Attn forumers: You speak only for yourself. Blanket statements are for assholes.

Started by Bishop2, Sep 01, 2007, 04:05:28 AM

Author
Attn forumers: You speak only for yourself. Blanket statements are for assholes. (Read 10,612 times)

SiL

Saying "everyone knows" and "only true fans" and crap like that isn't opinion...

Uncanny Antman

Quote from: Bishop2 on Sep 01, 2007, 07:17:05 AM
Only if they don't want to be assholes.

Funny how you claim that you're trying to foster harmony, but have several times now implied, almost flat-out stated, that a great many forum members are assholes.

Weird way to make nice-nice, but what do I know.  :)

Dekapitator

Those "assholes" probably won't even give a rat's ass about this anyway.

BodySnatcher

..He does raise some goods points but no ones going to really acknowledge it!

Uncanny Antman

What 'good points' does anyone need acknowledge?  That some people use the phrase "Everybody knows..." or "Most people agree..." and that he doesn't like it?

ScarPredator16

ScarPredator16

QuoteInsert Quote
What 'good points' does anyone need acknowledge?  That some people use the phrase "Everybody knows..." or "Most people agree..." and that he doesn't like it?

That it's annoying when people say "the majority of the world hates AVP" or "everyone knows Alien is the best alien film ever" because both are false. The Majority of the world's view on AVP isn't on 1 Alien/Predator fourm and there is much evidence to back up the fact that many people did in fact like AVP. And Some people do think Alien isn't the best alien film. And it's very ignorant and rude to think you can speak for "everybody" when your only speaking for yourself.

He's not telling people how to act or behave, hes just saying that there are alot of people who think they know what the vast majority is, but in reality they are only basing it off of their opinion, and what 1 Alien/Predator fourm has to say, totally disregarding any facts or evidence that might disagree with them.

Uncanny Antman

Quote from: ScarPredator16 on Sep 01, 2007, 03:53:21 PM
He's not telling people how to act or behave

Actually, that's exactly what he's doing.

And hell, I even agree...it is annoying when people make grand statements about what a majority supposedly thinks.  But that's all it is.  Mildly annoying.  Can't say it's annoying enough to go throwing "Assholes" around at people.  It's really no different to any of the other hyperbole that goes on during any given discussion.

ScarPredator16

Quote from: Uncanny Antman on Sep 01, 2007, 04:29:28 PM
Quote from: ScarPredator16 on Sep 01, 2007, 03:53:21 PM
He's not telling people how to act or behave

Actually, that's exactly what he's doing.

And hell, I even agree...it is annoying when people make grand statements about what a majority supposedly thinks.  But that's all it is.  Mildly annoying.  Can't say it's annoying enough to go throwing "Assholes" around at people.  It's really no different to any of the other hyperbole that goes on during any given discussion.

It annoys the shit out of me when people think they can speak for me. Somone says "all true fans hate AVP.", I say "I liked AVP." That person then says "Then your not a true fan."

I hate that. I'm just as big a fan as you, I just don't share your opinion.

And you only find crap like that "Mildly" annoying?

The Chibi Kiriyama

People who flame other people for the sheer thrill in it are pathetic to me. At the same time, you've really gone a long way to alienating yourself from the community if you think that opining about this fact is worth a whole topic upon. Regardless of what happens here, you're not obligated to post or even read posts if you don't like what you're seeing. Trying to single-handedly change viewpoints on a forum is fruitless when you think about the fact that you don't have to visit boards where the opinion makes you feel under attack.

Bishop2

I apologize if I came on a little strong.  I've edited the original post to soften it a bit.  Obivously most of the board isn't that awful.  Hell, most of the board... is probably just lurking and not even posting, it often seems.  But there's a good 10-20 people spoiling the fun by making blanket, derisive statements. 

I think you might understand that, once I've been called a useless pile of flesh and messaged to be told that I should just commit suicide - because of my opinions on movies, for the love of god -  I'm a little bit passionate about this.

We're all here for the same reason.  We all love the creatures and the franchise(s).  So why do we have to be so hateful to each other?  Shouldn't we be friendly and united because we have something huge in common?

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Bishop2 on Sep 01, 2007, 11:13:52 PM
I think you might understand that, once I've been called a useless pile of flesh and messaged to be told that I should just commit suicide - because of my opinions on movies, for the love of god -  I'm a little bit passionate about this.

Now, you see, these are the things you should contact mods about.

CelticP

I apologize if I came on a little strong.  I've edited the original post to soften it a bit.  Obivously most of the board isn't that awful.  Hell, most of the board... is probably just lurking and not even posting, it often seems.  But there's a good 10-20 people spoiling the fun by making blanket, derisive statements. 

We're all here for the same reason.  We all love the creatures and the franchise(s).  So why do we have to be so hateful to each other?  Shouldn't we be friendly and united because we have something huge in common?
No, I dont think you should commit suicide....not at all. Although since you like AvP, I may not take some of your opinions seriously....but hey...atleast you can farkin spell.... ::)

Uncanny Antman

I apologize if I came on a little strong.

All true fans accept your apology.  ;) 

QuoteI've been called a useless pile of flesh and messaged to be told that I should just commit suicide

Was that on this board?  That shit is totally uncalled for.  I can see why that would get you worked up.  Just that your aim was a little scattershot.  :)

Bishop2

Yeah well, that may have been the first shot across the bow that made me think "What the hell is going on here?" - but it was a series of blanket statements all made in one day over in the AVP2 forum that finally broke the camel's back.  Four or five sweeping statements about what "True Fans" believe, about 20 rattlings of having the support of "the entire fanbase" at their back, the illogical "you MADE YOURSELF believe your position" crap, and basically more than enough fallacies to make me get a complete row in Internet Argument Losing Bingo.

Dekapitator

And now we have the full story.
Whenever that happens again, consider Hicks' advice.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed