09:34:08 PM
Quote from: SiL on Sep 01, 2022, 08:44:34 PMShe's also referring to Taabe when she says not everyone.

What do you wanted her to say?

"It killed your whole clan"
"Yes you're totally right I am now completely alone and defenceless; nobody can possibly come to save me and I am at your mercy."

That's moronic.

She could have not said anything
She's being defiant and trying to intimidate the trappers by telling them there are more people out there coming for them.

Mike’s Monsters

Mike’s Monsters

Quote from: Prez on Sep 01, 2022, 11:33:43 PM

Spoiler
"skill issue".
[close]

Very, very good point.

I know a few people who smile and laugh when faced with grief or confronting bad news. It's their way. It's not wrong - it's just the way they deal with overwhelming and strong (sad) emotions.

I laughed when I lost my job shortly after my mom dying, so definitely a thing. It was a "how can this get any worse, and someone has to be f**king with me" kind of laugh. Just craziness because I was overwhelmed.

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

Quote from: Mike's Monsters on Sep 01, 2022, 11:36:27 PM
Quote from: Prez on Sep 01, 2022, 11:33:43 PM

Spoiler
"skill issue".
[close]

Very, very good point.

I laughed when I lost my job shortly after my mom dying, so definitely a thing. It was a "how can this get any worse, and someone has to be f**king with me" kind of laugh. Just craziness because I was overwhelmed.

Really goes to show that how one expresses themselves in a certain scenario isn't always black and white and the people who don't get that have a lot to learn.

Mr.Turok

Mr.Turok

Quote from: DaddyYautja on Sep 01, 2022, 09:44:16 PMI think you are purposely ignoring parts of the post to complain. This Pred is not part of the main plot. The story of this movie is just a girl following her dream.

Wtf are you talking about, deadass? If the Predator isn't part of the main plot then there would be no conflict. Seriously, now this is some gymnastics levels of coping and seething of someone upset that the lead kills a Predator. You can say this same thing for every Predator film, its just a movie of some guy tricked into doing a CIA mission. It's just a movie of some dude trying to stop a drug war, ect.

Quote from: DaddyYautja on Sep 01, 2022, 09:44:16 PMIn Pred 1 the pred kills the first team causing the movie to happen. Because of the pred Dutchs team get drawn into the situation.

Half-True, the team was called in there to do a mission, what was thought to be a rescue mission turns out to be an seek and destroy mission, all manipulated by Dillon and his superiors. If Dutch refused the mission, that wouldn't stop the Predator from hunting the rest of the guerilla camp.

Quote from: DaddyYautja on Sep 01, 2022, 09:44:16 PMIn 2 the pred decides to get in the middle of a gang war which means the main characters have to get involve which leads to the movie happening.

False, the drug war was already happening and what could have been a cops vs gangs film became a Predator film with the creature's involvement.

Quote from: DaddyYautja on Sep 01, 2022, 09:44:16 PMIn Preds the preds pick people up and drop them somewhere else for other preds to hunt. They are the cause of the whole movie.

Quote from: DaddyYautja on Sep 01, 2022, 09:44:16 PMIn The Pred two preds are fighting causing a crash which has people looking into this leading to the rest of the movie.
True, this is not even false.

Quote from: DaddyYautja on Sep 01, 2022, 09:44:16 PMIn Prey the pred is just randomly killing things for half of the movie not doing anything involving the plot until the main character finally goes after him which then FINALLY has the pred take notice. The movie doesn't happen because of the pred the movie happens because of the main character. Again, the first pred movie where the pred isn't spark that leads to the rest of the events. 

Yeah, its called conflict and character establishment. We see both sides of Naru and Feral observing, stalking, and working things out in the beginning of the film. With Feral testing out the local wildlife, Naru creating new tools to be a more efficient hunter, both Naru and Feral noticing the third player side of the film, the French Trappers, and

Quote from: DaddyYautja on Sep 01, 2022, 09:44:16 PMNo stronger than him in strength. She overpowers him several times. When the pred had her by the neck and she pushes herself to the rocks, when she uses the spear and pushes his shield arm so far back he cuts his other arm, and when she pulls him into the mud. It's crazy.

"The neck" that's on Feral for thinking he's got her right where he wants her and not snapping her neck within a second due to his arrogance. Pride is always a poison that can even kill a god.

"Spear" I covered this with Pred-Nookie that a heavy blow from a spear, especially one with a mace at the end, will never disperse all that kinetic energy behind it, there will always be some force when parring the blow with a shield and she hit it at an angle where it drove the shield back and knocked into it's arm. It would be different if she hit's it dead center where resistance is at it's strongest.

"Mud Trap" Yeah, I recall that Sarii gave her the tomahawk with the rope at the end where she tied up the legs, then the neck, and then used leverage to pull him into the mud. If you know anything about levers and pulleys is that it can help work with weight that one cannot do with their hands by themselves.

Quote from: DaddyYautja on Sep 01, 2022, 09:44:16 PMThis Preds weakness is that he constantly walks into traps even when he knows they are there, his thermal vision randomly works, he can't use his weapons, this is the worst showing of a pred in film. It's hardly exploiting when there are so many.

Nothing in the scene shows that he knew about the traps. Hell, he didn't even know about the Frenchmen hiding under cover to trap him, so how in the hell can he see cold metal? He only knew about the trap Naru had as it was directly on her leg. His weapons are fine, simply that like with any weapon, it has flaws and weaknesses and they are simply exploited.

Quote from: DaddyYautja on Sep 01, 2022, 09:44:16 PMI'll give you unique but it sure as hell not interesting. Who wants to see a movie about a dumb predator? They are supposed to be high level hunters, who wants to see a pred get constantly beat up by the main characters when his not doing dumb stuff?
Let me tell you a quick summary of a old story that relates to this, one that even Dan took inspiration from, its called David vs Goliath:

QuoteA great Philistine giant named Goliath, that stood at over nine feet tall, came to the front of the Philistine battle line each day for forty days and mocked the Israelites and their God. Goliath called to them to fight, but King Saul and the Israelites were scared and did nothing.

David was sent by his dad Jesse to visit the front lines and bring back battle news from his brothers. David heard Goliath mocking Israel and their God. David was brave and volunteered to fight Goliath. He persuaded King Saul to let him go fight and decided not to wear any of King Saul's armor. David carried his sling and gathered five smooth stones. Goliath laughed at David, but David responded that even though Goliath had a sword and spear, he came in the name of the Lord Almighty, the God of Israel. David put a rock in his sling and swung one of the rocks at Goliath's head. The rock sank into the giant's forehead, and he fell. David then picked up Goliath's sword and used it to kill Goliath and cut off his head.

Huh.....why does this sound familiar.....sounds like beats from a film we are talking about? Seems like the theme of enemies who think they are almighty and arrogant will see themselves fall hard to opponents they underestimate? The behind the scenes even explained that Feral is a hot blooded Young Blood who also is out there proving himself to be a strong hunter. A counterpart to Naru who while also wants to be a hunter, is always humbled and learns from the experience of her failures to succeed in the next battle. The concept of this enemy architype is nothing new and it's old as time. Nothing is wrong with this trope and the theme the Predator is fulfilling. 

Quote from: DaddyYautja on Sep 01, 2022, 09:44:16 PMThey are there because of her, they went to go pick her up because of her nonsense. The pred is drawn to them because of her, he took an interest in her and started tracking her. This is her fault on every level, she created this situation.

She kept warning them of the danger and they ignored her so she went to settle the matter herself. If they simply went with her to check out a possible threat to the tribe, then perhaps they could have worked together to face this threat. Show them the body of the bear and then they will think things differently. This was all due to their negligence on heeding her waring and they paid the price for it.

Quote from: DaddyYautja on Sep 01, 2022, 09:44:16 PMWhy? he was kicking the Preds butt so hard the pred had to regroup? why does he suddenly give up? He just stopped.
As I said to Nookie before: Combat pragmatism. Feral's new opponent is good, so he decides to play the stealth kill card using his cloak as the trump card. People throw dirt in the eyes, use the environment to their advantage, go for the "cheap shot" in any combat life and death situation. Taabe saw this and knew that eventually Feral will get to him due to his cloaking, you can't hit what you can't see. He gave her sister a fighting chance to live, something that any family with love in their group will do for one another. This is nothing new or bad, it's all in the line.

Quote from: DaddyYautja on Sep 01, 2022, 09:44:16 PMThe problem with this is that she wanted the pred for the second she saw his track. She wants the pred so bad that she annoyed her brother and mother and decided to go hunting alone. I don't think the brother dying change anything in the story. Plus the brother was kicking the Preds ass so it's not like the pred did this to mock the main character.

Again, they fail to at least check out what the fuss is all about. Their fault for failing to investigating a new threat to the tribe. Especially the warriors escalated further when they started to beat her down, you lost the argument at that point. They didn't even consider at least working together to find Taabe, strength in numbers after all but they had to tell her what to do. This falls on them.

Quote from: Crazy Rich on Sep 01, 2022, 11:43:46 PMReally goes to show that how one expresses themselves in a certain scenario isn't always black and white and the people who don't get that have a lot to learn.
Let's not forget that there is already a scene with Naru and her mother grieving about the loss, one washing herself of blood with hands shaking and the other breaking down while trying to do a work chore.

PredBabe

PredBabe

Quote from: overthere on Sep 01, 2022, 10:23:08 PM
Quote from: exorcissy72 on Sep 01, 2022, 10:19:00 PM
Quote from: overthere on Sep 01, 2022, 05:09:03 PMThey tell Naru "he killed your whole clan" and she is all smug about it "no, he didn't kill everyone" like saying "f**k my clan, they don't matter"

That's not at all how she's saying it. She's trying to play a game of intimidation with the French trappers she's saying "not everyone" implying there's more of her tribe out there and referring to herself and Taabe -- she of course didn't know that they had captured Taabe at the same time.

QuoteI don't see her changing at the end. People changed their opinion on her, but she's the same.

She definitely changes. At the start of the story she thinks kuhtaamia is all about proving herself, by the end of the film she's learned that it's really about protecting the tribe and her people. She kills Feral and tells her people it's time to leave.

meh

I mean, I think the movie is ok, I'm not nitpicking things to hate on it.
I'm ok with Naru, my main beef is with the Predator not really showing characteristics that I like in my Predators.

That's one of my bigger gripes too...

It's nice to see that the film speaks to some fans on a personal level though- granted comments of Prey being better than the first movie (or even movies like Aliens) really has me wondering if it's all just the hype talking.
But I digress and hope it will age well for me in time.

I just find it extremely disappointing that it's right at my fingertips for me to watch on Hulu and I don't even have that desire to revisit it for a 3rd time just yet.

For me it was barebones by way of storytelling. They went back to basics but made it too basic.
I never really looked at the Predator franchise as your typical slasher movie and yet that's how Prey felt to me as they didn't even bother making any other characters, apart from Naru and Taabe (and sure the doggo too) likable and interesting.

Instead of having conversations amongst the Comanche tribe revolving around other things that could build more character and a proper feel of the time period this movie is set in (like their beef with the fur trappers or even some shamanism), we consistently see characters talk down Naru instead.

The French trappers felt even more undercooked for me and I think that was one of the bigger missed opportunities for establishing more unique scenes and dialogue amongst the characters.
They were displayed as completely goofy barbarians who were somehow able to piece together the predator creature and it's intentions quicker than Dutch's men. Maybe you can argue that they got a glimpse of Feral attacking someone or something, but I think it was a poor decision and lazy writing to not establish more than what was shown.

That all being said, I am really enjoying people approaching me about Prey that know I've been a fan of this franchise. That has been a joy.

Highland

Highland

Naru being weak (insert woman if required) is the lamest argument I've seen pop up. 

Dutch is a God damn ant compared to a predator. The movie makes sure you know that.

Can't remember anybody criticising Vas when she pins a damn Alien to the wall with her foot  :laugh:

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: overthere on Sep 01, 2022, 09:34:08 PMShe could have not said anything
Predator and Predator 2 are chock full of one liners why do you want Naru to not say anything? :S

Quote from: Highland on Sep 02, 2022, 11:18:21 AMCan't remember anybody criticising Vas when she pins a damn Alien to the wall with her foot  :laugh:
Lots of people did actually. They couldn't stand the vent scene. That was mostly because they were the kind of fans that say Cameron ruined the Aliens etc etc

Quote from: PredBabe on Sep 02, 2022, 04:21:25 AMhas me wondering if it's all just the hype talking.
Yeah some of it is we all know PREDATOR 2 still unrivalled  8)

Highland

Highland

Cameron ruined Aliens then Ridley said hold my beer!

I think the criticism of the horror element is very valid, but I just can't imagine Predator ever being that scary again( I did think P1 was scary as hell as a kid).

I'd love to be proved wrong though.

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Naru's evolution is pretty simple : she is not a warrior, she wants to become one, she fails, then she succeeds.

I don't get how people say it's not there.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Prez on Sep 01, 2022, 11:33:43 PMI know a few people who smile and laugh when faced with grief or confronting bad news. It's their way. It's not wrong - it's just the way they deal with overwhelming and strong (sad) emotions.

I did that at my grandmother's funeral, and on other occasions where I wasn't supposed to laugh :-X 🙈

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

We all grieve differently, for me, I always break down much later.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed