Hated it! (0/5)
7 (3.5%)

Total Members Voted: 196

Author
Prey Fan Reviews (Read 155,767 times)

kwisatz

kwisatz

Quote from: Kradan on Aug 23, 2022, 08:25:18 PM
Quote from: SiL on Aug 23, 2022, 08:21:22 PMHicks is going to have an aneurysm when he sees this thread.

If anyone asks, it's definetly not my fault

Spoiler
[close]

DaddyYautja

DaddyYautja

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Aug 23, 2022, 04:56:15 PMHe's staying completely still and has no idea why he's not been seen yet. 

Who am I talking about there?

Both Dutch and Naru jump to a conclusion when another's readily available, Dutch thinks it is because of the mud when he just got drenched in freezing water and stayed completely still.
[/b]
Naru believes that it's because of the herb when just him staying still might be a viable explanation. As Naru no doubt knows well lots of animals hunt by movement. And then observes when Raphael Adolini moves and screams then he dies.

So what does Naru do? Lays a trap with another moving screaming Fur Trapper with a limb missing and takes the herb that cools body temperature then stands completely still to cover all possible bases.

What does Dutch do? He assumes it is the mud, not movement, and not cold water, and puts it on by a warm fire. Arguably his leap in logic's greater than Naru's by a fairly significant margin. 

She moved away from the path of the Pred that was right behind her. Using you own post she should be dead.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Stepping slightly to the side to be out of his direct path? Not really much of a choice. Still done pretty deftly.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Was the water that Dutch fell into really supposed to be freezing in the middle of a sweltering jungle?

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Perhaps not, that's true, but the mud being the solution's still an assumption irrespective of the temperature of the water.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Skimming through that part of the script, it doesn't seem as if Dutch ever realizes that the mud masking his body heat is why the Predator can't see him.

Darwinsgirl

Darwinsgirl

The average water temperature in Cambodia is from 71° F to 94° F.

Dutch' reference to the Cabinet member being on the wrong side of the border. Made me think of Cambodia during the Viet Nam war.

Cougerboy

Cougerboy

Quote from: St_Eddie on Aug 23, 2022, 11:38:16 AM
Quote from: Cougerboy on Aug 23, 2022, 11:19:32 AM
Quote from: St_Eddie on Aug 23, 2022, 11:16:29 AM
Quote from: Cougerboy on Aug 23, 2022, 11:12:57 AMNo, that's completely wrong. If you want to talk about logical fallacies or leaps of logic in Prey, you have to take the entire Predator franchise into context. Otherwise that creates the (erroneous) impression that Prey is somehow especially bag in logical issues, which it is NOT.

One absolute does not need to take the entire franchise into consideration when discussing the narrative issues of Prey.  This is a sub-forum and thread relating specifically to Prey, not the wider series of movies.  Where were you (and others like you) for Shane Black's The Predator?  How many people were invoking whataboutisms for that movie and saying "You're claiming this specific scene in The Predator or the autism subplot is illogical but the series as a whole is full of illogical moments, so therefore your argument is not valid".  It's hogwash.

I avoided that whole nonsense because that wasn't getting anywhere, was it? Just because I didn't post non-stop doesn't mean I wasn't aware of all those nasty little debates that went on here in the past. 

A sub-forum of Prey does NOT mean you cannot talk about the entire Predator franchise. A judge does not judge a case in isolation but references to similiar cases to weigh a case. Saying its "hogwash" is just avoiding the point.

I never said that one cannot talk about the other predator movies within a sub-forum for Prey.  Please stop putting words in my mouth.  What I said was that you cannot dismiss and invalidate my criticism of a narrative issue within Prey by invoking a whataboutism.  As for "avoiding the point"; I'm sorry, but is that projection on your part?  The only one here who's avoiding the point is you.  It's you who's not willing to address my critique head on.  It's you who's invoking whataboutisms (in case you don't know, whataboutisms are a technique employed in order to deflect from an issue at hand - in this case, a specific flaw within the narrative of Prey).  How does another movie within the franchise having a similar narrative flaw in any way whatsoever excuse a lack of logic within this movie?  A narrative flaw is a narrative flaw.  It's irrelevant whether another movie contained that same flaw.  It's still a flaw.

Where did I say you cannot critique Prey? I am not a "fanboy". Prey is not perfect. So please don't put words into my mouth. But just because you can freely post your views likewise mean I can call you out for it. I said flaws in Prey should be seen in the context of the franchise. Thats a perfectly valid point. But you spin that into some lunatic ravings about whatsboutism.

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Aug 23, 2022, 12:06:57 PMDon't go mate  :'(  We're all well-behaved adults here!!!

I don't get some folks on here. I was making a perfectly legit comment in a calm and rational fashion. I wasn't calling names or hurling insults. Yet some here have to spin my innocous comment out of all context and proportions.

Highland

Highland

Now we wait....

He's not gone, he's just very badly burned

#Austin Powers.

overthere

overthere

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Aug 23, 2022, 04:56:15 PMHe's staying completely still and has no idea why he's not been seen yet. 

Both Dutch and Naru jump to a conclusion when another's readily available, Dutch thinks it is because of the mud when he just got drenched in freezing water and stayed completely still.

Naru believes that it's because of the herb when just him staying still might be a viable explanation. As Naru no doubt knows well lots of animals hunt by movement. And then observes when Raphael Adolini moves and screams then he dies.

So what does Naru do? Lays a trap with another moving screaming Fur Trapper with a limb missing and takes the herb that cools body temperature then stands completely still to cover all possible bases.

What does Dutch do? He assumes it is the mud, not movement, and not cold water, and puts it on by a warm fire. Arguably his leap in logic's greater than Naru's by a fairly significant margin. 

No, Dutch lures the Predator with fire assuming he's nowhere near the fire at the moment and then runs away and hugs a tree, staying completely still. He's never intentionally clearly in front of the Predator, unlike Naru.

Dutch is also aware of the concept of infrared and heat signatures ("heat seakers, Dillon. Pretty sophisticated for a bunch a half-assed mountain boys.")
Naru does not have the appropriate worldview in which to immediately tie body heat with anything visible to make that assumption. It's like if she found a car that won't start and assumed it's because the battery is dead, all while not having a concept of a car or battery.

And for some reason, after she shoots the Predator in the head, the fact she is still under the influence of that plant stops having any impact. Suddenly he has no problem seeing her.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

I referred to the preparation montage in Dutch's case actually, not to the actual fight or when the Predator arrives, I should have clarified that earlier.

In no way does the concept of body heat come into either conclusion the characters draw as I understand it.

It is likely the plant also like the mud stops being effective after enough extertion though.

We know the Predators see differently without the mask, the characters have no such luxury.

SiL

SiL

It's also important to note that Feral follows the blood trail and then looks confused, like he can't see anything at the end of it. She's picking up on his body language, not the fact it doesn't kill Adolini.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

I remember watching that scene in HDR and loving how the blood popped against the dark.

Highland

Highland

Quote from: overthere on Aug 24, 2022, 05:39:29 AM

No, Dutch lures the Predator with fire assuming he's nowhere near the fire at the moment and then runs away and hugs a tree, staying completely still. He's never intentionally clearly in front of the Predator, unlike Naru.

Dutch is also aware of the concept of infrared and heat signatures ("heat seakers, Dillon. Pretty sophisticated for a bunch a half-assed mountain boys.")
Naru does not have the appropriate worldview in which to immediately tie body heat with anything visible to make that assumption. It's like if she found a car that won't start and assumed it's because the battery is dead, all while not having a concept of a car or battery.

And for some reason, after she shoots the Predator in the head, the fact she is still under the influence of that plant stops having any impact. Suddenly he has no problem seeing her.

Getting super technical ( read nerdy) , Dutch does jump down onto the tree log with the Predator at the other end and has to move underneath.

The flower stops working presumably because it no longer has the mask....

Also Naru is covered in ferals green glowing blood. I'd say that's a pretty decent indicator of where she is.

SiL

SiL

Yeah the hot fresh blood is a bit of a giveaway.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed