Predator: If It Bleeds - New Predator Anthology

Started by Corporal Hicks, Aug 02, 2016, 03:47:44 PM

Author
Predator: If It Bleeds - New Predator Anthology (Read 121,785 times)

HuDaFuK

Quote from: BryanThomasS on Aug 28, 2018, 02:33:56 PMThat was technically a Colonial Marines antho.

There were also stories that didn't feature any Marines ;)

Quote from: BryanThomasS on Aug 28, 2018, 02:33:56 PMThey are doing a sequel to it also.

That's interesting. It was a bit all over the place to say the least, so I'm kinda surprised they're having another go at it. Glad they are though. Hopefully the next one will be a little tighter.

Quote from: BryanThomasS on Aug 28, 2018, 02:33:56 PMThis is indisputedly a predator antho.

Well if it's of similar standard to the first, I'll look forward to it!

Denton Smalls

Quote from: Wweyland on Aug 28, 2018, 05:05:00 PM
Quote from: Denton Smalls on Aug 28, 2018, 04:28:06 PM
Quote from: Wweyland on Aug 28, 2018, 02:51:27 PM
Quote from: BryanThomasS on Aug 28, 2018, 02:33:56 PM
That was technically a Colonial Marines antho. They are doing a sequel to it also. This is indisputedly a predator antho.
A sequel to Bug Hunt? Very interesting!

Solid!!! I hope they continue the story of the three elite marines that get sent to Fury 161 ten years after Alien 3 and find a nest.
Agreed, that was the most interesting story, although it did not directly reference Xenomorphs. Maybe the livestock of Fury 161 evolved and want revenge.

Babe the ox is pissed he didn't make the theatrical cut.

The Old One

The Old One

Nobody else interested in an expansion of a universe beyond the Predator creature?

To step out of Val Verde, into a futuristic Los Angeles and who knows what that's progressed to.

BryanThomasS

One can add creatures while still including the titular beast. But based on fan reaction and reviews, the beast is the draw.

The Old One

The Old One

I'm not talking about the creatures, more so the living-breathing environment.

If I had my way Predator would be dropped into a variant of Cyberpunk.

Xiggz456

Quote from: BryanThomasS on Aug 28, 2018, 02:33:56 PM
That was technically a Colonial Marines antho. They are doing a sequel to it also. This is indisputedly a predator antho.

Thanks for keeping us appraised of all the awesomeness Titan has in store for us! Could you perhaps give me a range of the number of copies "If It Bleeds" sold (I majored in Business so I kind of nerd out on sales data... specifically when it comes to franchises I nerd out on).  Also do you know if we'll be getting the DH Press Predator novels in an omnibus?

BryanThomasS

No idea about the DH novels. I have no definitive numbers but my bookscan says 9600 paper copies of IF IT BLEEDS have sold since October, which us a strong showing for an anthology. But they would be quicker to greenlight if it had been higher. So mid-range for publishing media titles.

Xiggz456

Thanks Mr. Schmidt!  9600 is nothing to scoff at. I once saw an article on Publishers Weekly that said only 2% of books sell over 5000 copies (it was an older article so I'm not sure what the current market looks like). Here's to hoping you get over 10k sold come October!

Wysps

Quote from: BryanThomasS on Aug 28, 2018, 09:43:00 PM
One can add creatures while still including the titular beast. But based on fan reaction and reviews, the beast is the draw.

Add creatures such as other intelligent life forms, or animals to hunt/be hunted by?

The Old One

The Old One

The first would be considerably more difficult than the latter, especially if you want to associate with Alien.

Which is a universe that is more Dark Souls, full of ruins, strange structures and inhuman remains rather than sentient beings.
You'd have to really, really go abstract if you want their inclusion to be worthwhile so I'm not just asking-
"Why aren't these just humans with cybernetics or humans that generationally were changed by a planet's gravity?"

With that in mind, I'd much prefer to see the Predator hunting monsters both mundane like a giant insect and extreme like a Dune worm or
something akin to  the world serpent from ancient mythology.
& Again, I feel the world of the human beings in Predator needs expansion
in that way I can look at an environment from an Alien film and in many ways it stands on it's own two feet even without the creature itself.

Wysps

They've already shown other intelligent species on the Predator side in the printed media. In particular, I wouldn't mind hearing about those guys from Fire and Stone, or something similar.

Wweyland

I wonder if Bug Hunt sold better than If It Bleeds.

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: Wysps on Aug 29, 2018, 11:40:55 AM
They've already shown other intelligent species on the Predator side in the printed media.
In particular, I wouldn't mind hearing about those guys from Fire and Stone, or something similar.

Couldn't they essentially just be humans in a narrative sense? If so what's the point?
Does it make sense to have Star Trek style Aliens that are humans all but name just with a different culture in this universe?
As R.S would say:
"I don't think so."

Wysps

Wysps

No, on the Predator side we've been introduced to other intelligent alien species that don't resemble humans, if that's what you're referring to (i.e. not Engineers). 

But to add to that, I will say that a pain point for me in science fiction is aliens that are basically humans with blue skin or tails/cat ears/etc.  I've never understood how that amounts to creativity in any way, but there's something for everyone I guess.  I didn't like The Arrival, but I appreciate the risk it took in portraying an intelligent species that far from human form.

The Old One

The Old One

I'm not talking just physically but behaviourally.

For instance, the space opera Mass Effect- most of the species that aren't the Rachni, Reapers, Geth are essentially just humans
with different morphology, with culture derived from one of humanity's own.

That kind of thing doesn't belong in AVP IMO

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed