[SPOILERS] Feral Predator Design Thread

Started by The Shuriken, Jun 05, 2022, 02:47:11 AM

Are you for the new Predator face or against?

I do like the new face design
30 (19.9%)
I do not like the new face design
74 (49%)
It is ok and I am willing to accept the new face design
47 (31.1%)

Total Members Voted: 150

Author
[SPOILERS] Feral Predator Design Thread (Read 156,886 times)

SiL

Or the actor's face with tracking marks, or a dummy stand in.

Highland

Full CG face is a potential deal breaker for me. Bad feeling....  :o

426Buddy

I think if done right like D9 a cgi face could be great.

Not sure why it would be a deal breaker imo. Personally I think this predator looks awesome from what I've seen.

Highland

Highland

Quote from: 426Buddy on Jul 19, 2022, 02:15:03 AMI think if done right like D9 a cgi face could be great.

Not sure why it would be a deal breaker imo. Personally I think this predator looks awesome from what I've seen.

Mandibles under the mask, absolutely, it'll bring life to the suit. Full close up face reveal...The predator is a prop, always has been. It'll have them dead eyes , imperfections.

Straight to streaming I'm thinking the budget wasn't incredible.

I'll give the benefit of the doubt, but if you're asking me puppet vs CG it's not even a contest.

One thing, it'll clear up the mandible problem, but potentially creates a worse problem. Especially if they start animating the dreds etc.

Fingers crossed.

The Shuriken

Good shot of the mandible placement in the new tv spot. Not my capture, but I wanted to bring it here.

In the footage you can see them moving. They hug the sides or the face, no X shape closed formation. Definitely not what I was hoping for. But whatever. This was an inevitability.

BlueMarsalis79

It was not meant to go straight to streaming initially, budget's probably decent enough.

Master

So, the monster has elecrtomagnetic crossbow insted of plasmacaster. Cool, definitely cool looking. I wonder if P2 Pred had the same!

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: Master on Jul 19, 2022, 10:13:39 AMSo, the monster has elecrtomagnetic crossbow insted of plasmacaster. Cool, definitely cool looking. I wonder if P2 Pred had the same!

Considering every hand held weapon (net gun, combistick) is still visible while City Hunter is cloaked in P2, and when firing the spear thing nothing is seen, I'd say it's something different, probably wrist mounted.

Corporal Hicks

Quote"Most of it is practical and some of it is CG. I'm not someone who thinks CG is awful and I fetishize practical effects and suit work. Oftentimes, I feel pulled out of the movie when I see the man in that suit as much as I've been pulled out of a movie when I feel the artifice and digitally recreated creature or effect. I really wanted to combine both thoughts and mainly rely on the practical suit, but enhance key moments with visual effects, like his calf muscles. Sometimes the hands are changing or you see a throat throbbing."

https://freshfiction.tv/interview-how-prey-went-from-an-innovative-idea-to-a-meaningful-movie/

That's actually really interesting considerations. I hadn't really thought about any of those kind of movements or adjustments before.

Xerxész

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Jul 19, 2022, 11:02:41 AMConsidering every hand held weapon (net gun, combistick) is still visible while City Hunter is cloaked in P2, and when firing the spear thing nothing is seen, I'd say it's something different, probably wrist mounted.
The new speargun is handheld, not wrist mounted. This can be clearly seen in proper aspect ratio TV spot.

Doomofman

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 19, 2022, 11:03:16 AM
Quote"Most of it is practical and some of it is CG. I'm not someone who thinks CG is awful and I fetishize practical effects and suit work. Oftentimes, I feel pulled out of the movie when I see the man in that suit as much as I've been pulled out of a movie when I feel the artifice and digitally recreated creature or effect. I really wanted to combine both thoughts and mainly rely on the practical suit, but enhance key moments with visual effects, like his calf muscles. Sometimes the hands are changing or you see a throat throbbing."

https://freshfiction.tv/interview-how-prey-went-from-an-innovative-idea-to-a-meaningful-movie/

That's actually really interesting considerations. I hadn't really thought about any of those kind of movements or adjustments before.
Hopefully it blends well. A mix of practical and CG can be fine but if it doesn't blend it's a bit jarring

Kailem

Blade 2 did an amazing job of blending practical effects with CG-enhanced jaws and mandibles, so it's definitely an effect that can work really well:

From the quote Hicks posted especially, it certainly sound like we're going to be getting "CG touch-ups" here and there rather than just a straight split of "CG for the cloaked Pred, practical for everything else" that we've seen before.

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: Xerxész on Jul 19, 2022, 11:29:14 AM
Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Jul 19, 2022, 11:02:41 AMConsidering every hand held weapon (net gun, combistick) is still visible while City Hunter is cloaked in P2, and when firing the spear thing nothing is seen, I'd say it's something different, probably wrist mounted.
The new speargun is handheld, not wrist mounted. This can be clearly seen in proper aspect ratio TV spot.

I was talking about what City Hunter have in P2.  ;)

PredatorvsAliens

PredatorvsAliens

wasent wolf cg too in that one shot on his home planet ?
if that's the case i dont really mind it because they know they can never get the face right pratical
but when using cg if that's the case
i dont really mind it.

dont get me wrong pratical all the way but if they cannot get it right im ok with the CG.

BigDaddyJohn

God I can't wait for the scene where the bone mask of Feral is shattered by a tomahawk and reveals the true mask under it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed