Could have been better. (2/5)
60 (13.1%)
Didn't like it. (1/5)
32 (7%)
Hated it! (0/5)
30 (6.6%)

Total Members Voted: 456

Author
Alien Covenant Fan Reviews (Read 277,809 times)

SM

SM

People do so love to be told, without a trace of irony, why they don't like something by someone who does.

Scorpio

Scorpio

Well he said "It did not even feel like a Ridley Scott film at all." so I assumed that was why he didn't like the film.  I could be wrong, he may not like it for some other reason, or maybe he (or she) has no reason for not liking the film.  No problem at all with that.  We are all different, with our own personal likes, dislikes and preferences.

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Quote from: Scorpio on Jan 28, 2018, 02:57:43 AMThe reason people hate Covenant, is that they were expecting something else than what they got [...] ]Even Aliens, the most popular, does this, by making it an action movie instead of another haunted house in space movie

So that's why I hate Aliens so much.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Scorpio on Jan 28, 2018, 02:57:43 AMThe reason people hate Covenant, is that they were expecting something else than what they got.

No, they hate it because it's not a very good film.

Scorpio

Scorpio

It's not a good film it's a great film.

Alionic

Alionic

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jan 30, 2018, 03:28:49 PM
Quote from: Scorpio on Jan 28, 2018, 02:57:43 AMThe reason people hate Covenant, is that they were expecting something else than what they got.

No, they hate it because it's not a very good film.

It was marketed as something other than we got, to be fair.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Was it really, though? It was pretty much a slasher film like the trailer, with a lengthy digression about a robot with daddy issues.

Alionic

Alionic

Quote from: KiramidHead on Jan 31, 2018, 03:50:27 AM
Was it really, though? It was pretty much a slasher film like the trailer, with a lengthy digression about a robot with daddy issues.

The Alien took a backseat to an android, and none of this was indicated in the trailers.

Scorpio

Scorpio

It was marketed as Alien 2.0, a reboot of Alien essentially.  But also a sequel to Prometheus, that's why they included Fassbender in the trailer.  It's a film with two narratives going on.

It's like if the Nostromo crew found another Ash on LV-426, and then the movie becomes about Ash.  But the opening scene is Ash's 'birth' so you know the movie is going to focus on Ash.

Clearly Ridley is less interested in the Covenant crew, that's why the characters are a little less fleshed out than the Nostromo crew.  This is nothing against the film, however, as the themes of Alien and Covenant are totally different.

I actually enjoyed this slight twist on the original Alien.

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Quote from: Scorpio on Jan 31, 2018, 04:45:00 AMIt's like if the Nostromo crew found another Ash on LV-426, and then the movie becomes about Ash.  But the opening scene is Ash's 'birth' so you know the movie is going to focus on Ash.

You are terrible at defending Covenant.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Scorpio on Jan 31, 2018, 04:45:00 AMIt was marketed as Alien 2.0, a reboot of Alien essentially.  But also a sequel to Prometheus, that's why they included Fassbender in the trailer.  It's a film with two narratives going on.

Your argument that people simply reject things that aren't what they expected kinda falls flat on it's arse when you take into account the final act - which is the section most like the trailers and what we've seen before - is generally the most disliked part of the whole film.

Scorpio

Scorpio

I don't know what people don't like about it, but it's usually the surface narrative people complain about.  Don't you recall Ridley Scott talking about "subtext".  That's where the real film lies, and people don't seem to get it.

It's like if I said "The Shining is just a typical haunted house/slasher movie".  There's so much going on in that film, so many layers.  It gives the film a longer life as people can rediscover it.  I mention The Shining because Ridley is a fan of Kubrick, even cast the bartender from The Shining in Blade Runner as Tyrell.

So all the complaints about it being too tropey, it's like that for a reason. 

Oh, and Covenant doesn't need defending, if you want to waste your energy disliking a film, that's fine.  There are far worse things in the world.

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Quote from: Scorpio on Feb 02, 2018, 02:07:07 PMOh, and Covenant doesn't need defending.

Cool.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Scorpio on Feb 02, 2018, 02:07:07 PM
Oh, and Covenant doesn't need defending,
But you keep doing it?

Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

Quote from: Scorpio on Feb 02, 2018, 02:07:07 PM
I don't know what people don't like about it, but it's usually the surface narrative people complain about.  Don't you recall Ridley Scott talking about "subtext".  That's where the real film lies, and people don't seem to get it.
Being a fan of Covenant, could you explain to me the subtext you're referring to?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed