[SPOILERS] Feral Predator Design Thread

Started by The Shuriken, Jun 05, 2022, 02:47:11 AM

Are you for the new Predator face or against?

I do like the new face design
30 (19.9%)
I do not like the new face design
74 (49%)
It is ok and I am willing to accept the new face design
47 (31.1%)

Total Members Voted: 150

Author
[SPOILERS] Feral Predator Design Thread (Read 156,765 times)

SiL

Quote from: The Shuriken on Aug 09, 2022, 03:00:00 AM....no? At what point did it look like Jungle Hunter was having a hard time seeing Dutch while fist fighting him? He completely dominated Dutch without his mask. He definitely wasn't impaired.
The part where he lifts the mask and everything is just an indistinct, red blur.

He could tell where Dutch was and beat him up, but Arnold Schwarzenegger is 140kg of Austrian beef. Kind of hard to miss when he's right in front of you. His eyesight was anything but "fine", but he made do.

Local Trouble

Didn't he see the sharp sticks that were attached to the log?

SiL

When they were right in front of his face, yes.

The Shuriken

The Shuriken

Quote from: SiL on Aug 09, 2022, 03:06:17 AM
Quote from: The Shuriken on Aug 09, 2022, 03:00:00 AM....no? At what point did it look like Jungle Hunter was having a hard time seeing Dutch while fist fighting him? He completely dominated Dutch without his mask. He definitely wasn't impaired.
The part where he lifts the mask and everything is just an indistinct, red blur.

He could tell where Dutch was and beat him up, but Arnold Schwarzenegger is 140kg of Austrian beef. Kind of hard to miss when he's right in front of you. His eyesight was anything but "fine", but he made do.

Ok I guess what I was getting at is, even though it clearly looks like they don't see as well without the mask, it's not reflected in the following scenes.

Jungle Hunter takes off the mask, and proceeds to mercilessly obliterate Dutch in hand to hand combat, therein not appearing to be disadvantaged without the tech.

Local Trouble

Quote from: SiL on Aug 09, 2022, 03:26:02 AMWhen they were right in front of his face, yes.

Watching that scene again, it also looks like he didn't notice them until he actually touched them, then he felt them some more and quickly figured out it was one of Dutch's traps.  He may not have actually seen them at all.

oldpainless

Quote from: demoncarnotaur on Aug 08, 2022, 08:38:39 PMI dunno, this design still is NOT working for me -- it's just too far removed.

https://i.imgur.com/mjruZqC.jpeg
that design
Quote from: demoncarnotaur on Aug 08, 2022, 08:38:39 PMI dunno, this design still is NOT working for me -- it's just too far removed.

that face design is absolute garbage, not even good for a B movie made 30 years ago, really offensive for a predator fan

Local Trouble

I actually feel cheated that Voodoo Magic left before Prey was released.  These threads would have been historic.

Hadji Murad

Quote from: The Shuriken on Aug 09, 2022, 01:46:04 AMJungle Hunter saw perfectly fine without his mask against Dutch. Not a disadvantage at all to him.

Its eyesight was terrible. When it removes its mask everything becomes a hot red blur, save for Dutch who shows up as distinct only when close. It seems as if the creature sees in heat, and the mask acts to filter out heat coming from non-human/animal sources (i.e. ambient heat in the jungle or foliage). This would explain why the mud fools the mask. It's not that his temperature drops, it's that the mask filters him out as foliage/land and renders him as blue. 

That's how it always made sense to me. But Predator 2 and Prey then went in on the temperature thing so who knows. Hell Predator 2 even had the "invisible" suited up agents lugging round tech, which Predator 1 established the creature at being extremely capable of detecting (sneaking in without triggering a single tripwire). But yeah, apparently Pussyface didn't watch the spot tech Ted Talk.

It seems to have good hearing across the board though. Based on its eyesight it's not unreasonable to assume Predators navigate using other senses. Because its eyesight kinda blows.

Kradan

Quote from: Local Trouble on Aug 09, 2022, 04:03:26 AMI actually feel cheated that Voodoo Magic left before Prey was released.  These threads would have been historic.

You should've taken on his mantle. I honestly don't think there's anyone more suited for it

Local Trouble

I've been thinking about putting his banner in my sig, to be honest.

Mike’s Monsters

Quote from: Local Trouble on Aug 09, 2022, 04:03:26 AMI actually feel cheated that Voodoo Magic left before Prey was released.  These threads would have been historic.

He's got his own site and twitter/Instagram if you really want to hear his thoughts.

While he was very vocal, he wasn't always correct, but I'm sure most of us are aligned with him in not loving the face.

goose_3387

Quote from: oldpainless on Aug 09, 2022, 04:01:56 AM

that design

that face design is absolute garbage, not even good for a B movie made 30 years ago, really offensive for a predator fan

There's no way around it - it looks bad.

The film has rightfully been receiving a lot of praise and it's fully deserved. I really like it.

It's perfectly OK to like the film but still have negatives views about the face. It would be refreshing if someone (constructively) called out the guys who made the film and get an explanation.

Mike’s Monsters

Quote from: goose_3387 on Aug 09, 2022, 06:29:16 AMThere's no way around it - it looks bad.

The film has rightfully been receiving a lot of praise and it's fully deserved. I really like it.

It's perfectly OK to like the film but still have negatives views about the face. It would be refreshing if someone (constructively) called out the guys who made the film and get an explanation.

I don't think they need any calling out. It's clear that Dan wanted something a little different from interviews. He asked them to push the design, and they did. It wouldn't solely fall the the FX guys. I don't think there's any explanation to be had that we haven't already heard in interviews. They wanted to break the design and bring it back to familiar. They broke it down a lot, but clearly did not have pull it back for enough people.

Being a lifelong Godzilla fan may have braced me for alternate Predator designs with how many suits and iterations the Big G has gone through in his almost 70 years. Sone good, some bad, some amazing, some horrible. Some too far removed, some right on point. I can admit there are many Godzilla suits I don't like, and some in movies I love. It all depends on the direction. Most of how you get to a final design comes down to direction from the director and what they want.

Master

The way I see it, if you want to have the movie about Predator, you don't replace it with other creature.

Mike’s Monsters

Good there was a Predator in Prey then! Still not able to align or agree with those who say it didn't feel very Predator-like. Even after explanations. Yeah, the design wasn't close to the original, but it still reads Predator to me, though I don't love it's face. Can't say I'd be able to call it anything else. I can see those not wanting to accept because it's not what they want, but for me, this character and even his drastic design change was a Predator from start to finish.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed