10 (5.1%)
Hated it! (0/5)
7 (3.5%)

Total Members Voted: 196

Author
Prey Fan Reviews (Read 162,699 times)

judge death

judge death

About predators tech: I didnt see this predators weapons as more high tech or missing stuff, why he didnt have a plasma caster is more due to his style, or money or that he isnt a big hunter and earned the plasma caster yet or something similair. They all dont have to use exactly same weapon setup. :P

But to the movies and games and lore we know they have been here for thousands of years and the tech we saw in Prey and later movies, they have had for thousands of years already, cloak, plasma caster, laser sight, spaceships, disks, wristblades etc. I would argue rather that predators technology is standing still, they arent evolving new technology that makes previous tech obsolete, its rather stigmated a long time ago.
Hence a theory of mine is that they didnt develop their tech but they conquered it or got it from different alien species.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Still absolutely love it, on rewatch the design does not even bother me as much either.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Quote from: Lionhart on Aug 09, 2022, 06:22:05 PMGuys, I do respect your opinions but I don't f**king understand how this movie could be great? The predator was so damn stupid in this movie its laughable. So many mistakes made in this movie. I'm baffled to see its high scores on imdb. Jessie Ventura must have been high when he said it's an amazing movie 😂🤣😂🤣😂

You respect our opinions but then proceed to say you would have to be high to think this movie is great?  ::)

Don't forget Bill Duke, he thought it was amazing.

https://twitter.com/RealBillDuke/status/1556831239973154816?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1556831239973154816%7Ctwgr%5E58fa0f9fbdc0a5367aead925b8ed482a34fc37a4%7Ctwcon%5Es1_c10&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fd-23271108281356965425.ampproject.net%2F2207221643000%2Fframe.html

Lionhart

Lionhart

Quote from: 426Buddy on Aug 09, 2022, 07:37:41 PM
Quote from: Lionhart on Aug 09, 2022, 06:22:05 PMGuys, I do respect your opinions but I don't f**king understand how this movie could be great? The predator was so damn stupid in this movie its laughable. So many mistakes made in this movie. I'm baffled to see its high scores on imdb. Jessie Ventura must have been high when he said it's an amazing movie 😂🤣😂🤣😂

You respect our opinions but then proceed to say you would have to be high to think this movie is great?  ::)

Don't forget Bill Duke, he thought it was amazing.

https://twitter.com/RealBillDuke/status/1556831239973154816?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1556831239973154816%7Ctwgr%5E58fa0f9fbdc0a5367aead925b8ed482a34fc37a4%7Ctwcon%5Es1_c10&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fd-23271108281356965425.ampproject.net%2F2207221643000%2Fframe.html

To each their own, all opinion counts mate. Just don't see how it ranks so high that's all.

predator88

predator88

Watched it again in Comanche language, gave it a more authentic feel and the only version I would want to watch from now on. Again listing the positives and negatives:

SPOILERS

PROS:
- Beautifully shot, definitely the film's strongest point.
- Music was not a retread of the original theme but something new and refreshing which was a nice surprise
- Midhunter is definitely not my favorite protagonist in a predator film but she did a serviceable job, learning from her surroundings, constantly trying to improve herself and become a better warrior not just hunter. The other character worth mentioning is Taabe who was actually the best character and deserved to be the main one. The other characters were disposable.
- Some nice action scenes, none were the predator series highlight but overall the bear fight, wolf chase, french trapper massacre and Taabe vs Feral were good scenes.
- Feral had some nice presence, he is dumb as a rock but at least he is determined.

CONS:
- Over-reliance on CGI which was crap in a lot of scenes, the mountain lion was straight out of 2002, just terrible. The bear looked ok in some scenes, very fake in others. Some fake CGI blood also like when  Feral kills Naru's friend in the tall grass or when the bear's blood is spilled over him. In some cases the CGI was great like in the Wolf chasing the rabbit scene but this is an exception
- The end fight was kinda meh, Naru suddenly becoming a ninja and jumping all over Feral's back, slicing him all over, making him look like a chump. She seemed too over skilled for me. Also why did Feral spare her life every chance he got? It's said he didn't see her as a threat but that was no reason for him to ignore her like several times.
- Feral was basically a tank not interested in hunting that much, also he wasn't that smart getting tricked by his own equipment twice. This guy will get massacred by Jungle hunter.
- The movie tends to cut away from the violence numerous times, don't know why. The camera pulls away from the more gory bits and cuts some parts that didn't need to be cut. No idea why they chose to go this way but the movie was definitely more tame than I hoped. Only Predators is more tame in the franchise.

Overall a solid 7/10. Third best behind the first two (P2 will probably remain the best sequel forever) but above Predators and miles ahead of the predator which was a travesty apart from some nice violence here and there.

Prez

Prez

Personally don't see the whole Feral was stupid angle. Rather to me he was arrogant and over confident. Took a helluva beating but still continued the hunt. Underestimated his opponent.

Also not sure how the whole he forgot how his spear gun worked goes. Obvious to me he was oblivious to what Naru had set up as a trap (as others rightly pointed out he'd lost an arm, been shot in the back of the head, multiple axe wounds, etc).

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

I'm not one for numerical ratings, usually, but I've now watched this thing three times (twice in English and once with the Comanche dub) and I just really, really dig it. Selected the 4/5 option on the poll.

PredBabe

PredBabe

Quote from: predator88 on Aug 09, 2022, 09:44:01 PMMidhunter is definitely not my favorite protagonist in a predator film but she did a serviceable job, learning from her surroundings, constantly trying to improve herself and become a better warrior not just hunter. The other character worth mentioning is Taabe who was actually the best character and deserved to be the main one. The other characters were disposable.

As time goes on, I think this is one of my bigger issues with the movie. Naru's coming-of-age story was cheapened, for me, because of how they chose to convey her journey of becoming an efficient hunter through lazily writing all her male counterparts as overly exaggerated d-bags. Apart from her brother, most of her interactions with other characters were demeaning. 
It came at the cost of creating too many throwaway characters, that no one would miss, which aided in certain scenes feeling more like a Friday the 13th slasher for me.

Prey is clearly a vast improvement from The Predator but the lines are blurred on how I compare it to Predators.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Prey doesn't contain anything as groan inducing as Lawrence Fishburns character. I like Predators and all but...

St_Eddie

St_Eddie

Quote from: 426Buddy on Aug 10, 2022, 12:48:52 AMPrey doesn't contain anything as groan inducing as Lawrence Fishburns character. I like Peedators and all but...

This is true but at least Laurence Fishburne's cringe inducing performance was entertainingly awful, much like watching Anakin Skywalker harp on about how much he hates sand in Attack of the Clones.  Most of the characters in Prey were dull, vapid, underwritten nobodies and little more than cheap, disposable cannon fodder.  I'll take an entertainingly badly written and performed character over a bunch of hollow, personality vacuum nothings any day of the week.  I'd sooner be entertained, even if for the wrong reasons, than bored.

426Buddy

426Buddy

If that's how you took the characters and the film overall then not much for me to add here other than I disagree. But no offense, I have found you to be  overly negative in general and not just regarding this film so its kinda expected.

Honestly I didn't find any if this film boring but what can I say that would hold any weight?

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 08, 2022, 08:38:25 AM
Quote from: 426Buddy on Aug 08, 2022, 12:38:13 AMWhere is the AvP Galaxy review? :P

I'm writing it. :)

QuoteI can't wait for the podcast discussing this film.

Recording tonight. :)

QuoteI know Voodoo isn't around the forum anymore but if you guys could bring him in that would be awesome.

Wont be happening, but if you check his Twitter he hated it.

Can't wait for the podcast especially, so excited.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: St_Eddie on Aug 10, 2022, 12:57:43 AM
Quote from: 426Buddy on Aug 10, 2022, 12:48:52 AMPrey doesn't contain anything as groan inducing as Lawrence Fishburns character. I like Peedators and all but...

This is true but at least Laurence Fishburne's cringe inducing performance was entertainingly awful, much like watching Anakin Skywalker harp on about how much he hates sand in Attack of the Clones.  Most of the characters in Prey were dull, vapid, underwritten nobodies and little more than cheap, disposable cannon fodder.  I'll take an entertainingly badly written and performed character over a bunch of hollow, personality vacuum nothings any day of the week.  I'd sooner be entertained, even if for the wrong reasons, than bored.

How did it compare to the Obi-Wan Kenobi show?

St_Eddie

St_Eddie

Quote from: 426Buddy on Aug 10, 2022, 01:36:38 AMBut no offense, I have found you to be  overly negative in general and not just regarding this film so its kinda expected.

Well, that is kind of an offensive (and rather passive aggressive) thing to say. "Oh, your opinions don't count because you clearly don't like anything and are just a negative person in general."  First of all; that's not true. I'm a cinephile who adores more films than I could possibly ever begin to list.  I just don't generally wax lyrical about the films I love or about the aspects of films I enjoyed because I don't generally see the worth in doing so.  It's not particularly insightful to say "I loved that scene" or "this element of the film was really good" and there's only so much discussion which can be wrung out of two people talking and agreeing about how much they both loved a film.  Whereas, discussing which elements of a film didn't work opens the door to really interesting discussion and debate, at least in my experience.

When discussing a film, I'll typically very briefly cover the elements which I enjoyed and then jump into the meaty discussion of which parts didn't work for me because that's what I find interesting and revealing about a film and it invites discussion and debate with other people who've also seen the film.  That's just how my mind works and how I like to approach film critique in general.  That doesn't make me a negative person or someone who hates everything.  Perhaps you ought to see my collection of over 1000 DVDs and Blu-Rays if you think that I don't like films.  I live and breathe for the cinematic arts.  I just have a different approach to discussing and critiquing films than yourself, that's all.

Quote from: 426Buddy on Aug 10, 2022, 01:36:38 AMHonestly I didn't find any if this film boring but what can I say that would hold any weight?

Why would you ever need to convince me of anything?  You liked the movie.  Good for you.  I never tried to tell you that you're wrong for doing so or that you need to convince me as to why you think it's a good movie.

Highland

Highland

I don't think the Force Awakens vs Prey comparison is fair.

Star Wars literally has a limitless ceiling, but they chose to just repeat the same old beats. My first thoughts after TFA was....yeah that was ok but it's just a copy.

Predator really only has the hunt vs humans element and when we all walked out of The Predator I think we understood why  :laugh:

The only thing that should change in Predator movies is the setting and the humans.

One thing I think we could repeat again is the detective element found in P2. I really enjoy P2 for that cop/detective angle.

Ive also said many times a team of two Predators ( working together) would be an outstanding change. Perhaps we don't even know there's two, that's the twist.

Prez

Prez

Ok let's talk about the positives (I'll put them in spoiler tags)

Spoiler
That bear fight. Yes the CGI at times wasn't up to something akin to Weta standard but I loved the fact this was probably the first true (IMO) scene where I got to really appreciate how absolutely monstrous a Predator's strength is (and no fighting a Xenomorph in AVP doesn't count).

The fight with the French trappers had some great moments. I liked some of the new weaponary too + using his shield as a bladed weapon was cool.

I actually liked how the Predator got tagged in a few of his battles - with the wolf, bear and against Naru's fellow tribe. It showed a hunter who wasn't bullet proof.

The chase through the high grass had some stellar imagery going on. That top down birds eye view where you see the grass parting and also just how much faster Feral was too - ace.
[close]

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed