10 (5.1%)
Hated it! (0/5)
7 (3.5%)

Total Members Voted: 196

Author
Prey Fan Reviews (Read 155,762 times)

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: St_Eddie on Aug 10, 2022, 02:16:22 AMIt's not particularly insightful to say "I loved that scene" or "this element of the film was really good" and there's only so much discussion which can be wrung out of two people talking and agreeing about how much they both loved a film.  Whereas, discussing which elements of a film didn't work opens the door to really interesting discussion and debate, at least in my experience.

This 100 %

SiL

SiL

Two people going on about a scene they didn't like in agreeance is equally masturbatory and uninformative.

Someone who likes a work of art vs someone who doesn't is where you get interesting discussions about the art.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Not trying to be passive aggro or offensive just being honest. Insightful to know you prefer to focus on things you don't like.

I disagree that you have to criticise or focus on the negatives of a film in order to have interesting discussion. I've always been a person who prefers to discuss the things that I enjoy rather than not myself.

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: SiL on Aug 10, 2022, 07:21:05 AMTwo people going on about a scene they didn't like in agreeance is equally masturbatory and uninformative.

It's not about "That was bad, right ? - Sure was !", it's about "What could've been done better ?"

Highland

Highland

It's much more interesting if you like the product imo. Discussing Ferals weapons or possible history is cool. Possible sequels.

Figuring out if Reys parents are.....don't care  :laugh:

Speaking of sequels I read an article today the Prey is the most watched thing on Hulu/Star - ever. After 3 days.... :o  8)

SiL

SiL

A mix of both. People discussing things they don't like and considering alternatives, and people discussing things they do like and how they add to the repertoire going forward.

Just one or the other is circular and limiting.

Hive Tyrant

Hive Tyrant

Quote from: 426Buddy on Aug 09, 2022, 02:28:33 PMI dunno, general audiences and critics seem to be enjoying it a lot.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/prey_2022

Don't get me wrong, this is a good film, but I know plenty of people like my mother and my sister who I can't recommend it to. It doesn't rise above the tropes and weaknesses of the genre in ways that e.g. The Dark Knight does for superhero films. So it's good, but it's not *amazingly* good. 

Prez

Prez

I think it was Dave Gogel (Xenomorphing) who mentioned Ferals' helmet is very similar to the River Ghost skull.

Fiker

Fiker

Hi, i am more of an Alien fan then Predator but yeah. This is a very solid movie. Good and simple script. Everything makes sense plus great visuals and good actors. So it still can happen. A very good new Predator movie. I am super happy with that. Maybe it can also happen to Alien? Even Terminator?

St_Eddie

St_Eddie

Quote from: Kradan on Aug 10, 2022, 08:00:13 AM
Quote from: SiL on Aug 10, 2022, 07:21:05 AMTwo people going on about a scene they didn't like in agreeance is equally masturbatory and uninformative.

It's not about "That was bad, right ? - Sure was !", it's about "What could've been done better ?"

Preciously.  Conversely, talking about the positives when critiquing a film holds limited potential for leading to further debate and discussion.  Again; there's not much more one can say that's beyond "I really liked this scene".  It's kinda like, well, where do you go from there?  Whereas discussing the critical aspects of the film opens the door to all sorts of interesting discussion avenues, including the question of what the filmmakers could have done differently.

Quote from: Highland on Aug 10, 2022, 08:01:45 AMIt's much more interesting if you like the product imo. Discussing Ferals weapons or possible history is cool. Possible sequels.

Oh, absolutely.  This is a separate topic of discussion to film critique though.  This is more within the realm of fan theorising.

Quote from: SiL on Aug 10, 2022, 08:19:40 AMA mix of both. People discussing things they don't like and considering alternatives, and people discussing things they do like and how they add to the repertoire going forward.

Just one or the other is circular and limiting.

As I said earlier, I always start a critique of a film with the aspects which I did like, before moving on to my criticisms.  Some kind of balance is important.  I'm simply saying that on the whole I think that critical discussions bear far more interesting fruit than talking about which parts of a film one enjoyed.  It's all horses for courses though.  I only brought the topic up because I felt the need to defend myself from the accusation of being an overly negative person.

Someone who likes a work of art vs someone who doesn't is where you get interesting discussions about the art.

This is scenario is great when you have two people free of ego discussing a film but sadly, that's rarely the case and such scenarios usually quickly devolve into people flinging accusations and insults at one another for not sharing their own tastes.

Lost_Hunter

Lost_Hunter

Let's spread this kinda vibe to Alien and Terminator, I would be down for that! Saw Prey Monday night and thought it was great. The praise is well deserved. It needed to be a solid Native American movie and a good Predator movie and it succeeded in both. Great tone and action, really dug how brutal/ agile the Predator was. Well written, directed and acted. The design of the Feral was great....... Except for that face.... Juuuuuuuuuuust.

Final fight was a let down, Feral went down too easy or convenient, one of the two. Didn't hurt my appreciation of the film though. The flintlock should not have been in this movie. At all.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

PREY

live-action anime with badass comanche warrior vs ugly monster and in the meantime idiots are made fun of

absolutely bonkers predator

perhaps lacking in the late 80s satire-horror of the originals but that is to be expected

I want to watch it again and again

I am so happy this got made

judge death

judge death

I think this is best place to ask, no other thread seem to fit:
When Naru and the others are out and chasing the feline, they say its a lion but lions only exist in africa, or is this a case of mandela effect and there are lions in america which I recall they shouldnt? Shouldnt it be a puma they were chasing?

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: judge death on Aug 10, 2022, 09:36:05 PMI think this is best place to ask, no other thread seem to fit:
When Naru and the others are out and chasing the feline, they say its a lion but lions only exist in africa, or is this a case of mandela effect and there are lions in america which I recall they shouldnt? Shouldnt it be a puma they were chasing?
Mountain Lion

xShadowFoxX

xShadowFoxX

Quote from: Omegamorph on Aug 10, 2022, 09:41:30 PM
Quote from: judge death on Aug 10, 2022, 09:36:05 PMI think this is best place to ask, no other thread seem to fit:
Mountain Lion
I was gonna say, mountain lions totally exist in North America.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed