10 (5.1%)
Hated it! (0/5)
7 (3.5%)

Total Members Voted: 196

Author
Prey Fan Reviews (Read 162,648 times)

NecronomIV

NecronomIV

Quote from: Yautja888 on Aug 14, 2022, 08:53:57 PMThey've based the whole story on politics, hence why there are all these plot holes and plot armor.

Politics? What politics? Do you mean the tribal politics in-story? I'm not sure how the whole "you-can't-be-a-hunter" thing leads to plot holes.

Other than that, I don't get any political subtext at all.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: NecronomIV on Aug 14, 2022, 10:31:23 PMOther than that, I don't get any political subtext at all.
because there isn't any

426Buddy

426Buddy

Yeah it's made up outrage. Any excuse to yell woke and it's game on.

Cocolyte

Cocolyte

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Aug 13, 2022, 03:44:04 PMCocolyte's still in that camp somewhat I believe, didn't like Aliens all that much, didn't like Predator 2 or Predators at all. Loved Alien³ and liked Alien and liked Prey.

It's true it's true. I really didn't like Predator 2. I thought it was lame. Aliens is something I can see some merit in, but idk if I enjoy it any more than on the most surface level possible. I think that's my most controversial opinion, and having thought about it for a couple months I could probably write a dissertation criticizing it, but that's a story for another thread. I liked parts of Predators. It's just that it's 2 hours of the same thing, and I got bored pretty quickly of that.

Here's my list in order of favorites, with some spacing to denote big jumps in favor -

Alien³
Alien
Prey

Predator
Alien Resurrection (babby is love <3)

Aliens
Prometheus

Predator 2
Predators
Covenant

Quote from: Omegamorph on Aug 14, 2022, 10:35:42 PM
Quote from: NecronomIV on Aug 14, 2022, 10:31:23 PMOther than that, I don't get any political subtext at all.
because there isn't any
Quote from: 426Buddy on Aug 14, 2022, 11:25:35 PMYeah it's made up outrage. Any excuse to yell woke and it's game on.

To say there's no modern social commentary is a bit disingenuous, as there has been a definite resurgence of girl power in media these last few years, and I'm sure the filmmakers were building on (or at least aware of) that trend. But I think what differentiates Prey from something more inflammatory is the execution. Prey doesn't feel like it's trying to fan the flames of outrage like some buzzfeed listicle. It's more just saying something valid about gender bias and telling a story there.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: 426Buddy on Aug 14, 2022, 11:25:35 PMYeah it's made up outrage. Any excuse to yell woke and it's game on.

Cocolyte

Cocolyte

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Aug 14, 2022, 11:40:13 PM

https://i.imgur.com/7kyFUz2.png

yeah pretty much this tbh lol

The Predator series is actually one of the franchises that I think MOST lends itself to a movie about gender bias to women. It's always had commentaries on masculinity. I mean, like... look at its mouth lol

DaddyYautja

DaddyYautja

Quote from: Cocolyte on Aug 14, 2022, 11:31:47 PMTo say there's no modern social commentary is a bit disingenuous, as there has been a definite resurgence of girl power in media these last few years, and I'm sure the filmmakers were building on (or at least aware of) that trend. But I think what differentiates Prey from something more inflammatory is the execution. Prey doesn't feel like it's trying to fan the flames of outrage like some buzzfeed listicle. It's more just saying something valid about gender bias and telling a story there.

It's a predator movie. Why are we getting a defeating gender roles as the main plot of a predator movie?

Cocolyte

Cocolyte

Quote from: DaddyYautja on Aug 15, 2022, 12:01:11 AM
Quote from: Cocolyte on Aug 14, 2022, 11:31:47 PMTo say there's no modern social commentary is a bit disingenuous, as there has been a definite resurgence of girl power in media these last few years, and I'm sure the filmmakers were building on (or at least aware of) that trend. But I think what differentiates Prey from something more inflammatory is the execution. Prey doesn't feel like it's trying to fan the flames of outrage like some buzzfeed listicle. It's more just saying something valid about gender bias and telling a story there.

It's a predator movie. Why are we getting a defeating gender roles as the main plot of a predator movie?

Predator has had themes of what it means to be a man since the very beginning. Gender roles are like a foundational pillar of the franchise.

Highland

Highland

Quote from: DaddyYautja on Aug 15, 2022, 12:01:11 AM

You realise that what you are talking about exists and has existed in the real world. Quite literally. Thinking that everything (Everything) made these day's is to somehow take down men is just whack. You been hanging out on youtube too long.

As for the "Is it better than" I find this really tough, because Predator 2 is firmly planted in the Predator world, expands the lore, keeps the theme.

I think Prey is more like.....Rogue One. It's a really good movie that's kinda telling the same tales, but off somewhere to the side, so I can't really say it's "Better" than Predator 2. It's just something else that's good.

PredBabe

PredBabe

If I had to do a ranking of all the Alien and Predator movies, it would go something along these lines:

1. Predator/Alien (tied)
2. Aliens
3. Predator 2
4. Alien Covenant
5. Prometheus
6. Alien 3
7. AVP
8. Prey
9. Predators
10. The Predator
11. Alien Resurrection
12. AVPR

NecronomIV

NecronomIV

Quote from: DaddyYautja on Aug 15, 2022, 12:01:11 AMIt's a predator movie. Why are we getting a defeating gender roles as the main plot of a predator movie?

Here's a plot:

Quotea Predator comes to Earth and hunts humans in the same way that humans hunt animals, until one of those humans defeat it.

This can describe at least three Predator films. Nothing about gender in any of that.

Maybe you mean the story?

• The first one is about a soldier who remembers the tactics of the Viet Cong to defeat a technically superior foe;
  • the second is about a detective in a chaotic situation solving the case of a series of murders;
  • the third is about a healer who has something to prove, and recognises something is wrong with the natural environment.

Nothing about any of those says the main character must be of any particular gender.

Any of those plots, or stories (including Prey) could work just fine gender-switched. I'm not saying the specific scripts wouldn't need alteration however.

For example, Prey could work if the main character was a male who was considered weak and not a real hunter, or disabled/injured, or even just too old. And there could be some really interesting  angles to explore there as well. However, I suspect that there would be the same incomprehensible outrage if you cast an actor not seen as an action hero, or hyper-masculine, say Elija Wood.

But I think the writer/director picked the most interesting combination of elements, and gave us something way more refreshing than watching a 2022 Arnold-Actor-Equivalant wrestling with the same special effect as 1987 in the same story.

The fundamental property of a Predator film is that it has a Predator in it, hunting things/people. That is the main plot.

Prey satisfies that 100%.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

@NecronomIV right now be like

Spoiler
[close]

DaddyYautja

DaddyYautja

The plot is the summary of events while the story is the explanation of the events.

The plot of prey is about a woman that has an obsession with gender roles that randomly comes across some tracks and decides to hunt the creator of the tracks.

The predator isn't even part of what's going on because he isn't doing anything that deals with her.

Predator is about a rescue team being called to a mission that turns out to not be a rescue and leads them to the hunting ground of an alien creature.

The predator creates the situation that brings in a second team.

Pred 2 is about a Predator getting in the middle of a cartel war which brings the attention of the police dealing with this war.

This time around the predator steps in and causes an issue to the main character early on.

Again,  in Prey the pred is having his own vacation not causing an issues with anything until the main character pushes her way in because of her gender role issues.

And  I'm not saying the pred wouldn't have caused issues with the humans eventually but in the story presented in this movie the main character caused the initial confrontation. The focus is mostly on her. That's different than being called in for a fake rescue and a cop doing his job.

SiL

SiL

"People doing their job a before running into the Predator " is the story of Predator, Predator 2 and Prey.

Naru isn't obsessed with gender roles, she just wants to be a hunter. Her brother never questions it and when she arrives with the Predator's head at the end nobody loses their mind over a wOmAn bringing home a big trophy.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: DaddyYautja on Aug 15, 2022, 07:31:41 AMThe predator isn't even part of what's going on because he isn't doing anything that deals with her.
I think we're talking about different movies here

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed