[SPOILERS] Feral Predator Design Thread

Started by The Shuriken, Jun 05, 2022, 02:47:11 AM

Are you for the new Predator face or against?

I do like the new face design
30 (19.9%)
I do not like the new face design
74 (49%)
It is ok and I am willing to accept the new face design
47 (31.1%)

Total Members Voted: 150

Author
[SPOILERS] Feral Predator Design Thread (Read 155,757 times)

SiL

SiL

Audiences have also proven time and time again they'll be insufferable contrarians whenever something is popular.

Mike’s Monsters

Mike’s Monsters

Quote from: brokentusk420 on Aug 25, 2022, 12:58:35 AMThe ratings mean absolutely nothing. Audiences have proven time and time again they will rate a terrible film high even though it's nothing of the sort. The movie is mid at best but the face design of the creature is pure trash. It's funny cause I bet all of you bashing Critcal Drinker haven't even watched the Prey review. He has as nny positive things to say as well as being brutally honest about the movies many short comings. You people just can't take the criticism or are incapable of understanding what he's talking about.

He spent most of the video complaining about Mary Sue characters and Hollywood tropes after he quickly brushes over that he made a bunch of false claims and that he was wrong about Prey for many months. He's not gospel. He makes good points about movies aoften often, but also falls down the anti-sjw hole very easily, which immediately kills a lot of arguments for myself, and I'm sure others. I don't need forced politics or tropes in my storytelling, and Prey didn't do that.

The film can actually be good to some people, and that doesn't mean you can't go online and say "people" are wrong about it. But doesn't mean you're right either. Audiences also made Alien and Predator the staples they are today, because the people liked them and thought they were good films. If all the people didn't like receive those movies as they are with Prey now, I'd say we wouldn't even be here today posting in these message boards. The movie was likely received well, because it was actually good. Something is working well with this movie that is clicking with audiences, which is bringing new life into Predator.

If audiences mindlessly consumed anything, why didn't The Predator in 2018 get the same reception as Prey?

Kradan

Quote from: brokentusk420 on Aug 25, 2022, 12:58:35 AMThe ratings mean absolutely nothing. Audiences have proven time and time again they will rate a terrible film high even though it's nothing of the sort. The movie is mid at best but the face design of the creature is pure trash. It's funny cause I bet all of you bashing Critcal Drinker haven't even watched the Prey review. He has as nny positive things to say as well as being brutally honest about the movies many short comings. You people just can't take the criticism or are incapable of understanding what he's talking about.

brutally honest LMAO :D

frasermaxx

Dane has done some brilliant movements with the suit!

happypred

Anti-SJWs are every bit the snowflakes they claim SJWs are

exorcissy72

Quote from: brokentusk420 on Aug 25, 2022, 12:58:35 AMThe ratings mean absolutely nothing. Audiences have proven time and time again they will rate a terrible film high even though it's nothing of the sort.

I suppose, but even within the Predator franchise this isn't really the case. Neither, AvP, AvP: R, Predators, or The Predator were critical darlings. Of the four movies the only ones to be considered any sort of financial success would be AvP and Predators and those were soft successes.

Quote from: brokentusk420 on Aug 25, 2022, 12:58:35 AMThe movie is mid at best but the face design of the creature is pure trash.

I actually disagree on all of this. I like the face design, the CGI is a little wonky, but I like that Feral is a different Predator than we've seen before and I really like the masked look. But the movie itself is great -- in a franchise with mostly functional filmmaking (original Predator excluded) Prey is exceptionally well made. It's lyrical and poetic, but also pulpy, gritty, and fun. You obviously didn't like it, nothing wrong with that, but there's lots of folks who did (both critics and fans alike).

Master

Quote from: SiL on Aug 24, 2022, 07:38:40 PMRotten Tomatoes is just an aggregator, what's wrong with using it?

Nothing wrong with using it. I'm just saying it's not very reliable and you know, it's based on few oppinions of critics, who are guys just like us.

Since we are on AvPGalax, just look at Predator 2 review

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/predator_2

Pure bullshit mate.

SiL

SiL

I'd say that's pretty accurate. It's niche, genre schlock. A lot of fun if you're into it but not really appealing to a broad audience.

SiL

SiL

RT isn't inaccurate, it is a percentage of collected reviews. That's it. Critic reviews scored it lower than audience reviews, and audience reviews still aren't overwhelmingly positive.

The 44% tomato score and the 6/10 rating elsewhere all points to "it's ok if its your thing".

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Critics suck get better validation folks

:-*

Master

See 30% movie is really low. I'd say 60% is much more accurate for regular viewer. My opinion is ofcourse biased and I do rate it much higher. But the main thing that makes RT inaccurate is that none of those opinions is evaluated as time goes by. Maybe all those years ago, compared solely to Predator, P2 felt subpair,  but after 6 additional films that none managed to top first sequel, this score is harmful for such well done film.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Master on Aug 25, 2022, 08:40:49 PMSee 30% movie is really low. I'd say 60% is much more accurate for regular viewer.
It's not a rating of the film, it's a percent of people who reviewed it positively. That's why audience score is higher - a greater number of audience members reviewed it positively.

But this is a purely binary look at positive vs negative. If you want to see what the average rating is, then you look at other sites like IMDb.

RT is fine, people just need to use it properly.

Master

Which exactly is the rating of the movie  ;)

SiL

SiL

No, it's a percentage of people who were positive or negative. A 6/10 review could be considered negative.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed