Started by Shasvre, Feb 03, 2011, 08:43:31 PM

Did you like the movie?

Yes.
No.
Author
Hellboy (2019) (Read 114,115 times)

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

I've read maybe seven or eight trade paperbacks worth of the comics, and it's really good stuff. I'm very into various world mythologies, folklore, literature, etc. and the comics tap into all of that in such cool ways. Read some of the various offshoots as well, like Frankenstein Underground. Haven't read any of the B.P.R.D. titles, though, or Hellboy in Hell which is apparently excellent.

Love what I read of the comics, love del Toro's films (in a very different way), and.... I have not bothered with the 2019 film, which I thought looked absolutely dire. Jury's still out on this new one (glad it isn't using generative AI shit), though I really wish we could have just gotten a proper third film to cap off del Toro's trilogy before moving onto what is claiming to be a move comic accurate reboot. Also, I feel like Hellboy as a character and the world he inhabits would lend himself very well to an animated film, if given the Spider-Verse level of care (and, presumably, a comparable budget to see it through) that strives to actually look like Mignola's artwork come to life on screen. I think that would appeal to me more than yet another live action reboot, just 'cause of my pre-existing attachment to what del Toro has already done in that space.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Things like Perlman's age and Selma Blair's MS make me think the time for a Hellboy 3 has passed, sadly.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Yeah, I'd never expect one now (unless somehow that ends up as one of the animated projects del Toro could do, given that he wants to dedicate so much of his career to animation now), but I just long for what could have been as a concluding chapter in the trilogy in the early 2010s or so.

I think if the trilogy had been run to its natural end, rather than cut short, I would probably be more open minded each time a reboot with a new take was announced.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

I think this one is at least taking a more reasonable approach, adapting a standalone, smaller scale story. I'd be less cautious about it if Millennium didn't f**k up so spectacularly the last time.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Selma Blair has MS? That's terrible. I'd absolutely no idea.

Prez

Prez

Been collecting Hellboy trades since the early 2000s. Had to stop a few years ago as a) was becoming too expensive and b) ran out of room to house them all. There are plenty of great standalone stories in their to draw upon.

The 1950s Hellboy series has actually been my favourite. Just finished reading The Visitor story and that was great.

I'd kill for a BPRD series. Each episode could be its own thing with perhaps an undertone story arc for each season - much like X-files used to do.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed