Expanded Universe

Started by Kenner_Alien_Kaste, Jul 12, 2019, 11:11:58 PM

What are your thoughts on the EU as a whole?

It's awesome
4 (10%)
It's mostly good
11 (27.5%)
It's got good and bad
22 (55%)
I don't like much of it
3 (7.5%)
I hate all of it
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Author
Expanded Universe (Read 8,266 times)

SM

SM

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Jul 24, 2019, 08:42:47 PM
Quote from: Kimarhi on Jul 24, 2019, 03:12:46 AM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Jul 24, 2019, 02:27:11 AM
Quote from: Xiggz456 on Jul 23, 2019, 06:22:40 PM
My favs of the 90s are:

1. The original 6 issue AVP
2. Salvation
3. Apocalypse
4. Rogue
5. Labyrinth

Side note: I absolutely love the artwork on Nightmare Asylum but I find Verheiden's writing to be a tad cheesy.

Least favorite: Kidnapped

It took a very long time for Kidnapped to grow on me. It's far from my favorite Aliens comic, and I'm really hesitant to recommend it except for in specific circumstances, but I don't totally despise it like I used to.

I never hated it either. 

You do have to try some different stuff in the EU lest every story is a trucker getting eaten in space or a CM getting eaten trying to save colonist story.

Of course I don't think you can be THAT experimental in the films, but the EU is fine. 

My favorite random comic that nobody else ever seems to like is Alchemy.  It and Sacrifice are the only two I ever thought tried to draw from Alien 3 as a source. 

I also liked AvP Eternal as my 2nd favorite AvP story. 

Nah, Alchemy is great.

Yep.

The Old One

The Old One

Alchemy is so memorable amongst all the rest precisely because it's so unique, the holographic projection, religious fervour and the Alien's depiction. M'wah.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

I'm also pretty big on the Corben art, although I know plenty are not.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Alchemy is really cool, and the villain is a pretty memorable piece of shit that you can't wait to get murdered.

Kenner_Alien_Kaste

Kenner_Alien_Kaste

Quote from: Xenomrph on Jul 25, 2019, 03:03:53 AM
Alchemy is really cool, and the villain is a pretty memorable piece of shit that you can't wait to get murdered.

Like Carter Burke, eh? The guy so loathed that the mother of the actor nodded when he was turned into Alien chow.

The Old One

The Old One

Really? Fantastic. lol

Kenner_Alien_Kaste

Kenner_Alien_Kaste

Quote from: The Old One on Jul 25, 2019, 02:40:51 PM
Really? Fantastic. lol

I think Ripley said it best-"You know, Burke, I'm not sure which species is worse. You don't see them f**king each other over for a goddamn percentage."

The Old One

The Old One

Indeed. You're right.

Kenner_Alien_Kaste

Kenner_Alien_Kaste

Quote from: The Old One on Jul 28, 2019, 02:36:24 AM
Indeed. You're right.

So that's what being right feels like  ;D

The Old One

The Old One

I'm sure you know by now.

Xiggz456

Xiggz456

I would say Alchemy is John Arcudi's most tonally succinct Aliens story but I really enjoy "Alien" for its originality. So I'd rate Arcudi's stories as

1. Alchemy
2. Alien
3. Stronghold
4. More than Human
5. Genocide
6. Reapers
7. The Alien

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I don't remember which one that is.

One of them if I remember right was about a tribe of aliens, an actual Alien, and a crashed human survivor.

But I don't remember if it was Alien or The Alien (or if it is actually either one of them).

I'd say Stronghold is probably my favorite.  Then Alchemy.  I'd have to throw Genocide up there as well, it is pretty formulaic with flat characters, but I read the shit out of it when I was a kid.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: Kimarhi on Jul 28, 2019, 04:42:05 PM

One of them if I remember right was about a tribe of aliens, an actual Alien, and a crashed human survivor.

But I don't remember if it was Alien or The Alien (or if it is actually either one of them).
"Aliens: The Alien" has a Space Jockey meeting with the President of the United States and subsequently getting blown out of the sky by ICBMs.

"Aliens: Alien" is the one you're thinking of with the tribe of extraterrestrials.

Kenner_Alien_Kaste

Kenner_Alien_Kaste

Quote from: Xenomrph on Jul 28, 2019, 06:47:53 PM
"Aliens: The Alien" has a Space Jockey meeting with the President of the United States and subsequently getting blown out of the sky by ICBMs.

"Aliens: Alien" is the one you're thinking of with the tribe of extraterrestrials.

Those titles sound WAY too similar, let's be honest.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Quote from: Xenomrph on Jul 28, 2019, 06:47:53 PM
Quote from: Kimarhi on Jul 28, 2019, 04:42:05 PM

I remember the SJ one now. 

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed