Fangoria, anyone?

Started by SiL, Oct 17, 2007, 05:40:23 AM

Author
Fangoria, anyone? (Read 35,409 times)

That Yellow Alien

That Yellow Alien

But this is a production shot. Taken between takes. Those are clearly dorsal tubes, you can see the end of the lower one. It is being weighed down by the water. Why would they use a stunt tail for a quickie production shot?

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

They're the tubes. They're angled down, because the suit has either just shot up - or been dragged up - through the water at high speed. Someone decided it would be great for promotion and didn't realise. :)

Quote from: Docta Jekyll on Oct 21, 2007, 12:30:20 AM
no, it was because Paul Anderson was trying to say predators like the preds in the original films weren't good enough to fight aliens, they needed more armor, and bigger weapons, he says so right in the docs, and its pathetic, he pretty much shits on the original predators, and I'm happy, that for whatever reason, that this predator has a more bare chest, and less armor on the arms and overall, because thats how the original predators were.

It wasn't like that. It was his way of showing they were decked out to 'hunt for bear'. If a hunter has the option of putting extra armour and more capable weapons on, if hunting particularly dangerous prey, then most would, regardless of whether you're a human being or anything else. It isn't as if they have to worry about the weight, based on what we know from 'Predator 2' and the metal analysis scene.

Showing that they were wise enough to make such choices reflects well on them. It means they're not so egotistical that they lack common sense.

What amuses me is that the directors have been quoted as saying the original creatures "never" wore armour, when most viewers would realise they did. :)

Alienseseses

Alienseseses

Quote from: Yellow Alien on Oct 21, 2007, 01:08:58 AM
But this is a production shot. Taken between takes. Those are clearly dorsal tubes, you can see the end of the lower one. It is being weighed down by the water. Why would they use a stunt tail for a quickie production shot?
To reduce the damage done by the water. Winston had some water gripes with Lake Placid too.

And where do you see the end of the "tubes"?
And since when do they droop?

I maintain that the suit you are seeing is tubeless, and that thing is the tail coiled in the air.

That Yellow Alien

That Yellow Alien

Quote from: Alienseseses on Oct 21, 2007, 01:22:15 AM

Like I said, they are drooping because of the water. It is a rubber suit after all.

Johnny Handsome

Johnny Handsome

QuoteWhat amuses me is that the directors have been quoted as saying the original creatures "never" wore armour, when most viewers would realise they did.
But they never really wore any armour, or atleast very barely, you can not call this armour really.
QuoteIt wasn't like that. It was his way of showing they were decked out to 'hunt for bear'. If a hunter has the option of putting extra armour and more capable weapons on, if hunting particularly dangerous prey, then most would, regardless of whether you're a human being or anything else. It isn't as if they have to worry about the weight, based on what we know from 'Predator 2' and the metal analysis scene.
But to make it realistic is not always the way to go, i´ll take unrealistic or "doesnt make sense" anytime over shitty looking designs that just doesnt fit the characters nature, that would be in this case, very agile, slender shape etc etc.

Alienseseses

Alienseseses

Quote from: Yellow Alien on Oct 21, 2007, 01:29:30 AM

Like I said, they are drooping because of the water. It is a rubber suit after all.
That's not an end. It is dipped in the water.

That Yellow Alien

That Yellow Alien

No, it is the end of the tube. Your eyes deceive you, my friend.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Since 'Aliens', actually. :) If you watch very carefully, the one rearing up behind Newt has the more tubular versions also 'bend' for a split-second, as the suit raises out of the water. It's so fast that the average viewer doesn't realise, like how Bishop is standing in a hole on the Sulaco, but it's accidentally captured on film, for certain. :)

QuoteI maintain that the suit you are seeing is tubeless, and that thing is the tail coiled in the air.

Firstly, why would a stunt suit be tubeless? They'd all have the dorsals. Secondly, there are none of the obvious vertebrae seen in the tails.

There are no "stunt tails". The only statement to do with that is of using CGI tails for stuff they can't achieve with practical effects, as in the other film.

Quote from: Johnny Handsome on Oct 21, 2007, 01:30:50 AM
But they never really wore any armour, or at least very barely, you can not call this armour really.

Even the first wore armour. A lot was exposed, sure, but it still wore some.

It was precisely because the majority of it was exposed to air that adding more armour was a practical idea, when going against Aliens.

QuoteBut to make it realistic is not always the way to go, i´ll take unrealistic or "doesnt make sense" anytime over shitty looking designs that just doesnt fit the characters nature, that would be in this case, very agile, slender shape etc etc.

I disagree that 'cool' = fantastic. If it did, everyone would be lauding the 'Star Wars' prequels as superb cinematic history. :)

The 'Alien' and 'Predator' films have the similar mass appeal they do for the same reason as the 'Terminator' franchise has: All three main villains seem realistic. They look and act like such things should do. The first Predator acted like a ghost, but the whole point of the film was that it happened to be an alien using advanced technology. Realism was being applied.

Similarly, Dutch's team and Apone's both felt like realistic characters to be found in the military. If you're interested in superficiality, then watch 'Starship Troopers'. It just isn't on nearly the same level.

The problem with the previous Predator designs was mainly two-fold: Firstly, they needed to de-bulk the muscle mass. Secondly, the director did not have them moving like they were previously depicted. They were walking and running more like humans than what they were. There was a superhuman leap, but it was painfully obvious that it was done with wires.

The same also applied to the Aliens, which should have been leaping between things, in a similar acrobatic way.

Note that neither of those elements would be affected by added armour. :) A lot of the Predator can be covered and still give a lean outline. It could even be thinned out, if necessary, but it still serves an obvious purpose against things you aim to kill at close-range, which are notorious for spraying acid from the slightest injury they encounter.

That's assuming the Predator wouldn't incur serious physical damage before getting a fatal strike in, of course. :)

To have Predators walk about virtually naked, with a, "COME ON! I'LL TAKE YOU ALL ON!" Mentality does them no favours. :) They can do it with humans, because invisibility affords them the ability to strike posses and all the rest of it. Against an opponent not suffering from such a weakness, it's a different story and unless they're stupid, they should knowingly plan ahead for that.

Master

Master

You`ve got a point. Still armours from AvP were somewhat to havy looking and made from extremely agile, ghots like Predators havy warriors that are useing brutal force as their primary weapon ( celtic vs grid ).

This is not the best looking alien I`ve evere seen.(Polit version)
This stupid smileing Alien look like shit! (Rude version)
;D

rookie

rookie

I wonder how much whining there can be on photos which are showing 1ms of the movie that you won't notice in the final product. Always easy to criticise mistakes on photos you wouldn't even have seen in the movie. Let's just wait how all that adds up - especially the Chestburster - no offense but it has always been looking ridiculous.
On one hand ppl whine about things looking different from the Alien and Predator-installments and when there are things that are looking quite similar there is crying about how lame they look ? lol ::)

btw. Thanks for posting the scans - keep the media coming.  ;)

Anonymous684

Anonymous684

Quote from: karhan on Oct 18, 2007, 02:41:49 PM
Quote from: SiL on Oct 17, 2007, 11:25:39 PM
Quote from: Johnny Handsome on Oct 17, 2007, 10:00:40 PM
The leg looks very biomech in that shot.
No, no it doesn't.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l305/pcpm/Bodysuit1.jpg
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l305/pcpm/Bodysuit3.jpg

Iv been to the museuam* in france. I saw that prop. Cool place very strang!

thats a stupid looking monster :o it looks like sh*t, aliens desgin is way better, i like chet a milion times better then that crap. 

back on topic, its not the end of the world if the burster and facehuggers are a bit off because you mostlyt see them in the dark and very quick shots

TheUrbanPredator

TheUrbanPredator

Quote from: Bio Mech Hunter on Oct 20, 2007, 11:32:27 PM

3) "We've pared back the armor because, now that he's not in the arctic, the feeling is he doesn't need all of the covering." -Tom Woodruff Jr.

I find this statement really baffling considering he's worked on the first AVP film greatly, yet doesn't he's ignorant as to why the Preds wore the extra armor. It wasn't because of the cold, it was because a) They're going to be combating Aliens (who can "see" them in any environment; have acid for blood, at least just as strong, tougher, faster, more agile and quite cunning; not humans)  b) They're young, fairly in-experienced Preds going through their right of passage ritual into adult-hood c) They're going to be combating Aliens.

I just had to say it. You wrote 'They're going to be combating Aliens' twice, a and c.

Demonio Cazador

Demonio Cazador

Quote from: rookie on Oct 21, 2007, 01:00:01 PM
I wonder how much whining there can be on photos which are showing 1ms of the movie that you won't notice in the final product. Always easy to criticise mistakes on photos you wouldn't even have seen in the movie. Let's just wait how all that adds up - especially the Chestburster - no offense but it has always been looking ridiculous.
On one hand ppl whine about things looking different from the Alien and Predator-installments and when there are things that are looking quite similar there is crying about how lame they look ? lol ::)

Dude, you have no idea how bad the negativity gets around here...it's so close to IMDB that it's scary... :-\

Spoon

Spoon

Lets clear this up.  Those things flopping down are clearly the aliens tubes.  Its the stunt version of the suit thats why the mouth looks like crap and most of it is made of rubber thats why the tubes are bent.   
  ALL THE ALIENS TAILS ARE DONE ON CGI!   Was clearly said for both AVP and AVP:R

Boom done.  thank u

Uncanny Antman

Uncanny Antman

Quote from: Spoon on Oct 21, 2007, 10:22:52 PM
ALL THE ALIENS TAILS ARE DONE ON CGI!   Was clearly said for both AVP and AVP:R
Boom done.  thank u

Boom!  Wrong.  All the tails CG?  So wrong it hurts.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed