Could have been better. (2/5)
61 (13.3%)
Didn't like it. (1/5)
32 (7%)
Hated it! (0/5)
30 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 457

Author
Alien Covenant Fan Reviews (Read 284,077 times)

Scorpio

Scorpio

David himself said that he studied the ways of the Engineers during the Prologue segment.  This means that he could have had access to an onboard computer on the Juggernaut and downloaded all the knowledge of the Engineers.  This would then allow him to reconstruct the Engineer's ultimate creation - the Xenomorph.  Yes, that being depicted on a mural inside one of the Engineer temples.

This isn't explained in the film because it is not necessary for the narrative, but it is heavily implied with the Prologue scene (yes it was cut from the movie, but it was officially released prior to the movie).

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I rewatched Covenant again over the weekend. First time since the initial home release back in October (in the UK). I enjoy it still! I still dislike the inclusion and handling of the Alien and think the last third with it is disappointing but there's still so much I enjoy about the film! It still places 4th (the original trilogy all being tied for 1st) in my list. I absolutely love the soundtrack too.

Gaunchola

Gaunchola

Quote from: ChrisPachi on Jan 29, 2018, 09:00:11 AM
Quote from: Scorpio on Jan 28, 2018, 02:57:43 AMThe reason people hate Covenant, is that they were expecting something else than what they got [...] ]Even Aliens, the most popular, does this, by making it an action movie instead of another haunted house in space movie

So that's why I hate Aliens so much.

I had to wait for a moment . After this I had to laugh my ass off - epic , straight and so fitting . Man , I could feel it ...  :laugh:

I really agree on this one here . Prometheus and Covenant are simply not what a " average Alien Fan " would except . Or love to watch .
The characters aren ´t edgy . Nothing is really spooky at all ( and you might consider age right here , but give a damn ) . To say the least :
Look at this very last Alien in Prometheus . Totally lost on a far away outpost , right after having wittnessed the happy meal has left in a flying thing that
looks like a pretzel . This has got to be cruel , and so are these two stupid movies ...
Polished , but hollow . 

Scorpio

Scorpio

You want hollow go watch Tomb Raider or many of the movies coming out.  People have made dozens of videos, written essays and articles about the meanings behind Prometheus and Covenant.  If it were hollow that means it has no substance, it is just popcorn entertainment for the masses.  Ridley Scott does not make those kind of movies.  There are some deep ideas behind them, and somehow this does not make them pretentious. 

Alien Covenant is one of my favourite films at this moment.  I have the bluray and have watched it at least a dozen times.

Yes, they did not need to include the alien, but that part is entertaining so it doesn't bother me.  The alien kicked a lot of arse in this film, it had some great moments, some of the best in the series.  One alien is actually a threat again, it hasn't been that way since Alien 3.

SM

SM

Two Aliens killed all of one people.

Three if you count the hosts.

The Neomorphs had a better strike rate than that.

Not sure it qualifies as 'kicking arse'.

426Buddy

426Buddy

I did like the scene where the alien took out that guy in davids lair. That was pretty cool.

SM

SM

I didn't realise until someone pointed it out, but I think it could've had a better reveal since it's chronologically the first Alien.  I wonder if someone watching an Alien film for the first time might wonder - 'what the hell is that and where did it come from?'

skhellter

skhellter

Quote from: SM on Apr 04, 2018, 03:09:31 AM
Two Aliens killed all of one people.

1 dumb dude with a gun
2 people in a shower
2 hosts.

Bad results.
But they had a lot of energy and they seem like promising youngsters.

SM

SM

Oh yeah.  Forgot about the shower.

Neomorphs still win but.

Ledward, Hallett, Karine, Ankor, Rosenthal (plus an assist for Faris and one synthetic hand).

skhellter

skhellter

Next iterations are superior :)

I can forgive a few youngsters for slacking a bit.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: SM on Apr 04, 2018, 03:28:38 AM
I didn't realise until someone pointed it out, but I think it could've had a better reveal since it's chronologically the first Alien.  I wonder if someone watching an Alien film for the first time might wonder - 'what the hell is that and where did it come from?'
That intro was more like something out of an AvP movie. Given no time, no importance, just "Hi, it's here now!".

Hell, the only difference between the xeno and the Neomorphs in the film was one bled acid. Functionally, that was it. They moved the same, sounded the same, and acted the same.

Scorpio

Scorpio

Quote from: SM on Apr 04, 2018, 03:09:31 AM

Not sure it qualifies as 'kicking arse'.

They didn't have the time.

The other aliens had more time to kill. 

If you go by kills per hour of life, the Covenant xenos win.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: SiL on Apr 04, 2018, 04:24:48 AMThat intro was more like something out of an AvP movie. Given no time, no importance, just "Hi, it's here now!".

Yeah, once the original Alien shows up the film really goes off the rails in terms of pacing and editing.

It's a shame, if the stuff I disliked had been spread more evenly throughout the film, I'd probably like it more. But because it's all lumped in the final act, it leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth as the credits start rolling.

Quote from: Scorpio on Apr 04, 2018, 05:46:35 AMThey didn't have the time.

The other aliens had more time to kill. 

If you go by kills per hour of life, the Covenant xenos win.

What about when the Xenomorph attacked a crane for no reason and got itself smushed?

Or ran into a digger?

The Xenomorphs in Covenant really did seem excruciatingly dumb at times.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Apr 04, 2018, 08:22:06 AM
What about when the Xenomorph attacked a crane for no reason and got itself smushed?

Apparently that was because it was supposed to have thought it looked similar to itself/the Neo and as such a threat. That might have worked better had they left the fight with the Neomorph in. Not sure the intent would have translated too well on film though.

skhellter

skhellter

Big moving thing with what appeared to look like "teeth".....

Aliens are smart but... they are still animals (despite hudson's freak outs).

and these are proto-xenos. Lots to improve still.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed