10 (5.1%)
Hated it! (0/5)
7 (3.5%)

Total Members Voted: 196

Author
Prey Fan Reviews (Read 162,602 times)

PAS Spinelli

PAS Spinelli

I'm sure there are no traits of fantasy in Predator, surely the native character sensing the Predator in the trees and the voodoo boss in the second movie saying the Predator is not off this world due to his "voodoo" magic is completely fine and within normal sci fi

SiL

SiL

Like I said...

DaddyYautja

DaddyYautja

Quote from: PAS Spinelli on Aug 22, 2022, 06:30:56 AMI'm sure there are no traits of fantasy in Predator, surely the native character sensing the Predator in the trees and the voodoo boss in the second movie saying the Predator is not off this world due to his "voodoo" magic is completely fine and within normal sci fi

Billy is a tracker, he spent the whole movie using his tracking skills. There no magic in that. You use your eyes,  nose,  ears, etc, it's all natural. The Predator can hide very good but not perfectly.  Billy's skills were telling him they was something there.

King Willie said the pred was a demon from the spirit world. Having characters believing in superstition and mythologies doesn't make the movie fantasy it just means that the character is religious. 

Quote from: SiL on Aug 22, 2022, 06:44:12 AMLike I said...

If you don't want to talk to me then dont.  Telling other people not to and continuing to do so is not cool.

oduodu

oduodu

Quote from: SiL on Aug 22, 2022, 06:10:11 AMSomeone who says the film doesn't explain how she can fight well with a weapon she made despite the very obvious training montage is not arguing in good faith and cannot be reasoned with.

yes but she has never been in battle               before afaik. doing stuff like that when it matters.  her brother probably has been in battle with other before. he gets it . if this is kind of a nod to ripley becoming a warrior princess? her motivation was to get back to the life she missed while drifting through space.

why does naru want to be a warrior? whats her motivation? dutch and co has been many battles. battle hardened. if naru had accompanied her brother on many battles and fought with them and was pissed of because she never got recognition for also killing men and risking her life while friend family dismissed all of that just because she was a woman then i would have gotten it.

SiL

SiL

She lives surrounded by hunters and warriors and clearly aspires to be like them, why does she need any more motivation than that? It's something that interests her.

She's shown knowing how to fight and to be fast and accurate with the weapon and takes out a bunch of untrained, relatively slow moving guys attacking one at a time.

You're asking a lot more of Naru than other characters. Why is Dutch a battle hardened soldier? Why did he choose that job? If we saw him being raised by a military dad who pressured him into it I'd get it.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Yep, does not feel in good faith to me.

Cougerboy

Cougerboy

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Aug 22, 2022, 11:32:15 AMYep, does not feel in good faith to me.

Sounds like some here want to look for any excuse, however thinly argued and hard to justify, to put down the Nara character. You have to wonder why...

oduodu

oduodu

Quote from: SiL on Aug 22, 2022, 10:50:47 AMShe lives surrounded by hunters and warriors and clearly aspires to be like them, why does she need any more motivation than that? It's something that interests her.

She's shown knowing how to fight and to be fast and accurate with the weapon and takes out a bunch of untrained, relatively slow moving guys attacking one at a time.

You're asking a lot more of Naru than other characters. Why is Dutch a battle hardened soldier? Why did he choose that job? If we saw him being raised by a military dad who pressured him into it I'd get it.

i was asking if she was able to to apply her training and skills in a situation that was life threatening and if she has had previous exposure to such situations. knowing how to wield a weapon is very different from using it when it matters. in previous movies the preds always goes for the best and the most dangerous amongst their breed that was well experienced at their craft.

dutch may have been drafted against his will but eventually decided to stay.

so you say your cool with naru? she is a warrior? she is what a predator would consider at the top of the warrior chain?  worthy of a hunt?

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: Kradan on Aug 21, 2022, 06:11:16 PM
Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Aug 21, 2022, 05:50:53 PMHow in the world does Feral walk without bumping into the environment since it appears that he sees only heated objects ?

You mean ... you mean just like every other Predator before ?

I'm thinking... Cold bodies appear like dead bodies to Feral... Not invisible bodies... But Naru is suddenly somewhat invisible. She should just appear "cold", and dead to the eyes of Feral. Problem is she is standing and cannot be dead. Feral's mask even take into account the "cold" bodies when he arrives in the french camp, which was not a thing in previous movies.

Why doesn't it take into account Naru's cold body then when she's standing still ? I knew there was something wrong with this case, and not in other movies, that's why I pointed it out.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

The fire helps blocks her out, that's why she stands so close to it, and he's distracted by the guy with a firearm.

Kailem

Kailem

Yeah it was something I think only really twigged for me the second time I saw it.

You also get a shot from Feral's POV when he shows up that basically confirms it. The fire is pretty distracting, and like in the original film you can see Naru's outline right there to the left of the trapper if you look for it, but it's blending in to the background no doubt in part because of that fire.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Yeah I love that kind of filmmaking where you notice more the more you revisit it.

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Interesting... Just rewatched that scene and, the fire thing seem plausible indeed.

Cosmic Incubation

Cosmic Incubation

Yeah I feel like it was half n half the fire and the flower.

But also seems like they were trying to play up on the element/theme that the Predator doesn't consider her a threat, played up more with the mini-monologue that she gives during the scene.

Voodoo made a good point in his review about the Predator constantly using her as a way to find better "predators" as it sees her as the "prey". Like the rabbit to the wolf.

I think the scene is definitely playing more on the literal interpretation (it just not seeing her) than the thematic interpretation, but the thematic thing is still partially there for sure.

Kailem

Kailem

I'd not thought about it that way before, but that's actually a pretty good way of looking at it.

First she leads him to the bear (by way of Sarii barking initially), which he kills. Then she leads him to the other Comanche, who he kills. Then she leads him to the trappers, who he kills. Then she effectively leads him to Taabe, who he kills.

Hell, it almost makes me think now that when he's staring at her when she's got the pistol on him if he's not thinking "Yeah, keep it up girl, this is great!" :laugh:

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed