[SPOILERS] Feral Predator Design Thread

Started by The Shuriken, Jun 05, 2022, 02:47:11 AM

Are you for the new Predator face or against?

I do like the new face design
30 (19.9%)
I do not like the new face design
74 (49%)
It is ok and I am willing to accept the new face design
47 (31.1%)

Total Members Voted: 150

Author
[SPOILERS] Feral Predator Design Thread (Read 156,861 times)

ace3g

QuoteDan: It was about delivering something new, but not changing it too much. In the iteration phase with the folks at ADI, who worked on the development of the suit, I really said, 'Let's push it. Let's break it first and see what the design looks like when we change it so it doesn't look like a Predator and then step back from that.' I didn't want us to be like, 'Oh, a tweak of the eyebrow here...a tweak of the mandible...' I wanted this to feel like it's an exciting new face to look at.

https://sffgazette.com/sci-fi/movies/prey-interview-with-director-dan-trachtenberg-and-producer-jhane-a1894

ace3g

So close...

QuoteTo bring his version of the Predator to life, Trachtenberg enlisted the help of SFX legends Alec Gillis and Tom Woodruff Jr., who've been intertwined with the franchise since 1987's Predator. The filmmaker reveals that he very nearly didn't bring them on board.

"Honestly, I did think before I met with Tom and Alec, I was like, 'Maybe we should have a young new company that has never done Predator before, that would feel like they could throw down and have something to prove because I love giving people a start.' But then I met with Tom and Alec. And they were undeniably charming, and we've talked a lot about what they had always felt, maybe a little handcuffed by, in previous entries in the franchise and how excited they would be to do something special with this. They are just wonderful people to be around. I've loved so much of their work and all the movies I've watched growing up that I could not help but say yes to them. I think they did go above and beyond in creating something better than anything they've ever done before and certainly in the Predator franchise. Even as far as just movie creatures go, it's just an awesome movie creature."

https://bloody-disgusting.com/interviews/3725065/prey-director-dan-trachtenberg-on-evolving-the-predator-with-the-franchises-longtime-fx-artists-interview/

paulorangelmelo

paulorangelmelo

Shot

I cant get the Spoiler button thing to work.

The Shuriken

The most expandable mandibles yet.

PAS Spinelli

Even tho he is a Crabator, the mandible anatomy looks way more wolf like than fugitive like, which means it works with the mouth rather than just having next to it in a really ugly way, since this is meant to be a different type of Pred, I find it acceptable

BlueMarsalis79

Quote from: PAS Spinelli on Aug 02, 2022, 06:24:49 PMEven tho he is a Crabator, the mandible anatomy looks way more wolf like than fugitive like, which means it works with the mouth rather than just having next to it in a really ugly way, since this is meant to be a different type of Pred, I find it acceptable

This tbh

PAS Spinelli

The worst case of ADI's lack of care for the Mandibles is definitely on the Predalien tho, that design is just terrible imo

BlueMarsalis79

It is the combination of the worst takes on both creatures imo.

PAS Spinelli

Too organic
Human mouth and skull
Mandibles are just glued to the cheeks and not connected to the mouth
Again, too organic
Too small

BigDaddyJohn

Fugitive had the punched by mike tyson kind of jaw.

Kradan

Quote from: PAS Spinelli on Aug 02, 2022, 06:37:02 PMToo organic
Human mouth and skull
Mandibles are just glued to the cheeks and not connected to the mouth
Again, too organic
Too small

I was about to ask "How can a Predator be too organic ? " but then I realised you were talking about Chet lol. To be fair, IIRC more organic look was a studio note. There're BTS photos of Chet maquette with a more biomech look

"Glued to the cheeks" is like the most accurate description 

Mike’s Monsters

Quote from: PAS Spinelli on Aug 02, 2022, 06:27:32 PMThe worst case of ADI's lack of care for the Mandibles is definitely on the Predalien tho, that design is just terrible imo

Still wish we'd had seen what they made before the producers came in and said to change it. It was like some producers kid or something that put the producer off and requested it to look like it does now. Could have my details wrong there.
Alec telling me that story a few years back was always interesting because I could hear the frustration and disappointment in his voice.

This new Predator worked really well for me. It's not my favorite design, but a lot of the complaints most had about ADI Predators doesn't apply to Feral. His mouth may be big, but that's not something that ever bothered me. The technical issues though, I could see and understand, but still never took me out.

goose_3387

Quote from: Mike's Monsters on Aug 02, 2022, 07:04:25 PM
Quote from: PAS Spinelli on Aug 02, 2022, 06:27:32 PMThe worst case of ADI's lack of care for the Mandibles is definitely on the Predalien tho, that design is just terrible imo

Still wish we'd had seen what they made before the producers came in and said to change it. It was like some producers kid or something that put the producer off and requested it to look like it does now. Could have my details wrong there.
Alec telling me that story a few years back was always interesting because I could hear the frustration and disappointment in his voice.

This new Predator worked really well for me. It's not my favorite design, but a lot of the complaints most had about ADI Predators doesn't apply to Feral. His mouth may be big, but that's not something that ever bothered me. The technical issues though, I could see and understand, but still never took me out.

Does his mouth close properly or is it the typical always open look we've become used to seeing?

Mike’s Monsters

Quote from: goose_3387 on Aug 02, 2022, 07:11:26 PM

Does his mouth close properly or is it the typical always open look we've become used to seeing?

I thought it closed, but it's been many a years and my memory is never the best.

I smoke too much weed and can't remember a thing!

goose_3387

Quote from: Mike's Monsters on Aug 02, 2022, 07:25:04 PM
Quote from: goose_3387 on Aug 02, 2022, 07:11:26 PM

I thought it closed, but it's been many a years and my memory is never the best.

I smoke too much weed and can't remember a thing!

I was talking about Feral... 😬😅

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed