Aliens: Aftermath #1 (Marvel, One-Shot)

Started by Nightmare Asylum, Apr 19, 2021, 06:13:38 PM

Author
Aliens: Aftermath #1 (Marvel, One-Shot) (Read 16,682 times)

EJA

I have to say, silly glow on the Alien aside, I'm quite looking forward to this. Sounds like a decent story, firmly connected to one of the movies. I'll be checking this out.

Kane's other son

Why's there so much open hostility towards Marvel? Dark Horse also released crap but there was never such animosity towards them.

There were people attacking Marvel because a comic book featured an alien surviving in the vacuum of space, and we had the exact same scenario in Aliens Vol. 2, back in 1989.

Kradan

Reason №1: Greg Land

Reason №2: Salvador Larroca

Nukiemorph

Dark Horse also had a good start before fumbling now and then...

Marvel has not had a good start.

Kradan

True dat

judge death

judge death

Quote from: Kane's other son on Jul 08, 2021, 06:52:14 PM
Why's there so much open hostility towards Marvel? Dark Horse also released crap but there was never such animosity towards them.

There were people attacking Marvel because a comic book featured an alien surviving in the vacuum of space, and we had the exact same scenario in Aliens Vol. 2, back in 1989.
My issues with marvel: Artists stealing art and tracing it off all the time, cheap art and lifeless, tristian jones almost compared it to: take neca aliens and photo them and call it a comic book. Stealing art from fans and deviantart etc.
Story is lackluster and the dialog is silly and like when they fight alien: talk all the time and one soldier who have no stomach left can still somehow lift his pulse rifle and shot and talk.
Then we have all other issues marvel done and saying dark horse didnt do anything with the alien franchise.... Sell wise maygbe but dark horse had far better quality and got it more right than marvel so far. Marvel so far seem to aim to release comic after comic at rapid pace and no much quality control and let the artist trace away to be able to keep those deadlines, which is cheap and bad for us fans when other comic makers take years to give us much better and unique art.

Edit I forgot to mention: the artist even drew off himself as the main charachter in the story which we will have to endure forever as its a ongoing story with no end. sigh.

hawkangel

hawkangel

So Aliens : Aftermath one shot is out.
While I appreciate the art is original and not traced, the
Spoiler
idea of a fluorescent light toned Xenomorph that survived the nuclear blast on LV-426, drips acid that makes people's arms freeze, drop off and smash into a million pieces in some T-1000 like fashion is a little silly. 
[close]

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Final cover with the anniversary logo and new font for Aftermath. Looking forward to having a read over dinner.

Not read yet.

https://monkeysfightingrobots.co/review-aliens-aftermath-1-an-unnecessary-sequel/

I enjoyed it. Solid read.

Spoiler
Annoying that he found Vasquez's smartgun in what I'm guessing was supposed to be Ops. As always, hate the reused dialogue. But otherwise I thought it was worth a read. The radioactive Alien is take-it-or-leave it. I was indifferent to it tbh. Looked cool though. The artwork was damn good. Rather this guy be on the main line! Unsure about the twist with Russ, though that panel was pretty sweet.
[close]

EJA

Fairly nice art, and an interesting premise, BUT......

Spoiler
As someone else has already pointed out, what was Vasquez's gun doing in a totally different part of the colony from where she died? And as for the whole "subject zero" thing, the first colonist to be infected was Newt's father, and Newt told Ripley he was dead. So, sadly, it kind of falls apart. A shame, really, as I really wanted to like this.
[close]

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

This was ultimately pretty redundant and silly (though I guess the ending is a big deal?). Neat art, though.

Spoiler
First confirmation of a living, breathing Yutani, right?

Oh also the liquid nitrogen blood felt like something out of a cartoon.
[close]

Also I really hope that one day they can move past the obsession with going back to going back to LV-426.

Nukiemorph

Nice art. Enjoyed the story.

LOTS of censored F-bombs though. That annoys me. Just write around it if you can't print the word. Makes it feel like I'm holding something that's been edited, like I'm watching Aliens on cable.

I've seen comments stating that having an alien glow misses the point of the creature. I'd argue that the "point" is adaptability to its environment. Environment is frozen over in nuclear winter, so it glows and
Spoiler
has extremely cold blood.
[close]
Whatever. I'm down.

Redundant and silly as it may be, I liked it way more than the main Marvel run. That's for damn sure.

Quote from: EJA on Jul 14, 2021, 03:39:05 PM
Fairly nice art, and an interesting premise, BUT......

Spoiler
As someone else has already pointed out, what was Vasquez's gun doing in a totally different part of the colony from where she died? And as for the whole "subject zero" thing, the first colonist to be infected was Newt's father, and Newt told Ripley he was dead. So, sadly, it kind of falls apart. A shame, really, as I really wanted to like this.
[close]
Spoiler
I don't remember where Vasquez dropped her smartgun, but I know she didn't have it by the time she died.

And who says Newt saw her father die? Maybe she was told he was dead, or she assumed it because she saw everyone else die.
[close]

judge death

Sounds like more a miss thing then for me, although better than amrvels main series but this comic seem to been written by someone who watched aliens once a long time ago and wrote a sequel without knowing the details. As soon as a hardcore alien fan reads it and see all these misses, the story falls apart, the sewing collapses as we pull the string so to speak.

-Xenos are like coachroaches, radiations houldnt even damage them, like in earth war where they were unharmed by the fallout after the nukes blew earth pretty much. They are the perfect organism and I have hard time seeing coachroaches beating xenos at survival rate.
- Having acid being super cold and making stuff it touches into ice and then behave like T-1000 is just silly, and the xeno being bright.

_Hadleys hope was blown up, shouldnt even be anything left of it if the writer read up on the blast which is well written in blueprints book and other sources. But then we wouldnt have this comic so I give it a pass for now.

- Vazques smartgun was left outside the apc in the atmosphere processor, shouldnt be in operations area.

-then the incorrect info on newts father.

Plus point: is for the art which isnt as glaring traced off unlike the main series....

To me it seems the writer or artist and most who hail this comic havent watched aliens or paid attention to the movie to the level we do.

Nightmare Asylum

The retcons with the movie involving Newt's father don't bother me too much. Nor does the glowing irradiated Alien - it's a comic. Comics are where the silly stuff like this with the Alien should be happening (and, along with Jeunet's filmmaking style, that "sillier stuff" is a big part of why I can so easily look at Resurrection as some hypothetical adaptation of a non-existent Dark Horse run from the 90s).

Hadley's Hope still standing, even just in part, does bother me, though. I'd be more than ok if we never saw a post-Aliens LV-426 again.

judge death

wouldnt see this as a retcon but more its own comic fantasy thing myself, but I still is annoyed by making the xenos weak for radiation. well just nuke them, problem solved, which is why I liked dark horse version: radiation dont harm them, perfect.

Nightmare Asylum

Well, the radiation didn't exactly harm or weaken the Alien here. It just prompted a mutation to better deal with its new habitat.

A very, very silly mutation, mind you. And not something I'd really want to see in a film. But at the end of the day it is a mutation that made the Alien just as strong as it was before, just in a different way that is catered more to its new setting.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed