[SPOILERS] Feral Predator Design Thread

Started by The Shuriken, Jun 05, 2022, 02:47:11 AM

Are you for the new Predator face or against?

I do like the new face design
30 (19.9%)
I do not like the new face design
74 (49%)
It is ok and I am willing to accept the new face design
47 (31.1%)

Total Members Voted: 150

Author
[SPOILERS] Feral Predator Design Thread (Read 156,684 times)

judge death

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Aug 06, 2022, 07:13:16 AM
Quote from: goose_3387 on Aug 06, 2022, 06:12:06 AM
Quote from: SiL on Aug 06, 2022, 06:09:49 AMWe don't even need to get to disrespect, it's just bizarre that you'd bother to tell a film in this franchise but so clearly think that the central antagonist wasn't good enough for you.

Yeah. It keeps happening though. Will we ever see a true Predator again?  :-\

It reminds me of how nostalgic I feel to see Big Chap's design in a new Alien movie, which never happens.
IF I see big chap on the big screen again I will pay to see it 10 times in the cinema, and cheer every time. :D

Kradan

Careful what you wish for ...

Mike’s Monsters

We almost got a Big Chap-esque xeno in Blomkamp's film, even got to photograph the ADI maquette and it looked great. But the film on the other hand, sounded like a hot mess. Probably good we didn't get it.

SiL

It had arms growing out of its chest.

Give me actual big chap.

judge death

Quote from: SiL on Aug 06, 2022, 07:41:09 AMGive me actual big chap.
This.

One thing I liked about avpr was to see the ridge head/warrior type alien back. :D

[cancerblack]

Quote from: judge death on Aug 06, 2022, 07:42:45 AM
Quote from: SiL on Aug 06, 2022, 07:41:09 AMGive me actual big chap.
This.

One thing I liked about avpr was to see the ridge head/warrior type alien back. :D

They were a fleshy mess though tbh, even though I like aspects of the heads.

judge death

Yep, wasnt the same which is a shame, but the ridge head design at least was a nice thing to a otherwise mediocer movie.

olapaulakoski

I've always assumed the change in predators face and mouth design came from Paul W.S Anderson's idea of humanising scar making his chin bigger and moving out the mandibles and for some reason maybe they the highest budget for making the animatronic skeleton and they just kept making new molds skins to put on top of scar predators animatronics over the years.

The flappy skin might be because of the latex getting soft, maybe stan Winston used a different type of latex on classic predator. Might be materials which today are no longer produced also because of environmental reasons, or they just shot the scenes for the original 1987 predator with the face fresh baked from the oven. My opinion is they should use some totally different material on the skin that connects the upper and lover mandible like rubber so it can expand and retract naturally and use latex for the rest of the face somehow.

SiL

In the original film the mouth doesn't open as wide, so the latex doesn't need to stretch as much. From AvP onwards they wanted really wide open mandibles so either you  stretch the material or need extra to accommodate.

funk_master_chunk

Posted in the reviews thread - but the biggest issue with the face I have is how divisive it's going to be.

I think it's more in-line with the original concepts; but some people aren't going to be happy that he doesn't look like JH/CH.

It's now canon that Greyback gets the pistol somehow; so I like the idea that there are variations amongst the species. I don't like things from the other films like upgrading or stem cell soup etc. But the idea that they will have different features isn't at all dissimilar from every species around.

El Diablo

El Diablo

Spoiler
I spoke with someone who worked on the film and they mentioned that there were slight cracks designed in the mask that were originally going to glow from within like burning embers. This was achieved through a practical effect using LED light strips but the look was ultimately discarded by the director. I personally like the idea of this bone faceplate pulsing with energy from the tech it houses underneath. They did also mention there was more detail to Feral's equipment that didn't make it into the movie, like his medpack (which would light up and was a functional practical effect). If this ever gets a Blu-Ray release I would love to see more of the work that went into creating him. The folks at ADI did a bang-up job.
[close]

skhellter

Quote from: funk_master_chunk on Aug 06, 2022, 08:30:38 AMthe idea that they will have different features isn't at all dissimilar from every species around.

exactly.

If peeps from this forum were aliens and had just landed on earth, most wouldn't believe that Peter Dinklage is human.  :'(  :laugh:

SiL

Peter Dinklage still has fairly normal facial features. We aren't talking height and build here.

BigDaddyJohn

I'm not sure where I stand yet regarding the face. Didn't love it, didn't hate it. Need to watch it again.

Highland

I think it's probably on par with Predators. It's not as good as P1/P2 or Wolf, but I think I prefer it to The Predators rubber.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed