Do you think that Covenant deserve/will eventually repeat fate of Alien 3?

Started by Kradan, Feb 06, 2019, 01:44:57 PM

Author
Do you think that Covenant deserve/will eventually repeat fate of Alien 3? (Read 4,666 times)

SM

Quote from: 426Buddy on Feb 07, 2019, 11:08:26 PM
I think the first two films are masterpieces

I enjoy Alien3 but consider it a terribly flawed film. I think the film had potential to be something truly great. Unfortunately it's too much of a mess consider it a classic or a masterpiece. I rank Alien3, Covenant, and Prometheus all about the same, good but not great.

Alien is on another level though, the best of the series.

Agreed.

Except I'd rate Prometheus and Covenant a bit above Alien 3.

Samhain13

I might rank the Covenant Evanus edit above Alien 3 or a tie at least.

426Buddy

I've actually returned to Covenant often since its release, despite its flaws. I enjoyed it when I first watched it in theaters and probably a little more now. I love the backburster, the soundtrack in that scene is just haunting.

Prometheus though... I remember going into the theater being super excited. Even though I knew the reactions here and critically were mixed or negative. After it was over I looked over at my brother with a confused look on my face and said "Well uhh that was okay... I think", that was the best I could come up with lol. Its a beautiful film but with mountains of wasted potential. The story leaves me feeling unsatisfied. 

The Old One

The Old One

Not a mountain of wasted potential, an entire system's worth of planets of wasted potential.

SiL

Quote from: SM on Feb 07, 2019, 10:22:52 PM
I don't see how it's a masterpiece by any measure or with any qualifier.
The soundtrack is a masterpiece at least.

The Old One

The Old One

Indeed.

SM

Quote from: SiL on Feb 07, 2019, 11:52:34 PM

Yeah pay that.

Huggs

Quote from: SM on Feb 08, 2019, 12:06:34 AM
Quote from: SiL on Feb 07, 2019, 11:52:34 PM

Yeah pay that.

There ya go.

D88M

I dont understand the question, but no

Sway

Personally, I prefer Alien 3 to Aliens. It's a much darker, claustrophobic film. Aliens was great, but at the end of the day it's basically just another stereotypical 80's action flick. I also thought, and still think, Covenant is fantastic. Saw it in theaters twice, and bought it as soon as it came out.

SM

Yeah, all those movies with women fighting space monsters with space soldiers got real old, real quick.

Kradan

Quote from: SM on Feb 10, 2019, 10:04:56 PM
Yeah, all those movies with women fighting space monsters with space soldiers got real old, real quick.

It's pity to hear. I disagree with that. I read a lot of those coments like " Aliens is just 80's popcorn flick" and they're influenced my opinion about the movie to some degree. But recently i've rewatched it and instantly remembered that i LOVE Aliens. Yeah it's action movie, really well made action movie by the way, but i'm confident that it's more than just action for the sake of action.

SM

I was being sarcastic.  ;)

There's the odd aspect of Aliens that's stereotypical (some characters, the evil suits), but beyond that, dismissing it as "basically just another stereotypical 80's action flick" is extremely reductive.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Its barely even an action film by todays standards.

Isnt the first actual alien shown almost an hour into the film? Then it builds incredible tension until it crescendos with the queen .

I always felt it was a perfect formula of tension, terror, and action.

The Old One

The Old One

Agreed, SM.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed