Mechanics Needing To Be Changed

Started by Xenomorphine, Jan 21, 2010, 02:27:51 AM

Author
Mechanics Needing To Be Changed (Read 77,716 times)

Le Celticant

Quote from: The_Silencer on Jan 27, 2010, 03:14:44 PM
Yep, pure jungle map. Basically trees, dense vegetation and those rocks and elevations ( slopes) I suggested before.

I do not see what's the problem for the alien in it; from a mechanics standpoint.

Well, maybe you do not want a map like this into this game. Nothing to say about it because, as always, that's a matter of tastes. But I can guarantee that thousands of players would love this map due its inherent similarity with the environment sets you can view in the Predator 1 movie.

The problem is mainly for the marine. Dense vegetation is funny at the beginning but extremely boring in the end.
Predator will obviously enjoy play in such maps as Alien because the vegetation makes them truly invisible no matters of cloak, they have an advantage that marines doesn't have: Vision.
It's just a way too stupid to make a map based with one element only (here is vegetation.)
Don't take me wrong, I've nothing against vegetation, it's just there are better use of it as placing many other things.

Revenant

Revenant

Quote from: The_Silencer on Jan 27, 2010, 03:14:44 PM
Yep, pure jungle map. Basically trees, dense vegetation and those rocks and elevations ( slopes) I suggested before.

I do not see what's the problem for the alien in it; from a mechanics standpoint.

Well, maybe you do not want a map like this into this game. Nothing to say about it because, as always, that's a matter of tastes. But I can guarantee that thousands of players would love this map due its inherent similarity with the environment sets you can view in the Predator 1 movie.

Damn i love that map .
It'll be perfect for predator hunt and i'm sure even the marines will find it interesting

Le Celticant

To give you another example:
It's like making an hive map with only hive material (no wall, just 100% hive secretion).
The map would be dark, in fact you can only light areas with shoulder lamp and flares.
There would be many hole everywhere in the map for Alien to came in and out the room.
Sure Alien might enjoy this slaughterhouse but Marine probably ain't be killed every 2 seconds without getting a chance.

It's almost the same thing for the jungle since you can't force player to do whatever you want they won't work in team and get their ass kicked everytime over and over again.
This is unbalanced and bad for mechanics.

I don't mean to remove the dense vegetation in jungle map be warned, just to put other elements where Predator and Alien may have disadvantage if they go in it.

Gameplay must be balance to work well, map also.

The_Silencer

Ok, so we're moving forward. Now imagine this map with some few open areas with transitional areas without all that dense vegetation around. Then imagine the center of the map, some big area with fallen trees on a moderatelly little canyon on a river.

Le Celticant

Quote from: The_Silencer on Jan 27, 2010, 04:21:39 PM
Ok, so we're moving forward. Now imagine this map with some few open areas with transitional areas without all that dense vegetation around. Then imagine the center of the map, some big area with fallen trees on a moderatelly little canyon on a river.

This is what I'm suggesting.
I'm up for a Jungle still map with the condition there is some cave under the jungle that link the four sides of the map.
Some predator temple location and a small marine complex lost somewhere would be extremely appreciated and would balance much more the game.

Revenant

Revenant

Quote from: Le Celticant on Jan 27, 2010, 04:24:51 PM
Quote from: The_Silencer on Jan 27, 2010, 04:21:39 PM

This is what I'm suggesting.
I'm up for a Jungle still map with the condition there is some cave under the jungle that link the four sides of the map.
Some predator temple location and a small marine complex lost somewhere would be extremely appreciated and would balance much more the game.

I feel that if u put all the features for the map listed above , then its gonna be 1 big map.
IF they can pull a map like this off , then this game will rox

The_Silencer

Aliens moving through all that vegeation would not mechanically be a problem. Tall trees would be a good place for both predator and aliens then. Rocks around would be a good cover for every player then. The canyon and its proximity areas could have plenty of holes (or spawning vents ? ) for the alien players. Looks even better to you now?

Le Celticant

If they publish a SDK (which probably won't happen because they think they are fine by making us pay their DLC) I'll be able to do that.
But that is very uncertain they publish a SDK and I don't count too much on it.

The_Silencer

I'm taking you word and if they do publish the editor we'll make this map together then.

Deal? ;)

Le Celticant

Quote from: The_Silencer on Jan 27, 2010, 04:27:55 PM
Aliens moving through all that vegeation would not mechanically be a problem. Tall trees would be a good place for both predator and aliens then. Rocks around would be a good cover for every player then. The canyon and its proximity areas could have plenty of holes (or spawning vents ? ) for the alien players. Looks even better to you now?

Aliens would be a problem. They are fast, can hide very easily on top of tree in the leafs and are almost invisible.
Marines are forced to stay on the ground since they don't have abilities as Jump & WallWalk that Alien and Predator has.
So it became a way too easy for Alien & Predator to kick their ass.
Jungle is a good idea but used in the right hand where Marine could have the right to choose to walk through or not. They shouldn't start since the beginning in it.

QuoteI'm taking you word and if they do publish the editor we'll make this map together then.

Deal?

Don't know yet, I've my own project already for the game, it's pretty much a big thing so no plan for a jungle map at the beginning.
Let's hope they'll publish a SDK.
Maybe later we will  ;)

Revenant

Revenant

I dont think Marines are at a disadavantage , they got a sniper which detects cloaked preds and a smartgun which has automated aiming....

IMO Marines are NEVER at a disadvantage .

The_Silencer

Notice that I mentioned rocks and tall trees hopefully well placed around. Also different slope or elevation levels for the dense jungle chunks.

Aliens and preds will be on top of these geometry and/or prop chunks in the same way you've seen in the "released" promo videos.

No probem, let's hope they do publish the editor (and SDK) then.  :)

"The difference is drinkability"

Le Celticant

Quote from: Revenant on Jan 27, 2010, 04:38:36 PM
I dont think Marines are at a disadavantage , they got a sniper which detects cloaked preds and a smartgun which has automated aiming....

Sure and you gonna tell me that you have 5 eyes around your head and you can watch on front, back, right, left and top when Predator and Alien have only to watch down.
Marine are disadvantage in many situation. Sure when they are at distance they've got all the power to put down an Alien or a Predator.
When thus Predator and Alien get close... your fate is close.
Actually you've got 1 chance out 5 to win the battle, just hope the Alien / Predator will come from your front if you're lucky enough.

Revenant

Revenant

Quote from: Le Celticant on Jan 27, 2010, 04:44:38 PM
Quote from: Revenant on Jan 27, 2010, 04:38:36 PM

Sure and you gonna tell me that you have 5 eyes around your head and you can watch on front, back, right, left and top when Predator and Alien have only to watch down.
Marine are disadvantage in many situation. Sure when they are at distance they've got all the power to put down an Alien or a Predator.
When thus Predator and Alien get close... your fate is close.
Actually you've got 1 chance out 5 to win the battle, just hope the Alien / Predator will come from your front if you're lucky enough.

They'v got a motion tracker for a reason

Le Celticant

The motion tracker gives you direction. Then you can make a 90° arc from down to up and pray the Predator won't be invisible or the Alien hides from your eyes.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed