[SPOILERS] Feral Predator Design Thread

Started by The Shuriken, Jun 05, 2022, 02:47:11 AM

Are you for the new Predator face or against?

I do like the new face design
30 (19.9%)
I do not like the new face design
74 (49%)
It is ok and I am willing to accept the new face design
47 (31.1%)

Total Members Voted: 150

Author
[SPOILERS] Feral Predator Design Thread (Read 156,904 times)

Local Trouble

Spoiler

And bring back the breathing gases!
[close]

Necronomicon II

Necronomicon II

Quote from: Master on Aug 11, 2022, 05:55:27 PM
Quote from: Necronomicon II on Aug 11, 2022, 04:24:33 PMHe's a Skinwalker. Brutal and thicc. Thicc boi. 😅😍 Why rehash the same design over and over lol The French and the First Nations don't look the same either. 💁�♂️

https://media.npr.org/assets/img/2018/12/17/tommywildcat_sq-cc8f9d6cfcd0a506a45064aaea81edf58d3e1498.jpghttps://previews.123rf.com/images/albinasazheniuk/albinasazheniuk1912/albinasazheniuk191200058/136789075-closeup-portrait-of-serious-30-years-old-caucasian-white-man-on-white-background-in-white-t-shirt-co.jpg
Both Caucasian and Native American has similar shape of face. Differences are automatically noticable but not overexaggerated.

https://pocketdentistry.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/f047-001-9781455753284.jpg
Above you have chart of eyeplacement and Fearl has hypertelorism which, in most cases, is one of symptoms of genetical disorder.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/10/Mary_mac_dougal_1.jpg
This does not look normal (and allot like Fearl at thesame time).

His phenotype obviously adapted to a different hemisphere on a different planet. They're a space faring race. Thus his features are exaggerated as a result. Let's not overthink this. Not to mention the awkward ableist insinuations there. Let's talk about how the hare didn't zig zag because this was a problem for someone I saw... 🤣😂

Pu$$yFace

It made sense and worked well for a more savage, primitive, 300 years prior to Anytime's rendition of a Predator.  IE "Feral"

Evolutionary humans and humans in different areas of our planet look very different. 

Feral is still identifiably a Predator but unique and new with a twist. 

Unlike post Predator 2 wannabe, rubbery, poor man Stan Winston imitations of the Jungle and City Hunter we've seen from AvP to The Predator.

It is a more unique execution of what some of the more modern sequels attempted to be.  Plus it was filmed great, dark, wet and realistic and not rubbery or costume like.  And left me wanting more.  In combination with his portrayal being much more in line with the menacing solo honorable hunter like the creature was from the first two films.

I get not liking it, but it's still identifiably the character, while twisting it just enough to feel new so the audiences isn't desensitized to the character visually since they have so much familiarity with it by this point.

SiL

Saying it's more identifiable as a Predator than post P2 designs is a damn stretch. You could easily pass Feral off as a Predator ripoff.

Local Trouble

Quote from: Pu$$yFace on Aug 12, 2022, 03:06:54 AMIt made sense and worked well for a more savage, primitive, 300 years prior to Anytime's rendition of a Predator.

Why would they be any more "primitive" than they were in the original movie?  They were already a hyper-advanced spacefaring civilization thousands of years before we discovered electricity.

AvP is still canon to this series, right?

Pu$$yFace

Quote from: Local Trouble on Aug 12, 2022, 03:20:54 AM
Quote from: Pu$$yFace on Aug 12, 2022, 03:06:54 AMIt made sense and worked well for a more savage, primitive, 300 years prior to Anytime's rendition of a Predator.

Why would they be any more "primitive" than they were in the original movie?  They were already a hyper-advanced spacefaring civilization thousands of years before we discovered electricity.

AvP is still canon to this series, right?
Advanced comparatively to humans?  By far. 

But not Feral to Anytime is also a considerable leap.

Commanches as amazing savage hunters and warriors in their own right as they maybe, primitive even, can't hold a candle to Dutch's 1987 black ops special forces rescue crew. 

Naru and her brethren have some mean bow and arrow, tracking, axe throwing and hunting skills, yes. 

But they're not M-16s and Mini Guns.

Local Trouble

In AvP, the flashbacks to the distant past showed the Predators using plasmacasters against the Aliens.  They were not a recent technological development.  If Feral arrived with less advanced weaponry than Jungle Hunter, it was only by choice.

Highland

Quote from: Master on Aug 11, 2022, 09:29:09 PM
Quote from: Kradan on Aug 11, 2022, 08:53:52 PMWhy not ? Why isn't that a valid argument ? A lot of movie monsters are humanoid in shape simply because they were played by men in suits and that inevitably leads to some limitations. But now people act like it's some sort of a genius artistic choice when it's merely a restriction of using practical effects

Becasue earlier Predator had eyes placed in certain place of it's face.

Hammerhead sharks have eye's on the end of their faces and also ...fins, tail and teeth.

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Mmm... I knew there was an interview where Trachtenberg said that when it came to designing Feral, that they started off with creating a creature that was NOT a Predator at all and reeled it back from that until we got something which resembled a Predator. And now I found that interview!

"It was about delivering something new, but not changing it too much," the filmmaker explains in the video below. "In the iteration phase with the folks at ADI, who worked on the development of the suit, I really said, 'Let's push it. Let's break it first and see what the design looks like when we change it so it doesn't look like a Predator and then step back from that.'"

Source: https://sffgazette.com/sci-fi/movies/prey-director-dan-trachtenberg-breaks-down-his-approach-to-a1893

Quote from: Local Trouble on Aug 12, 2022, 03:20:54 AMAvP is still canon to this series, right?

Depends on your source... But at this point, they're take'em or leave'em stories.

But according to Andrew Gaska, who looked at the Alien/Predator Bible when he was working on the Alien RPG book, according to Fox, who at the time owned the rights... they were different licenses with their own separate continuities.

Take that as you will.

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: Master on Aug 11, 2022, 09:29:09 PM
Quote from: Kradan on Aug 11, 2022, 08:53:52 PMWhy not ? Why isn't that a valid argument ? A lot of movie monsters are humanoid in shape simply because they were played by men in suits and that inevitably leads to some limitations. But now people act like it's some sort of a genius artistic choice when it's merely a restriction of using practical effects

Because earlier Predator had eyes placed in certain place of it's face.

Earlier Predators' (namely JH, CH and Scar, Wolf had animatronics eyes, not sure about the rest)' eyes' were literally performers' eyes wearing lenses. As I understand, in Feral's case performer's head was inside costume's neck anyway so they decided to go a little crazier with eyes' placement

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Aug 12, 2022, 04:59:32 AMMmm... I knew there was an interview where Trachtenberg said that when it came to designing Feral, that they started off with creating a creature that was NOT a Predator at all and reeled it back from that until we got something which resembled a Predator. And now I found that interview!

"It was about delivering something new, but not changing it too much," the filmmaker explains in the video below. "In the iteration phase with the folks at ADI, who worked on the development of the suit, I really said, 'Let's push it. Let's break it first and see what the design looks like when we change it so it doesn't look like a Predator and then step back from that.'"

Source: https://sffgazette.com/sci-fi/movies/prey-director-dan-trachtenberg-breaks-down-his-approach-to-a1893

He was not a handsome Predator, but there was a je ne sais quoi in his hunting style and behavior. I just love it. 8)

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Aug 12, 2022, 04:59:32 AM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Aug 12, 2022, 03:20:54 AMAvP is still canon to this series, right?

Depends on your source... But at this point, they're take'em or leave'em stories.

But according to Andrew Gaska, who looked at the Alien/Predator Bible when he was working on the Alien RPG book, according to Fox, who at the time owned the rights... they were different licenses with their own separate continuities.

Take that as you will.

The way Feral spent his time hunting down predatory animals and then finally turning his attention to humans makes me think this was actually the first (or one of the first) time a Predator had come to Earth.

That can be recontextualized though. :-X

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Aug 12, 2022, 04:59:32 AMBut according to Andrew Gaska, who looked at the Alien/Predator Bible when he was working on the Alien RPG book, according to Fox, who at the time owned the rights... they were different licenses with their own separate continuities.

Just an FYI but he also wrote the Predator bible. I assisted with it as well.

Quote from: Local Trouble on Aug 12, 2022, 03:30:22 AMIn AvP, the flashbacks to the distant past showed the Predators using plasmacasters against the Aliens.  They were not a recent technological development.  If Feral arrived with less advanced weaponry than Jungle Hunter, it was only by choice.

This is what I'm thinking too. Feral scales up the weaponry he's using based on what he's facing. He sees the Comanche with spears and bows and arrows, the spear/club and speargun comes out. He meets the French with muskets, the bombs come out.

I don't think the talk of being primitive weaponry is in terms of actual development, but more to match what he's facing.

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 12, 2022, 08:28:54 AM
Quote from: RakaiThwei on Aug 12, 2022, 04:59:32 AMBut according to Andrew Gaska, who looked at the Alien/Predator Bible when he was working on the Alien RPG book, according to Fox, who at the time owned the rights... they were different licenses with their own separate continuities.

Just an FYI but he also wrote the Predator bible. I assisted with it as well.

Quote from: Local Trouble on Aug 12, 2022, 03:30:22 AMIn AvP, the flashbacks to the distant past showed the Predators using plasmacasters against the Aliens.  They were not a recent technological development.  If Feral arrived with less advanced weaponry than Jungle Hunter, it was only by choice.

This is what I'm thinking too. Feral scales up the weaponry he's using based on what he's facing. He sees the Comanche with spears and bows and arrows, the spear/club and speargun comes out. He meets the French with muskets, the bombs come out.

I don't think the talk of being primitive weaponry is in terms of actual development, but more to match what he's facing.

If you're playing vidya and you're up against the absolute goon enemies, you use the pistol and shotgun. If some mini-bosses show up, you swap out to the rocket launcher or BFG.

Pu$$yFace

Pu$$yFace

Quote from: SiL on Aug 12, 2022, 03:09:03 AMSaying it's more identifiable as a Predator than post P2 designs is a damn stretch. You could easily pass Feral off as a Predator ripoff.

Reading comprehension, my guy, who said MORE identifiable?

I said Feral's look and execution was more unique and creative than ...

The pale imitations of the first two Stan Winston original brilliant designs and executions we have got in AvP, AvPR, Predators and The Predator

But I was saying, and addressing the people who didn't like it, the hyperbole portion of their comments, that it's still not identifiably a predator.  Which it clearly is.  It's not nearly that far of a departure.

BouMa95

Can someone tell me whats ging on with this Predator bible ? I read it last time in another comment section but cant find anything 🧐

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed