Hated it! (0/5)
7 (3.5%)

Total Members Voted: 196

Author
Prey Fan Reviews (Read 162,599 times)

Doomofman

Doomofman

Spoiler
Putting this in spoilers to just be ultra safe, but I wonder if.. IF we ever get a Prey sequel will the pistol have a similar role/appearance. Would be a fun way to tie together a kinda anthology if it ended up happening
[close]

xShadowFoxX

xShadowFoxX

Quote from: Doomofman on Aug 05, 2022, 01:21:56 PM
Spoiler
Putting this in spoilers to just be ultra safe, but I wonder if.. IF we ever get a Prey sequel will the pistol have a similar role/appearance. Would be a fun way to tie together a kinda anthology if it ended up happening
[close]

Like a sort of passing of the torch?

Feral_PRED

Feral_PRED

Man that was a beautiful movie!

The cinematography was excellent. I loved how they showcased so much of Canada's amazing scenery.

The score was excellent! Sarah Schachner really created an original and fresh score without relying on Silvestri's themes. I feel like I could listen to it all day.

Amber Midthunder as Naru knocked it out of the park. Her character's struggles felt so relatable and her evolution into a true warrior was believable to me.

Feral was a beast. He was both brutal and menacing. I'd rank Dane DiLiegro as one of the best Predator performer after Kevin Peter Hall. I'm still on the fence about Feral's face but I'm sure it could eventually grow on me after a couple rewatchs. I initialy had the same feeling with Mr. Black in Predators.

While I loved Naru as a protagonist, I don't necessarily need a direct sequel (even with that end credit tease). I think Predator works better as an anthology.

Thank you Dan Trachtenberg for delivering a solid Predator film.

8.5/10

My ranking:

Predator
Predator 2
Prey/Predators (it's a tie for now)
The Predator

Naska

Naska

Movie deserves a round of applause! Dan did a great job!
Bravo!

The Ultimate Predator

The Ultimate Predator

Gave this 4/5. Really good, more enjoyable than I expected. I definitely will be watching again soon. I had mild concerns the gender norms thing would be over-done but I think it was mostly fairly presented. Great visuals, some fun fight scenes. I think the acting was decent enough, some of the secondary Commanche characters were acted a bit poorly, but the main characters were well portrayed. Wasn't as keen on the Predators' face, and was it CGI at times? Thought the helmet was awesome though. I thought the settlers' characters were simplistic at times, which annoyed me, but like with the acting, the main characters were well developed. Its bloody good to see the franchise return to form after the abomination of The Predator.

My one real frustration with the film is exactly the same as Corporal Hicks, definitely could have been better written;

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 26, 2022, 10:56:08 PM
Quote from: Doomofman on Jul 26, 2022, 10:49:38 PMI'll be interested to hear what the thing that bugs you about it is

Spoilers.

Spoiler
So the speargun's projectiles are "smart" in the sense that they go where the targetting lasers go. I don't like the way that Feral seems to not realize this when trying to use the speargun when he doesn't have his mask on because it does contribute towards his death.

It's fully established how it works, we see how it's to the detriment prior to the end of the film, but it just feels like it dumbs Feral down too much by him not remembering. Granted, there's other circumstances going off and etc, but I feel it could have been a bit better handled.
[close]

goose_3387

goose_3387

I've just finished my first viewing of Prey. Overall I enjoyed it. Can't rate it just yet though – still need to process it and watch it again. Lots of positives and lots of the usual niggles I have with every Predator film after the original.

Doomofman

Doomofman

Quote from: The Ultimate Predator on Aug 05, 2022, 01:44:14 PMGave this 4/5. Really good, more enjoyable than I expected. I definitely will be watching again soon. I had mild concerns the gender norms thing would be over-done but I think it was mostly fairly presented. Great visuals, some fun fight scenes. I think the acting was decent enough, some of the secondary Commanche characters were acted a bit poorly, but the main characters were well portrayed. Wasn't as keen on the Predators' face, and was it CGI at times? Thought the helmet was awesome though. I thought the settlers' characters were simplistic at times, which annoyed me, but like with the acting, the main characters were well developed. Its bloody good to see the franchise return to form after the abomination of The Predator.

My one real frustration with the film is exactly the same as Corporal Hicks, definitely could have been better written;

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 26, 2022, 10:56:08 PM
Quote from: Doomofman on Jul 26, 2022, 10:49:38 PMI'll be interested to hear what the thing that bugs you about it is

Spoilers.

Spoiler
So the speargun's projectiles are "smart" in the sense that they go where the targetting lasers go. I don't like the way that Feral seems to not realize this when trying to use the speargun when he doesn't have his mask on because it does contribute towards his death.

It's fully established how it works, we see how it's to the detriment prior to the end of the film, but it just feels like it dumbs Feral down too much by him not remembering. Granted, there's other circumstances going off and etc, but I feel it could have been a bit better handled.
[close]

Funny, having read what Hicks said before watching, I didn't mind it at all

Spoiler
What I took to be happening, even though we never really see it for definite, is that if the speargun itself isn't near the mask that it just fires straight forward and doesn't track and Feral just didn't think/realize the mask would be close enough for the tracking to trigger when he takes that last shot
[close]

Darkness

Darkness

Spoiler
Yeah, I don't think the Predator just forgot about how the spears work. I think they can be manually fired without the targeting laser. He just didn't realise that she'd set his mask up to direct them at him.
[close]

maknae

maknae

Just watched it second time, and now i get it) His face reminds me of pred dogs from 2018 movie ;D

https://s1.hostingkartinok.com/uploads/images/2022/08/f6f34d6c23f111da4c5f8a043cde7e8b.jpg

Pavel2312

Pavel2312

Hey Everyone (SPOILERS)
Just watched prey,  from the opening scene  knew its gonna be a decent movie at the minimun.
The only thing that bothers me so far: the prerdator butchers everything that is breathing and seems he is not a rookie, how does he make the mistake with the helmet when aiming and firing arrows 3 times , did he forgot it was on outo tracking?
I guess it can be explained with the adrenaline and stress of the hunt he couldnt switch it off.(and of course the final scene)
any athoughts?

DotheKaliYuga

DotheKaliYuga

Overall, I went in expecting the Ghostbusters 2016 of Predator movies but instead got The Force Awakens, which is probably not the compliment this crowd thinks it is but it was better than expected. Still not a great movie, but better than Shane Black or Robert Rodriguez's abortions. The main chick made the most out of a real nothing character, it's amazing how well she outshines Daisy Ridley who got cast in a similar "grrrl powa" role. I guess white women just aren't sending their best.

The Predator was lame compared to the first two, he looked good with the mask on. I know everyone is orgasaming over him throwing people around and cutting off Limbs and shit but he just kind of lumbered around like a big dumb Godzilla monster. None of the grace or menace of previous Predators. The ending was dumb, requiring Naru to have an understanding of the technology she couldn't possibly have acquired over the course of the movie. You could tell the writers just gave up and wanted this assignment over with.

Overall, better than the last two movies not as good as the first two. And AVP films don't even register to me as movies.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Right, some more expansive thoughts.

I'll get the few minor quibbles I had out of the way first:
Spoiler
  • Some of the CGI was less than stellar.
  • The Predator looked amazing... until he took his mask off. I didn't hate it, but the face design was a long way removed from what we've seen before.
  • (Admittedly this one might be on me because I was watching it on a sunny summer's morning with the curtains open, but -) the final fight seemed a little too dark and I struggled to see what was going on at times.
  • I could've done without the Predator's "d'oh" moment of realisation before it dies. It felt corny, and would've worked better for me if it simply bought the farm without ever seeing it coming.
[close]

But altogether those things were pretty inconsequential in light of what is an awesome Predator movie and comfortably the best film in this franchise since the first (even if I personally still like Predator 2 a bit more). Above all, it seems to understand that one of the things that made the first two films work is they essentially took a genre movie and then dropped the Predator into it; this starts out as a Native American drama - and quite a slow-burner at that - before the Predator steps in partway through and things escalate rapidly. And the film's all the better for this approach.

As plenty of other people have mentioned, the cinematography is superb; the plentiful panoramas of the American wilderness are particularly stunning. (This really needs a cinema release!) Amber Midthunder was excellent, especially considering she doesn't get a whole lot of backup from a supporting cast and has to carry the bulk of the movie on her own. (Although even she struggled to compete with her adorable canine co-star ;D) Schachner's score was great; while it would've been nice to hear Silvestri's motifs make a comeback, I don't honestly think they would've fit with the tone of this movie and it'd be a disservice to criticise Schachner's work because of it.

The Predator itself is a boss with tons of cool new weapons. In particular, the sequence where it takes on the European trappers - glimpsed in the trailers - is an amazingly violent brawl. Suffice to say, all talk of this perhaps being toned-down violence-wise are completely misguided - there's some proper brutal slayings in this. There was talk in the marketing of this being the species' first visit to Earth and I can't say I was keen on that angle - so I'm happy to report it's literally never mentioned or inferred in the film itself.

A couple of final spoilery points:
Spoiler
  • I appreciated the misdirection in setting up the bog mud as the way Naru would conceal herself from the Predator, only for her to use a totally different means before the bog made a return as the means to the Predator's downfall.
  • Also as soon as I saw that flintlock I wondered if it would serve as a tie-in to Predator 2, so I was happy when that proved to be the case :) RIP Raphael Andolini.
[close]

Quote from: DotheKaliYuga on Aug 05, 2022, 02:26:11 PMThe ending was dumb, requiring Naru to have an understanding of the technology she couldn't possibly have acquired over the course of the movie.

Spoiler
We obviously watched different movies because I distinctly remember a scene showing us exactly how she learns about the mask and guided spears. As for the hand-held spear she uses, she doesn't know how it works - hence why she's shocked when it collapses in her hand instead of striking the Predator. It doesn't mean she can't still bludgeon him with it.
[close]

PAS Spinelli

PAS Spinelli

Movie was really good
The ending is deserved
Some of the best kills in the franchise

Yeah this is tied with the original for me, it has some weak moments, but so does the first due to age.
Seeing how this is a direct to streaming movie, I will rate it as a 5/5

maknae

maknae

He saw the arrow is coming, so he could: 1) block it with his bare hand 2) catch it 3) use shield, which is still works i believe 4) flee the arrow. But he chooses to make a dumb face and catch it with his head)))
Also, when she is pulling him by the rope, he fell like a doll, man his weight is about 150kg, how the... ok, im done with this movie)))

BIOROBOT

BIOROBOT

Just saw a screen of the Predators face. Looks a LOT like the old Stan Winston concept art for the original movie. The eyes especially are taken straight from that old concept. Very cool.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed