Yes, all the time
No, never ever
Sometimes, here and there
Author
Comic Book Readers (Read 903,719 times)

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Dracula Returns To Launch New Universal Monsters Line This October
From the minds of one of the comic book medium's most prolific writers in the horror genre comes a brand new retelling of the Dracula tale.

QuoteJames Tynion IV, Skybound Entertainment, and Universal Products & Experiences are all collaborating to bring the classic Dracula tale to the comic book medium. Universal Pictures gained a reputation in its infancy for producing several classic monster movies within the horror and sci-fi genres. Among the most famous of these films was the 1931 iteration of Dracula, starring Bela Lugosi in the title role. Now, Universal is bringing this old-school version of Dracula to the comic book medium.

Skybound Entertainment and Universal Products & Entertainment are partnering up to bring audiences Universal Monsters: Dracula. The series will be a four-part limited series helmed by Tynion and artist Martin Simmonds. Tynion and Simmonds previously worked together on the critically acclaimed Department of Truth series. This upcoming Dracula series will be followed by more new limited series spotlighting the iconic Universal monsters from some of the top creators in comics. Each series will feature variant covers from some of the best artists working in comics today—Joshua Middleton, Francis Manapul, Julian Totino-Tedesco, and Jenny Frison. Universal Monsters: Dracula #1 is currently slated to release on October 25, just in time for Halloween. Both covers can be found below.

The first issue of Universal Monsters: Dracula will focus on Dr. John Seward, who fans may recall from the original 1931 movie. The comic is also set to feature other familiar characters like Mina Seward, R.M. Renfield, Doctor John Seward, Van Helsing, and others. As for Dr. Seward, he admits a seemingly delusional new patient into his asylum. The patient in question recounts chilling tales of a demonic entity residing next door, all while the skeptical doctor tries to rationalize the unexplainable. Meanwhile, his adopted daughter, Lucy, mysteriously succumbs to the hypnotic influence of the charismatic Count Dracula.

"It's been an absolute thrill to watch the powerhouse duo behind The Department of Truth breathe new life into this legendary story," says Skybound Entertainment Editorial Director Alex Antone. "Perfect for both new fans and horror aficionados alike – the Universal Monsters are as timeless as ever!"

What's old is new again as this marks the latest update for the Dracula character. Beyond introducing the classic characters, it's clear that this series will be taking a massive inspiration for Dracula's appearance from Bela Lugosi as he appears in his portrayal of the character. It's an iconic portrayal in the realms of pop culture, but one that horror aficionado Tynion is unsurprisingly anxious to tackle. Tynion had this to say:

"A few times in my life I've had the pleasure of writing about one of the great pop culture icons, but there is something singular about Dracula that made this opportunity too good to pass up. The challenge in front of Martin and I is to take the bloody heart of the Universal Pictures classic and find a bold new way to bring the character to life. It's been one of the most exciting creative challenges of my life, and I am phenomenally excited for you to see the horrors we have in store for you."

Meanwhile, Tynion's frequent collaborator Simmonds shares the same sentiment:

"Dracula has always been a horror favorite of mine, so to get the chance to work on an exciting new interpretation of this character alongside my Department of Truth Co-creator, James Tynion IV, was one I couldn't pass up. I'm so excited for readers to experience our version of Universal's classic monster--and I hope you enjoy the direction we take the story."

On top of being two of the most creative minds in the horror comic genre, the two Department of Truth co-creators are clearly passionate about classic staples of horror like the 1931 edition of Dracula. Any Dracula fans can rest assured that the story is in good hands of two people who love the material and are ready to put a modern twist on it.

Universal Monsters: Dracula #1 will be available on October 25.

https://screenrant.com/dracula-new-universal-monsters-comic-tynion-simmonds-skybound/

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

I've been reading too much via Marvel Unlimited to really log here, but a lot of it has been good. The Way/Aaron Ghost Rider, Rucka's Punisher, etc. I've also been reading through, er, other means, Frank Miller's Elektra: Assassin and it's... something. And much to my shock the main SHIELD Agent ended up as Bill Paxton's character on Agents of SHIELD.  :laugh:

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Read Doctor Strange: Fall Sunrise, written and drawn by Tradd Moore (who also did the art for the phenomenal Silver Surfer Black that I've been obsessed with for a few years now). I absolutely loved this. Esoteric, in the way the best Doctor Strange stories are/should be, with Moore's trademark style taking the reader through this melancholic odyssey exploring idea and the material world.

Moore's one of the most interesting talents working in comics right now. If he keeps doing work like this and SSB, I'll be there ready to read everything he does.

I bet I end up reading this one again before the week is up.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

https://twitter.com/CaptainAmerica/status/1687134410418597889

QuoteIn the early 90s, Steve Rogers transformed into CAPWOLF in writer Mark Gruenwald and artist Rik Levins' unforgettable "Man and Wolf" story arc. Now over 30 years later, CAPWOLF is back in his own limited series, CAPWOLF & THE HOWLING COMMMANDOS!

Written by Stephanie Phillips and drawn by Carlos Magno, this four-issue limited series will tell an all-new story where Steve becomes a terrifying werewolf during an early World War II mission. Luckily, his fiercest allies are by his side--Nick Fury and the Howling Commandos! After years of combat, this elite squad of soldiers thought they've seen it all but this might be their wildest adventure yet as the series captures the spirit of Stan Lee and Jack Kirby's classic wartime storytelling with a modern mystical twist!

When Captain America is transformed into a werewolf on the front lines of World War II, he'll need the help of the Howling Commandos to take down a band of Nazi cultists who intend to use supernatural forces to turn the tide of battle. But can Cap control the skeptical, jaded Commandos when he can barely control himself?

"This is the kind of story I was dying to tell at Marvel, blending my love of historical fiction with the incredible history of the characters in the Marvel Universe," Phillips told AiPT. "CapWolf and the Howling Commandos may be a war story, but it also has horror, romance, and a few new characters that we introduce along the way. And just wait until you see Carlos Magno's incredible artwork on this series..."

Check out an assortment of covers, including a Hidden Gem wraparound piece using Jack Kirby art of the original Howling Commandos and the issue two cover! And be there when the Marvel Universe hears Capwolf's howl once again this October!

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comics/captain-america-capwolf-the-howling-commandos-covers

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Working through the Mignola-verse comics I've picked up, and I'm not finding Abe Sapien: Dark and Terrible to be all that interesting. So far it's not bad per se, just underwhelming, and it's not helped by the issues all being ridiculously long (70+ pages at times). Maybe letting your editor write his own book wasn't such a great idea, Mike.

Blackdawn

Blackdawn

I never got into the whole concept of comic books nor did I ever get into the whole superhero thing. I collect Predator/AvP comic books, read them once and that's it. They're only for collecting.

I think for me, as I got older, I realized I didn't need some superhero being in my life to look up or want to be, because I had my Dad. I realized as an adult, that as kid, my Dad has always been my superhero. So that's why I never got into comic books or their characters.

Now I do like watching the movies for plots etc, but not too big into characters. For liking characters it ended up being realistic characters - Tony Stark and Bruce Wayne.

They're rich and smart. That's there superpower.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Three issues in now and I am very much enjoying the current Blade ongoing. It's been a while since I read a comic month-to-month like this.

Prez

Prez

So I given the Marvel Alien run a proper deep dive. I've about half way through Icarus having read Bloodlines, Revival and Aftermath.

Thoughts:
- The stories themselves aren't bad if I'm being completely honest.
- The artwork and tone is all wrong.
- My biggest issues aside from Larocca's woeful and lazy Xeno art (which is well documented) is the colouring is so wrong. It's all Marvel lolly pop, bright and colourful. Alien's colour palette should be muted, flat, dirty and dark. The keyline work improved in Icarus and Aftermath given Larocca's absence mind. Colouring is still way too bright and rich.

Being honest, Dark Horse had it's share of hit and miss artwork tone too. However most of the time they got it spot on.

I'll persist though as I'm now invested in where these stories are going.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Immortan Jonesy

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed