The Rage War: A three part Alien / Predator epic by Tim Lebbon

Started by Perfect-Organism, Nov 18, 2014, 10:44:01 PM

Author
The Rage War: A three part Alien / Predator epic by Tim Lebbon (Read 239,593 times)

SM

Apologies, I didn't see your edit earlier.

But even then I'm not sure that proves your point.  As Allie says "there's a chance there'll be some similarities".

predxeno

Yeah, and in an interview, Christopher Sebela (author of AVP Fire and Stone) said, "I think we all agreed pretty early on to leave the movies behind."  If Scott Allie says otherwise, then it goes to say that Sebela was wrong.

SM

Does that not indicate it might be from either source?

predxeno

It's like comparing differing statements from the senator of (insert state here) or the President of the United States, who do you think people will trust?

SM

Depends who they voted for.

Engineer

Quote from: predxeno on Aug 20, 2015, 12:37:21 AM
As I said before, the entire idea of Fire and Stone is that it's a reboot of the franchise therefore none of the previous EU would belong in the story.  Can you name another aspect of the previous EU in either the Aliens or Predator franchise that somehow made it into Fire and Stone?

I just re-discovered an interview with Editor-In-Chief Scott Allie who oversaw ALL 4 story arcs in Fire and Stone, and this is what he said on the matter:

QuoteDo you plan on revisiting any classic Alien or Predator comic storylines, like Marvel does with its Ultimate comics?

Scott Allie: Nope, that's definitely not the focus here. We're more careful to not repeat things we've done before, although with so many comics in the past, there's a chance there'll be some similarities. But that's not a goal.

Which of the movies are you not treating as canon?

Scott Allie: I think we're treating them all as canon, but it's a big universe, and the human race has been around a long time. Some films are closer to our timeline than others, and we're guided more by the earlier films, and by Prometheus.

http://io9.com/see-dark-horses-first-alien-predator-avp-and-prometh-1500505424?dfp_pp_ab=on&dfp_desktop_three=off&utm_expid=66866090-43.E9Bjfd6NTuSlXJewu2e_Ig.1&utm_referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

Ultimately, I think it's clear from these words that the writers took ALL the movies to be canon and took NONE of the previous comics as relevant.

I can name another aspect from the original comics that found its way into fire and stone:

Aliens and predators fighting with each other! Lol

But seriously. I'd have to agree with SM on this. Blooding originated in the comics. It found its way to the film, and eventually fire and stone. It wouldn't have been in F&S if it weren't for the original comics (nor in the films, for that matter). But unless there's a quote from an author or something that specifically says "oh yea, we borrowed blooding from the film," I would be inclined to think otherwise. My opinion. Sources of inspiration aside, the films were inspired by the original comics, so even if F&S was inspired by the films it's ultimately inspired by the original comics as well by extension.

predxeno

Quote from: Engineer on Aug 20, 2015, 03:07:52 AM
As I said before, the entire idea of Fire and Stone is that it's a reboot of the franchise therefore none of the previous EU would belong in the story.  Can you name another aspect of the previous EU in either the Aliens or Predator franchise that somehow made it into Fire and Stone?

I just re-discovered an interview with Editor-In-Chief Scott Allie who oversaw ALL 4 story arcs in Fire and Stone, and this is what he said on the matter:

QuoteDo you plan on revisiting any classic Alien or Predator comic storylines, like Marvel does with its Ultimate comics?

Scott Allie: Nope, that's definitely not the focus here. We're more careful to not repeat things we've done before, although with so many comics in the past, there's a chance there'll be some similarities. But that's not a goal.

Scott Allie: I think we're treating them all as canon, but it's a big universe, and the human race has been around a long time. Some films are closer to our timeline than others, and we're guided more by the earlier films, and by Prometheus.

http://io9.com/see-dark-horses-first-alien-predator-avp-and-prometh-1500505424?dfp_pp_ab=on&dfp_desktop_three=off&utm_expid=66866090-43.E9Bjfd6NTuSlXJewu2e_Ig.1&utm_referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

Ultimately, I think it's clear from these words that the writers took ALL the movies to be canon and took NONE of the previous comics as relevant.

I can name another aspect from the original comics that found its way into fire and stone:

But seriously. I'd have to agree with SM on this. Blooding originated in the comics. It found its way to the film, and eventually fire and stone. It wouldn't have been in F&S if it weren't for the original comics (nor in the films, for that matter). But unless there's a quote from an author or something that specifically says "oh yea, we borrowed blooding from the film," I would be inclined to think otherwise. My opinion. Sources of inspiration aside, the films were inspired by the original comics, so even if F&S was inspired by the films it's ultimately inspired by the original comics as well by extension.

Uh, the quote has already been provided and is even featured in your post.

Engineer

Engineer

Quote from: SM on Aug 20, 2015, 02:15:05 AM
Depends who they voted for.
I voted for the other guy.... Every time. :-(

Quote from: predxeno on Aug 20, 2015, 03:09:21 AM
Quote from: Engineer on Aug 20, 2015, 03:07:52 AM

Uh, the quote has already been provided and is even featured in your post.
Uh no! That quote does NOT specifically say "we got blooding from the movies not the original comics." Try again. :-)

Perfect-Organism

Regardless of what anybody says, the idea of blooding did originate in DH comics.  Since DH comics did Fire and Stone, it stands to reason that they are aware of the source material they generated.  Whether consciously or subconsciously, the idea started with DHP #36 I believe, where we see the first Predator get blooded.  I think issue #35 had images of a blooded Predator but we had no idea where that was from until next issue.  Case closed.  (Yah right. ;))

predxeno

QuoteUh no! That quote does NOT specifically say "we got blooding from the movies not the original comics." Try again. :-)

Uh, yeah it did; Scott Allie specifically said they did not use any of the previous comic book material in Fire and Stone but they did use the movies.  Do I really need to connect the dots for you?

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Aug 20, 2015, 04:57:59 AM
Regardless of what anybody says, the idea of blooding did originate in DH comics.  Since DH comics did Fire and Stone, it stands to reason that they are aware of the source material they generated.  Whether consciously or subconsciously, the idea started with DHP #36 I believe, where we see the first Predator get blooded.  I think issue #35 had images of a blooded Predator but we had no idea where that was from until next issue.  Case closed.  (Yah right. ;))

Yes, blooding began in the comic books but it's clear that the movie had an influence on Fire and Stone, I mean the "blooding" on Fire and Stone features the movie's mark, NOT the comic book's mark.  How are you going to argue your way out of that one?

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: predxeno on Aug 19, 2015, 10:16:31 PM
It was a joke, get a sense of humor.

Quit with the attitude please.

predxeno

Sorry, it was a bit much in hind sight.

Corporal Hicks

I can see what you're trying to saw, Predxeno. That because Fire and Stone is supposed to be rebooting the comics and that the others would be ignoring then it has to be because that element that came from the comic was used in the film and is included in a series ignoring the comics it has to come from the film. However, I think your logic is far too linear here.

The blooding idea is merely a concept. A concept that is quite integral to the Aliens vs. Predator concept (a concept which started in comic, not film). It would seem more to me that the idea of a reboot is to ignore complete stories from the past - not entire concepts. By that logic I'm going to say that Fire and Stone had Aliens fighting Predators...well...that must be because they fought against each other in the film.

Regardless, I've Tweeted Chris Sebela to ask him where he draw inspiration for the blooding from.

The Alien Predator

I think all of you have some good points.

The only thing that is similar with the AvP movies is the shape of the scar.

Now, when you look at how the Predators react to this scar, you see some differences.

In the films, the Elder simply gave Alex a spear and left her.

In the comics, Machiko Noguchi got accepted as an equal and lived amongst them.

Now, Elden also got accepted by Ahab, when you see the moment when Elden calls Ahab his "brother" and Ahab gives Elden that little Predator hug. That to me feels like it's closer to the comics than the movies.

So, in the end, you all may be right that the F&S comics took elements from comics and the films (but a bit more from the comics regarding to how Ahab reacted to the scar by seemingly accepting Elden rather than just sparing him and giving him a gift like with Alex in the film.)

Samhain13

Samhain13

Quote from: SM on Aug 19, 2015, 10:03:29 PM

It's the most coherent it's been in a long time.

Until the new alien 3 comes around and tries to do to alien 3 and alien r. what Fire and Stone did to the old comics. Its like Fox is trying to prove there is no official canon or continuity on the franchise.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed