Starmap: NOT an invitation - so what is it?

Started by 180924609, Jul 05, 2012, 09:18:26 PM

Author
Starmap: NOT an invitation - so what is it? (Read 28,276 times)

I guess? ???

Darth Vile

Darth Vile

Quote from: SiL on Jul 18, 2012, 10:15:55 PM
I can explain it by watching the movie.

They knew there was a signal of non-human origin that they wanted to investigate. They put Ash aboard to make sure it got done. The Special Order also said they wanted the ship to bring back a life-form, that's it. It doesn't specify what. For all the film presents, the Company may well have wanted a sample of whatever it was that made the signal.

If they knew about the Alien, capital A, it makes no sense to send a tug ship. If they knew the signal was from a Space Jockey, or Engineer, or whatever, then considering Prometheus, it also makes no sense they'd reroute the Nostromo. In either of those cases, they would've sent a dedicated team to investigate -- which is exactly what they do in Alien3 when the Company knows there's an Alien on Fiorina. They didn't just nudge the nearest Meals on Plasma Engines in its direction.
So you are just making your own version of events up to justify gaps in logic... Do you really think that they thought through that particular plot arc when introducing Ash into the story/script for Alien? We know that Ash's inclusion, as beneficial to the movie as it is, was a latter addition. I think the fact is that they focused on the premise of an android secretly being on the ship (to serve the company plan) rather than the logic behind it i.e. if the company knew of the alien transmissions, and they had the time to infiltrate the crew of the Nostromo with a company android, why not just send a properly equipped expedition in the first place??? That's a gap in logic right there.

All you are doing SiL is giving your explanation as to why that may not be the case (which is fine)... but your explanation is not presented in the movie. It's your own conjecture... and it's a mass of assumptions.

episodenone

Quote from: 180924609 on Jul 18, 2012, 10:25:08 PM
"something very familiar about all this..."

Biff -- one of the most underrated antagonists in movie history.

RoaryUK

Well anyway, all I was saying in my previous comment was it doesn't need to be in the movie, the Company could have easliy orchestrated everything from the background, it's all hypothetical of course but then you can also argue why shouldn't W/Y want to keep track!

Anonymous User

Anonymous User

Quote from: Darth Vile on Jul 18, 2012, 06:57:30 PM
Quote from: SiL on Jul 18, 2012, 10:46:01 AM
I'm saying what I said; one can't fault the films for not supporting one's reading.

It doesn't make sense to say the movies are full of plot holes or gaps in logic, if the holes and gaps in logic only exist because of people assuming something not actually in evidence.

DarthVile claims that the whole situation with Aliens is nonsensical because he's operating under the assumption that the Company and Burke explicitly knew about the Aliens. The movie, through its own dialogue and actions, shows this isn't the case. The film isn't faulty; DarthVile's assumptions are.
So how the fuc*k do YOU explain Ash being on board the Nostromo? Happy coincidence? Apply that same logic to Prometheus. At least apply some consistency when trying to look through your rose tinted spectacles...
Hoho .. you don't need to be rude to assert your opinion. You may be wrong you know? Wrong and rude is not a good combination.

So for you, Ash being on board of Nostromo means Weyland knew about Xeno? Can you then tell us where you get that idea from?

• Do you know from the movie about other WY mining expeditions apart from Nostromo?
  • Do you know from the movie whether WY always includes an android (as science officer in Alien) in each mining expedition or only in Nostromo?
  • Do you know  from the movie whether it was the first expedition for the crew or whether they have been doing that regularly as a team (and hence Ash has always been part of the team)?

Tell us exactly which scene/dialogue in the movie which supports your assumption. Or is this just your speculative imagination? If it is, then refrain from using rude language. What you think of Alien may be true ... but only in your head.

Quote from: SiL on Jul 18, 2012, 10:15:55 PMThey knew there was a signal of non-human origin that they wanted to investigate. They put Ash aboard to make sure it got done.
The computer on board, Mother, only manages to decode part of the distress signal (which is actually a warning message rather than S.O.S) once some men are already on the planet. And there is no dialogue or scene showing that the company had prior knowledge apart from that.

RoaryUK

Quote from: Anonymous User on Jul 19, 2012, 12:21:28 PM
Quote from: Darth Vile on Jul 18, 2012, 06:57:30 PM
Quote from: SiL on Jul 18, 2012, 10:46:01 AM
I'm saying what I said; one can't fault the films for not supporting one's reading.

It doesn't make sense to say the movies are full of plot holes or gaps in logic, if the holes and gaps in logic only exist because of people assuming something not actually in evidence.

DarthVile claims that the whole situation with Aliens is nonsensical because he's operating under the assumption that the Company and Burke explicitly knew about the Aliens. The movie, through its own dialogue and actions, shows this isn't the case. The film isn't faulty; DarthVile's assumptions are.
So how the fuc*k do YOU explain Ash being on board the Nostromo? Happy coincidence? Apply that same logic to Prometheus. At least apply some consistency when trying to look through your rose tinted spectacles...
Hoho .. you don't need to be rude to assert your opinion. You may be wrong you know? Wrong and rude is not a good combination.

So for you, Ash being on board of Nostromo means Weyland knew about Xeno? Can you then tell us where you get that idea from?

• Do you know from the movie about other WY mining expeditions apart from Nostromo?
  • Do you know from the movie whether WY always includes an android (as science officer in Alien) in each mining expedition or only in Nostromo?
  • Do you know  from the movie whether it was the first expedition for the crew or whether they have been doing that regularly as a team (and hence Ash has always been part of the team)?

Tell us exactly which scene/dialogue in the movie which supports your assumption. Or is this just your speculative imagination? If it is, then refrain from using rude language. What you think of Alien may be true ... but only in your head.

Yes we know there's no evidence, but isn't it perfectly logical to "assume" Ash could have been relaying his findings back to W/Y, the Nostromo may have been just a commercial frigate but she was able to send and receive, so why not?  We just don't know that!

Anonymous User

Anonymous User

Quote from: SM on Jul 18, 2012, 11:37:43 PMsrsly...

I guess some people are just into digging holes.
So true

Quote from: RoaryUK on Jul 19, 2012, 12:32:06 PMYes we know there's no evidence, but isn't it perfectly logical to "assume" Ash could have been relaying his findings back to W/Y, the Nostromo may have been just a commercial frigate but she was able to send and receive, so why not?  We just don't know that!
If there is no evidence, then there is no perfectly logical assumption. You are of course free to imagine what you want to add to the movie but keep it for yourself.

I personally don't need to know whether WY had prior knowledge or not. I am happy with the fact that Nostromo on her way back to Earth picks up a distress signal and sends the crew down to LV-426 for a rescue operation. It is a pure coincidence.

RoaryUK

Quote from: Anonymous User on Jul 19, 2012, 12:37:54 PM
Quote from: SM on Jul 18, 2012, 11:37:43 PMsrsly...

I guess some people are just into digging holes.
So true

Quote from: RoaryUK on Jul 19, 2012, 12:32:06 PMYes we know there's no evidence, but isn't it perfectly logical to "assume" Ash could have been relaying his findings back to W/Y, the Nostromo may have been just a commercial frigate but she was able to send and receive, so why not?  We just don't know that!
If there is no evidence, then there is no perfectly logical assumption. You are of course free to imagine what you want to add to the movie but keep it for yourself.

I personally don't need to know whether WY had prior knowledge or not. I am happy with the fact that Nostromo on her way back to Earth picks up a distress signal and sends the crew down to LV-426 for a rescue operation. It is a pure coincidence.

Who cares what you want it's called debate!!  There are lots of questions these movies leave we all like to dsicuss.  People still talk about the egg on the Sulaco because it was there, there was no evidence to say how, just like I'm suggesting the Company could have been involved all along because they are part of every movie, no one can say either of us is right or wrong.  And don't tell me how to keep things to myself when I have as much right to be here!!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed