Alien: Resurrection
41 (3.6%)
Prometheus
8 (0.7%)
Alien: Covenant
7 (0.6%)

Total Members Voted: 1054

Author
Favourite Alien Movie? (Read 618,383 times)

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

The response Coco got:

QuoteYeah I agree that Hicks and Newt are overrated. Hicks is the only one to survive because he's the only Marine that doesn't display some form of a bad attitude about anything at any point, while the rest all gives us a little slither of a reason at one time or another to not feel too bad about them not making it. He's only interesting when he has to take charge and seems competent, big wow, after Gorman lost control. And he got to heroically jump through a window.

Newt has that "They're dead! Ok can I go now?" and that's it. It's just an excuse to have a kid menaced by the monster. Very manipulative but effective. I don't think Fincher can be accused of using Newt's death to arbitrarily put a grim pall over his film any more than Cameron is guilty of shoehorning an inherently sympathetic character into his own movie in order to provoke an emotion in the audience.

But surviving the end of this movie by default of being the least offensive and the most vulnerable character respectively doesn't make them indispensable. I don't buy that "We had relationships with them and then Fincher flushed them down the toilet" claim that some fans make.

I get what you're all saying, but it is written as a response to criticisms not just as an appraisal from someone who feels that the same criticisms can be applied to each film anyway, most characters are identifiable, with a handful standing out amongst a larger cast that's functionally interchangeable, for the most part.
Clones may be going a bit overboard yes, but I know, as probably most, that's an exaggeration in response to criticisms of the other film. Finding Hicks dull in comparison to Clemens' or Dillon's not a crime.

But it's a bit disingenuous to say she didn't praise the film,
QuoteFor the record, I fukin loved the movie. It was incredible. I honestly loved it more than I did the original.
being that she comments on the video audio aspects in that post,
QuotePlus holy shit was the cinematography fantastic.
and compliments the cast
QuoteThey were oozing with personality.
or that she must be being disingenuous herself as she discusses the genre change as part of them being unceremoniously killed off.

SiL

SiL

The praise is almost all contextualised in saying "but what about this OTHER movie?"

She said she liked it and the cinematography. The praise of the prisoner personalities (Gregor is such a character!) is framed within attacking Aliens.

And that reply she got about Newt equally misses the mark. I don't care about the characters much either but way to completely miss the story's underlying theme.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: SiL on Jul 07, 2022, 07:07:00 PMThat review reads like it was written by an edgy twelve year old. It's the "no, u" school of defence - "Nuh uh, Alien 3 wasn't disrespectful, Aliens was! The characters in Alien 3 weren't faceless, the characters in Aliens were!"

it doesn'tt actually praise the movie, just shits on another one to make it look good by comparison.

Uh-oh.

Cocolyte

Cocolyte

Quote from: SiL on Jul 07, 2022, 08:00:09 PMThe praise is almost all contextualised in saying "but what about this OTHER movie?"

She said she liked it and the cinematography. The praise of the prisoner personalities (Gregor is such a character!) is framed within attacking Aliens.

I mean, yeah. I'm criticizing Aliens. All the criticism I see directed at Alien 3 is unfairly NOT shown to Aliens, which it needs to be because it's a shallow and convoluted film.

SiL

SiL

Kind of comes across like you don't like Alien 3 so much as the idea that liking it over Aliens means something special.

Why not praise Alien 3 in your Alien 3 review and criticise Aliens in an Aliens review? It hardly makes Alien 3 looks good when the nicest thing you have to say is "yeah  well Aliens is a bad movie!"

Cocolyte

Cocolyte

Quote from: SiL on Jul 07, 2022, 08:28:14 PMKind of comes across like you don't like Alien 3 so much as the idea that liking it over Aliens means something special.

Why not praise Alien 3 in your Alien 3 review and criticise Aliens in an Aliens review? It hardly makes Alien 3 looks good when the nicest thing you have to say is "yeah  well Aliens is a bad movie!"

My "review" was in the context of people arguing about Aliens and Alien 3, so it was about that.

It is true though. I get off on liking Alien 3 over Aliens.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

"You can't actually love Alien³ so you must think liking it over Aliens makes you special."

SiL

SiL

What I actually said was "you don't seem to have anything nice to say about the movie itself on its own merits despite claiming to love it".

One can absolutely love Alien 3. They're all lovable in their own ways.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Actually what you wrote was:

QuoteKind of comes across like you don't like Alien 3 so much as the idea that liking it over Aliens means something special.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

The f**k's going on in here?

SiL

SiL

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Jul 07, 2022, 09:05:02 PMActually what you wrote was:

QuoteKind of comes across like you don't like Alien 3 so much as the idea that liking it over Aliens means something special.

Yes, with the context being that it comes across like that because, etc.

Nothing resembling

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Jul 07, 2022, 08:42:08 PM"You can't actually love Alien³ so you must think liking it over Aliens makes you special."

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Jul 07, 2022, 09:10:22 PMThe f**k's going on in here?
Persecution fetish.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Quote from: SiL on Jul 07, 2022, 09:12:16 PM
Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Jul 07, 2022, 09:05:02 PMActually what you wrote was:

Yes, with the context being that it comes across like that because, etc.

Nothing resembling

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Jul 07, 2022, 08:42:08 PM"You can't actually love Alien³ so you must think liking it over Aliens makes you special."

Yes because I was playfully mocking you being an absolute nonce innit?

One's an insinuation, the other declaration, that's the real difference. 

Quote from: SiL on Jul 07, 2022, 09:12:16 PM
Quote from: [cancerblack] on Jul 07, 2022, 09:10:22 PMThe f**k's going on in here?
Persecution fetish.

To a new memba as well, the shame of it.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Jul 07, 2022, 09:19:00 PMYes because I was playfully mocking you being an absolute nonce innit?
If you didn't have a history off getting overly defensive about Alien 3 I could see that, but it just comes across as a strawman.

QuoteTo a new memba as well, the shame of it.
I never said whose. (Edit: for clarity, mine; I'm being self deprecating)

You might also notice I stopped replying to them when they explained why they wrote the review they did. It made sense, I moved on.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

I'm making an effort to be more aggressive than defensive, with my point of view instead, now that Coco's shown me nostalgia's indeed got no bearing on it.

I have a lot of fetishes but that's not one of them.

SiL

SiL

Thank you for giving a heads up that you will actively be making any discussion about Alien 3 even more exhausting than it already is, that's what we all need and a healthy way to enjoy something.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed